Covid-19 Central

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Madeleine, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

True. but to say we should be more worried about the flu is asinine.

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I agree the deniers are probably going to make this thing worse.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

If you ever want to work again you better hope everyone takes this seriously. This thing is stopping all economic activity. The economy requires interaction. If I can't go to stores to get goods or services or we all have to avoid human contact so we don't contract a potentially deadly virus nothing can move its all on pause.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Bulshit TDK, there are countries who have not shut down their economies. They're dealing with it like they have any other virus.
    How can you think this reaction is commiserate to the amount of deaths?
    90% of the deaths from this are people over the age of 80 with underlying conditions. if they got the flu and pneumonia they probably wouldn't make it, either.
    How can you justify the destruction of our economy over this?

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

What exactly are they denying? Give the numbers, give the facts, give the science.

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

400 deaths out of 340 Million.
    Congrats morons.

[​IMG]

7. The Dark King

Straight up lie. You know we have the internet right?
    From the CDC unless you think they're owned by the democrats too.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

8. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Panic buyers are moronic but you're using a false equivalency here. There haven't been 340 million cases in the entire world let alone the U.S. The current ratio is 400 deaths out of 32,000 confirmed cases. If the number of infected was 340 million the ratio dictates that the death rate would be about 400,000 people.

But it won't be just the virus that kills people, it will also be the lack of supplies, adequate facilities and short staffing of medical personnel.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

For perspective

A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients

https://www.propublica.org/article/...psZtUwZVrGJF8yy8lh9FU_Hs9noEMQ5pZMm0c5vpgqiFE

“Reading about it in the news, I knew it was going to be bad, but we deal with the flu every year so I was thinking: Well, it’s probably not that much worse than the flu. But seeing patients with COVID-19 completely changed my perspective, and it’s a lot more frightening.”

"This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people."

“I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”

"They suddenly become unresponsive or go into respiratory failure."

10. The Dark King

No no it's 90 percent people over 80 with underlying issues so it doesn't matter. People won't fully get it till it straight up slaps them across the face unfortunately smh

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Let Darwin and Thanos sort it out. lol.

I don't see the point of going back and forth with people that turn EVERYTHING into politics.

Just to think they aren't even politicians. They work regular jobs and still live in a political bubble that they promote to no end.

Let that sink in for a minute.

12. The Dark King

It's just strange to want to ignore all reality
    Like we're seriously arguing 1 plus 1 is two.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yep

And Emergency workers out here saving lives just so 45 and the invisible spooky man can get credit.

Let scientists fine a vaccine and watch magical thinking get even more credit

LOL

Funny and sad at the same time

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Some people using witch hazel as the active ingredient in their DIY hand sanitizer.

lol

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The infection rate follows an exponential function, that's what makes this virus particularly dangerous to this society as a whole. The less social distancing the bigger the exponential function is over time.
    Example: People infected is the Y (dependent variable), Time is the independent variable X. The bigger the function the steeper the curve. Too many are ignoring this and just looking at the mortality rate.

[​IMG]

The average coronavirus patient infects at least 2 others, suggesting the virus is far more contagious than flu

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-contagious-r-naught-average-patient-spread-2020-3

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

$6 Trillion total..

https://mol.im/a/8149875

The legislation aims to flood the economy with capital by sending $1,200 one-time checks to many Americans, expand unemployment payments, create a $367 billion loan program for small businesses, and set up a $500 billion fund for industries, cities and states.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Florida man with coronavirus says drug touted by Trump saved his life
    By Tamar Lapin

March 22, 2020

A Florida man diagnosed with coronavirus claims he was saved from certain death by an anti-malaria drug touted as a possible treatment by President Trump.

Rio Giardinieri, 52, told Los Angeles’ Fox 11 that he struggled with horrendous back pain, headaches, cough and fatigue for five days after catching COVID-19, possibly at a conference in New York.

Doctors at the Memorial Regional Hospital in South Florida diagnosed him with the coronavirus and pneumonia and put him on oxygen in the ICU, he told the outlet.

After more than a week, doctors told him there was nothing more they could do and, on Friday evening, Giardinieri said goodbye to his wife and three children.

“I was at the point where I was barely able to speak and breathing was very challenging,” Giardinieri said. “I really thought my end was there.”

Then a friend sent him a recent article about hydroxychloroquine, a prescription drug that’s been used to treat malaria for decades and auto-immune diseases like lupus.

Overseas studies have found it to be promising as a treatment for COVID-19, though it hasn’t been approved by health officials.

Trump last week said he was instructing the FDA to fast-track testing of hydroxychloroquine and a related drug, chloroquine, as treatment for COVID-19.

Giardinieri said he contacted an infectious disease doctor about the drug.

“He gave me all the reasons why I would probably not want to try it because there are no trials, there’s no testing, it was not something that was approved,” said Giardinieri.

“And I said, ‘Look, I don’t know if I’m going to make it until the morning,’ because at that point I really thought I was coming to the end because I couldn’t breathe anymore,” Giardinieri continued.

“He agreed and authorized the use of it and 30 minutes later the nurse gave it to me.”

After about an hour after taking the pills, Giardinieri said, it felt like his heart was beating out of his chest and, about two hours later, he had another episode where he couldn’t breathe.

He says he was given Benadryl and some other drugs and that when he woke up around 4:45 a.m., it was “like nothing ever happened.”

He’s since had no fever or pain and can breathe again. Giardinieri said doctors believe the episodes he experienced were not a reaction to the medicine but his body fighting off the virus.

Giardinieri, the vice president of a company that manufactures cooking equipment for high-end restaurants in Los Angeles, said he had three doses of the medicine Saturday and is hoping to be discharged from the hospital in five days.

“To me, there was no doubt in mind that I wouldn’t make it until morning,” said Giardinieri. “So to me, the drug saved my life.”

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/florida-man-with-coronavirus-says-drug-touted-by-trump-saved-his-life/

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

NY will turn to experimental drugs for worst coronavirus cases: Cuomo
    By Bernadette Hogan and Bruce Golding

March 23, 2020

New York plans to start administering a pair of untested treatments to seriously ill coronavirus patients on a “compassionate care” basis, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday.

“On the drug therapy, Tuesday we’re going to start the hydroxychloroquine with these Zithromax, that’s the drug combination that the president has been talking about,” Cuomo said during a news conference in Albany.

Cuomo said the Food and Drug Administration had also given the state permission to experiment with a treatment that “takes the plasma from a person who has been infected with the virus, processes the plasma and injects the antibodies into a person who is sick.”

“And there have been tests that show when a person is injected with the antibodies, that then stimulates and promotes the immune system against that disease,” he said.

“It’s only a trial, it’s a trial for people who are in serious condition, but the New York State Department of Health has been working on this with some of New York’s best health care agencies and we think it shows promise and we’re going to be starting that this week.”

Cuomo added, “We all believe thousands and thousands of people have had the virus and self-resolved.”

“If you knew that, you would know who is now immune to the virus and who you could send back to work, etc., so we’re also working on that.”

President Trump tweeted Saturday that the combination of hydroxychloroquine — an anti-malaria drug sold under the brand name Plaquenil — and Zithromax, the brand name for the antibiotic azithromycin, could be “one of the biggest game-changers in the history of medicine.”

Results of a small French study published last week showed that five of six people with the coronavirus who were treated with the two-drug cocktail tested negative on Day Three, and all tested negative on Day Six.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infection Diseases, cautioned Saturday that the combination of drugs hadn’t been proven to work in clinical trials

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/ny-will-turn-to-experimental-drugs-for-worst-coronavirus-cases-cuomo/

Researchers Look To Old Drugs For A Possible Coronavirus Treatment – It Might Just Work
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/marybe...coronavirus--it-might-just-work/#6a247ce35c49

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

OMG... He is banning doctors of his infected constituents whom want the drug!! :oops:

He's deranged!

[​IMG]

Nevada governor bans malaria drugs for coronavirus patients
    Associated Press - Tuesday, March 24, 2020

LAS VEGAS — Nevada’s governor has signed an emergency order barring the use of anti-malaria drugs for someone who has the coronavirus.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak’s order Tuesday restricting chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine comes after President Donald Trump touted the medication as a treatment for the virus.

More..
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/nevada-governor-bans-malaria-drugs-for-coronavirus-patients/

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

U.S. companies, labs rush to produce blood test for coronavirus immunity
    Chad Terhune, Allison Martell, Julie Steenhuyse

(Reuters) - As the United States works overtime to screen thousands for the novel coronavirus, a new blood test offers the chance to find out who may have immunity - a potential game changer in the battle to contain infections and get the economy back on track.

Several academic laboratories and medical companies are rushing to produce these blood tests, which can quickly identify disease-fighting antibodies in people who already have been infected but may have had mild symptoms or none at all. This is different from the current, sometimes hard-to-come-by diagnostic tests that draw on a nasal swab to confirm active infection.

“Ultimately, this (antibody test) might help us figure out who can get the country back to normal,” Florian Krammer, a professor in vaccinology at Mount Sinai’s Icahn School of Medicine, told Reuters. “People who are immune could be the first people to go back to normal life and start everything up again.”

Krammer and his fellow researchers have developed one of the first antibody tests in the United States for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. Krammer said his lab is busy distributing key ingredients for the tests to other organizations and sharing the testing procedure. He is transferring the work to Mount Sinai’s clinical lab this week so it can begin testing patient samples.

More...
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-test-for-coronavirus-immunity-idUSKBN21C1KK

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020