Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, his stuff has been popping up in my recommendations too since I started reading his books. I've pretty much been adding everything that pops up to my wish/shopping lists.

2. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Like the rest of the series, this book didn't disappoint. I haven't read anything by this man I haven't enjoyed.

[​IMG]

This is from another one of Ron Ripley's book series, called The Haunted Village Series. This is book 2, which I read before book 1 by mistake. lol As usual, I liked the book. I always enjoy Ron Ripley's work.

[​IMG]

Basically this novella is a different perspective on H.P. Lovecraft's The Horror At Red Hook. I don't think it's a must to read HPL's story first, but folks might get more out of this book if they do. I actually like LaValle's story better. This is only the second work of LaValle's I've read, but I definitely plan on reading more. He also has a graphic novel series, "The Destroyer", that looks pretty interesting for anyone into graphic novels.

3. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few more books from the series I just started. I've been enjoying them all so far.

4. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More of the series I've been reading with only two more books to go. Highly entertaining.

5. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final two books of the series. Ron Ripley's stories are always entertaining, and I enjoy how some of his different series are connected somehow via certain characters.

[​IMG]

This author never disappoints.

6. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

I liked it. I've been a Sylvia Plath fan for years, but I never saw her as the martyr like many others have. I also never blamed her husband for her death. From the get-go I recognized that she was an extremely manic depressive person with the multitude of issues that came with that. As all human beings, she and her husband had their personal demons that affected them and their relationship, and I think this author did a good job of conveying that.

[​IMG]

Enjoyable suspense story. It had a good flow, quick pace, and a solid ending.

[​IMG]

The author has a couple of annoying quirks I won't get into, but overall I did enjoy this little anthology. The title story was my favorite of the bunch.

7. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

In the more shadowy corners of the world, frequented by angels and demons and everything in-between, Laytham Ballard is a legend. It's said he raised the dead at the age of ten, stole the Philosopher's Stone in Vegas back in 1999, and survived the bloodsucking kiss of the Mosquito Queen. Wise in the hidden ways of the night, he's also a cynical bastard who stopped thinking of himself as the good guy a long time ago.

Now a promise to a dying friend has Ballard on the trail of an escaped Serbian war criminal with friends in both high and low places—and a sinister history of blood sacrifices. Ballard is hell-bent on making Dusan Slorzack pay for his numerous atrocities, but Slorzack seems to have literally dropped off the face of the Earth, beyond the reach of his enemies, the Illuminati, and maybe even the Devil himself. To find Slorzack, Ballard must follow a winding, treacherous path that stretches from Wall Street and Washington, D.C. to backwoods hollows and truckstops, while risking what's left of his very soul . . . .

The first half of the book is very grounded & dark supernatural horror in tone but eventually begins to lean into more fantasy & some sci fi elements to mellow out the dark horror of the story. The protagonist starts off as somewhat cold and unlikable but as the story progresses and you lean more of his backstory you begin to understand why he seems to be unlikable (but really isn't ). Overall interesting & entertaining read.

[​IMG]

When the Supernatural nations of the world meet up to negotiate an end to ongoing hostilities, Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, joins the White Council's security team to make sure the talks stay civil. But can he succeed, when dark political manipulations threaten the very existence of Chicago—and all he holds dear?

[​IMG]

Harry has faced terrible odds before. He has a long history of fighting enemies above his weight class. The Red Court of vampires. The fallen angels of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. The Outsiders.

But this time it’s different. A being more powerful and dangerous on an order of magnitude beyond what the world has seen in a millennium is coming. And she’s bringing an army. The Last Titan has declared war on the city of Chicago, and has come to subjugate humanity, obliterating any who stand in her way.

Harry’s mission is simple but impossible: Save the city by killing a Titan. And the attempt will change Harry’s life, Chicago, and the mortal world forever.

Two new novels, one big grand story arc. Recommended reads for anyone reading the Dresden Files series.

BONUS AUDIOBOOK CHEAT READ: Had to work three days during Christmas week an none of my regular podcast listening fare that I have as background noise when I work was not available so downloaded an audiobook for replacement background noise.

[​IMG]

Rousing pulp action and steampunk come together in a heartbreaking story of high adventure and alternate history. In the year 1870, a horrible plague of vampires swept over the northern regions of the world. It is now 2020 and a bloody reckoning is coming. Princess Adele is heir to the Empire of Equatoria, a remnant of the old tropical British Empire. When she becomes the target of a merciless vampire clan, her only protector is the Greyfriar, a mysterious hero who fights the vampires from deep within their territory. Their dangerous relationship plays out against an approaching war to the death between humankind and the vampire clans. The first book in a trilogy of high adventure and alternate history. Combining rousing pulp action with steampunk style, the Vampire Empire series brings epic political themes to life within a story of heartbreaking romance, sacrifice, and heroism.

Interesting and entertaining enough that I'll eventually check out the other books in the series.

9. Tamstrong

Any plans on checking out Nightwise 2 any time soon, or is it a no hurry to grab the next installment kind of story?

I still have a way to go on The Dresden Files. I just started book 7 this morning. Between a gift card I was given and a discount deal they had going on for the Dresden books for the holidays, I was able to grab 8-12 at a good price.

Since I overdid it and read too many books during Thanksgiving break (and due to my stupid allergies & insomnia), I've had to ease up on my reading & screen time lately. So annoying and boring (like me lol). My eyes have improved quite a bit since I've been resting them more often and using all the tips/treatments I was told to use, but they're still on the sensitive side. Must be how vampires feel when sunlight is cooking their eyeballs. lol

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I'll get around to checking it out eventually but not anytime soon. Between other books I have on deck to read as well as eventually checking out at least the first Brotherhood of the Wheel novel since it is in the same universe as Nightwise, I'll wait awhile before checking it out.

That was one of the two big pluses from listening to the audiobook I downloaded (actually I got the Kindle version of the book & it came with a free audio download of it as a promotional push to get people to subscribe to Audible) didn't strain my eyes from normal reading & got to "read" or more accurately have a book narrated to me while doing work.

11. Tamstrong

Hmm I didn't realize both series were part of the same universe. Thanks for the info.

I just don't get as much out of the audiobooks as far as "reading" for enjoyment goes ( I tend to get antsy and I just don't get the same out of it not reading it myself), but I may try the listening while I'm working thing. I enjoy listening to music while I work, so I might enjoy the audiobooks that way too.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah, the lead protagonist of the Brotherhood of the Wheel series makes a cameo appearance in one of the chapters of Nightwise and Ballard the protagonist gives a brief run-down of who the Brotherhood are & what they are about.

The only way I could get into audiobooks on a routine basis is if how & why I did it for that week somehow became the norm for my regular work routine. I use to listen to music as my background noise while working but eventually that became stale especially when trying to find new & enjoyable music to listen to, which eventually lead me down the podcast route. New & varied content to listen to on a regular basis unless it's the holidays or content creator have something going on outside of of their podcast that keeps them from putting up new content.

13. Tamstrong

Gotcha.

That makes sense, and the podcast routine does sound a lot better. I may try that out myself for something different. Even the music you love gets old sometimes. That and at school I can't always listen to what I want since headphones/ear pods aren't allowed. I do push the envelope a little bit sometimes with what I play though. lol

It's got me thinking about audiobooks being a possible option for my mother. She used to read a lot, but her vision has gotten so bad as she's aged she can't see well enough to do it anymore. I think being able to listen to them might be an enjoyable way for her to pass her time since she's stuck at my brother's way out in the boonies. She's always loved books and read even more than I do, so I know she misses it. She watches a lot of TV, but she needs more to do to switch things up sometimes. Scratch that idea—she can barely manage a cell phone, so digital is out of the question. And cds would be too expensive. Hmm, maybe a trip to the library every couple of weeks could be arranged. I think if she had more activities to help keep her mind occupied, she might have fewer episodes.

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Digital could still be the way to go with your mother by way of some voice assistant set up but again price might be an issue depending on what device/services you got and how easy or hard it would be for her to remember voice commands needed for device/services.

15. Tamstrong

Unfortunately she wouldn't be able to handle that either. Even before she lost her mind she was stubborn about technology, and trying to teach her to use any of it was/is a waste of time. She won't even try, yet she blames it on the device & whoever showed her how to use it. Anyone trying to teach her risks their own sanity. It's not worth the risk. lol

Maybe I should just load her up with some oldies CDs and some headphones. I don't think she'll be doing any dancing around the house like she used to, but her oldies always seem to perk her up back in the day. And music is an effective mood lifter. She needs something other than the TV. She likes to watch all of those true crime & drama shows, which probably doesn't help her paranoia. I think too much time to think gets her imagination running wild. And you know she's out there enough already.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Both true crime shows & all the various reality shows are the worst mind fuck to be addicted to IMO. True crime like you said makes you paranoid & it's overly depressing if you spend all your time watching it & reality shows make you numb to the actual dumb shit that people around you are doing are saying in real life. My wife likes watching a lot of those reality shows & again IMO is reason the has a hard time picking up on other people's ignorant bullshit right off the bat the I or the twins do.

17. Tamstrong

Yeah, they can be if a person is too into them. It didn't start with my mother until after she got dementia though. It feeds into her paranoia that folks are trying to kill her or steal from her or whatever else she believes is going on. The trouble with reality shows is when people think they actually represent reality. Folks tend to forget it's just TV & more about entertainment & ratings than what's real.

18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You'll be pretty much caught up on most of the series once you get to book twelve. Recommend trying to find deals on books 13 (Ghost Story) &14 (Cold Days) that way we can finally have some off the board conversations about the series.

19. Tamstrong

Sounds good. As soon as I get the ones I have read, I'll be buying some more. Hopefully they have some deals going by then.

20. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All good.