Covid-19 Central

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Madeleine, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Continuing from the findings from story above...

FDA will allow doctors to treat critically ill coronavirus patients with blood from survivors

Experts say the treatment might be the best hope for some patients until more sophisticated drugs are developed.

The Food and Drug Administration will allow doctors across the country to begin using plasma donated by coronavirus survivors to treat patients who are critically ill with the virus under new emergency protocols approved Tuesday...

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that the state's health department planned to begin treating the sickest coronavirus patients with antibody-rich plasma extracted from the blood of those who've recovered.

More...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1167831

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Mental health is real.
    From 2008 and 2014....

Jun 12, 2014
    More Than 10,000 Suicides Tied To Economic Crisis, Study Says
    Melanie Haiken
    Pharma & Healthcare

A dramatic spike in suicides between 2008 and 2010 can be linked with the economic crisis, according to a study published today in the British Journal of Psychiatry.

Researchers from the University of Oxford compared suicide data from before 2007 with the years of the crisis and found more than 10,000 “economic suicides” associated with the recession across the U.S., Canada and Europe...

More -
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/melani...-suicides-tied-to-economic-crisis-study-says/

Coronavirus: Teen who feared isolation dies after trying to take her own life
    Emily Owen, 19, was said to be struggling to cope with the prospect of her "world closing in" and had warned her family that people would take their own lives due to coronavirus isolation

[​IMG]

A teenager who feared being isolated with coronavirus tragically died after attempting to take her life.

Tributes were today paid to “funny and charming” Emily Owen, 19, who died in hospital after a suicide attempt.

The young waitress was said to have been unable to cope “with her world closing in, plans being cancelled and being stuck inside”.

Her devastated family tonight demanded more awareness and support for people struggling with mental health issues during the deadly virus pandemic...

R.I.P
    [​IMG]

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-teen-who-feared-isolation-21749766

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

This article has some pretty cool visual modeling of viral outbreaks like the coronavirus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

The function itself changes by social distancing. Just like these different exponential functions. The Red is the steepest curve. (Bigger Function) We can have it more like the Black function if we continue social distancing. Or more like the Red function if we don't.
    [​IMG]

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

'Self-swab' coronavirus tests just approved by the FDA work just as well as diagnostics that use samples taken by doctors or nurses, study finds

https://mol.im/a/8156429

• More than 500 coronavirus patients from OptumCare, part of UnitedHealth Group were studied
    • Self-administered tests detected COVID-19 in more than 90% patients, which is the same rate that clinician-administered tests detected the virus
    • The self-swab test allows people to swab the front part of the nostril and mid-nose rather than deep inside the nasal cavity
    • Researchers say the self-swab tests are less invasive and preserve personal protective equipment such as gloves and face masks

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

How to sanitize your groceries and takeout..
    (He's incorrect about the cruise ship comment, because that virus found was inactive and not communicable.).

8. DJG87

DJG87 Well-Known Member

Im in the Navy and a good friend of mine is on a carrier right now. They have a few cases on there and he’s basically stuck. The command I’m at tells us to practice “social distancing” yet we still go to work. Granted only half the command works it’s still aggravating to go out in the world and expect to do these things.

9. K

K Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service.

It's a scary thing for sure. There are many people who are still working in situations where they are in close quarters.

So many people are whining about being bored (some were 2 days into the whole thing) yet so many are still working and/or going to school and many of us are working even more than usual because of all this. It's too bad people are bored and upset that their favorite things are closed, but it's really irritating that so many are out there not taking things seriously and putting other people at risk.

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Luckily I'm freelance and have always worked from home. I'm locked down as tight as I can be. I was cavalier about this whole thing until healthy people started dropping like flies. I now even personally know a guy my exact age who has it, full-blown. Luckily he's past the worst of it and is now slowly on the mend. No thanks, don't need COVID-19 in my life.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

What's your rate? I was an AT

12. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I was in Korea during the SARS issue. Things were slightly similar. They were pretty clear on not eating and buying things on the economy there. I was in the Army, I couldn’t imagine what the Navy is going through at the moment. This is probably the best time to be on a submarine (assuming everyone on board is not infected).

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

14. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Capture+_2020-03-27-18-10-22(1).jpg

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I scored today a 24 pack of double roll ass paper and 48 eggs.

God been good to me.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

I was so excited when I was able to get eggs, chicken, and TP this week! 3 females in the house - NEED TP!!

Things seem to be stocked right now, but it's also the last week of the month. I'm thinking with all the panic people are really broke and on the first it will be crazy again....and when the relief money hits. It will be interesting to see if people pay their rent or grab more supplies. Some are getting rent reductions, etc. too.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Wut? How many females in one house??
    [​IMG]

I wasn't expecting much. Was just going to get a rotisserie chicken and some veggies. Until I saw a man walk by with a pack of the toilet paper. I noticed it was a pallet that wasn't even stocked on the shelf yet. After I got mine, I walked back to the isle 5 min later and noticed that the pallet got raided that quick and was out......lol.

I was just going thru the store making toilet paper jokes as I shopped cracking people up. The eggs was moving slow tho surprisingly. They were still on the shelf when I left. Could be because people are broke now, I didn't even think of that. They better pay that rent, these people are wild.

18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm eating plenty of fresh raw organic kale, broccoli, spinach, arugula, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, apples, melons, chicken noodle soup, green tea, mixed nuts and oatmeal ect..... and taking 1,000 milligrams of vitamin C per day and getting in that cardio.

I eat healthy anyway but stepped it up for a possible bout with this virus. If I get it I'll win without a doubt, but there is no prize for the fight so I hope to avoid it.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Did he go into intensive care or did he fight it at home?

20. DJG87

DJG87 Well-Known Member

Cool. I’m a AO2.