Covid-19 Central

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Madeleine, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Plus, the media is completely hyping this up without being honest.
    You can come into contact with someone who has the virus and still not develop it. It all depends on your immune system.

Also, people's reactions to it are widely varying. There's a seven-year-old girl in the Bronx who has it and she has a runny nose and that's it, and she's staying home until the virus leaves her system.
    Others die from it. So what now?

Question: if they develop a vaccine within the next month, will you take it?

2. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

My doctors, both my family practitioner and my pulmonologist, have said it's not so bad for reasonably healthy people. If you don't have any underlying health issues, getting it will feel like nothing more than a cold or flu. But, it's a serious issue when you transmit it to people who do have underlying health issues. Think about how many people, who go about their day doing what they do, but have underlying conditions. Or, older parents and grand parents. How many boomers are there? We're talking about a huge, huge number of people.

People may feel fine for 2 weeks after exposure. Meanwhile they're going to work, they're visiting their parents, they're touching doors and other surfaces and unknowingly passing the virus. Now, the older lady at the office, who has diabetes, has it and takes it home to her husband who used to be a smoker. She also goes to visit her mom in the nursing home. That's what has the doctors worried. You're probably good. You're young and healthy. But how many people around you aren't? Again, that's the big problem.

On the plus side, if all of the old people and us sickly bastards die off, health insurance rates for the rest of you are bound to go down.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  3. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

First of all, the population of Germany is not 68 million, it’s more than 80 million. A few people have died now.
    Secondly, start here if you likehttps://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...kcYpJnv8XT340AxBHcGPVu-3C5Jj6Kuxtxt4nVhO2CmIQ

Reading this you’ll understand why deaths rise exponentially when numbers of infected rise exponentially. Because doctors have to make life or death decisions about who gets beds in ICU and who doesn’t.
    Thirdly, those links of face masks, what are they supposed to mean? They are the wrong type for protecting from
    Infectious diseases and what do those links really say about availability in Central Europe?
    I’m not saying we should all live in fear for the next 2 years but I think it’s advisable for countries to take this very seriously and put measures in place to push back so it doesn’t spiral out of control like in Italy, Iran and other places.

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

6. Madeleine

7. Madeleine

Italy is a warzone.
    Haven’t heard of that policy but it’s just awful if one has to make such choices. That’s why they have to flatten that curve so we don’t get there in the first place. It’s what happens when this virus circles around undetected for weeks.
    Switzerland has closed some borders to Italy but Ticino has more than 70.000 workers from Italy, especially in the health sector so it’s a dilemma now. They need the hospital staff but don’t want the disease.

8. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Strange. It may only open if you have a Facebook account. Anyway it shows a bunch of police in China not letting people get off a train because they supposedly have the virus. They were chasing people that got off, tying them up beating them and threatening anyone else that tried to get off. It seemed like a panic mode. It's like they were expecting them to have Ebola or something. All of that frantic behavior after the problem is here. No common sense used to prevent it of course.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Schools are closing and going to remote classes. No idea how that's supposed to work for engineering. I actually have to get things that I build tested and graded. Would you use a product that was tested remotely? This is some bullshit. I hate online lectures and tests. Programming classes are the only ones that don't suck online.

All because these morons smh

11. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  12. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

My sister had to ban a client from coming into her office after the woman got caught stealing hand sanitizer from the storage room.

13. Madeleine

You wouldn’t believe how they’ve been stealing disinfectant over here. They stole a whole truckload of masks from Charité hospital in Berlin as well. Germany isn’t allowing masks and disinfectant to leave the country any more. The other day a truck full of face masks was stopped at the German-Swiss border. Switzerland usually imports masks from China via Germany so now they are in a diplomatic war over face masks. Hospitals and other places have stopped filling up disinfectant bottles because “visitors” (aka thieves) keep coming in and steal them. Strange times we live in.

14. Madeleine

Lol
    Europeans are banned from many countries now anyway.

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I wonder if this will be a come to Jesus moment for the world and how we do things. It's horrible that it's happening but its messing with the health of the general public making sure no one can ignore shit anymore and if you do you die unfortunately. It's also fucking with the only thing rich people care about and that's their wealth. No one to consume no way to make money.
    At the very least bring back more manufacturing to the US so we don't disrupt supply chains. And make the CDC as half as well funded as the military.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Please this has been happening. Nothing new here. People never learn.

Do you know that they eat bats? Enough said.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm sure the liquor store isn't out of cheap vodka. It should be a felony to steal from a hospital. No excuse for that whatsoever.

18. The Dark King

I hate to say it like this but now it's effecting white people in America and effecting the global markets. It's one thing when it's localized to some African country no one thinks about but when people start dying in places like Scarsdale and Manhattan the powers that be can't ignore it. And again it's happening to rich white people not back water hillbillies

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Rich people can afford to isolate. As for the markets.........buy buy buy. They don't need to spend that invested money anyway, time to buy more stocks. Sure they are losing money on stuff like the NBA but that's only temporary. I think most of them would rather weather this little storm rather than change the whole world because of it.

Rich people aren't dying from this at all. They have private doctors and nurses. This virus isn't much of a threat for the rich. They can get tested when they want and throw private parties for all of their tested friends.

20. The Dark King

Yes and no. The dude who got it in my area was a wealthy lawyer with his own firm.
    Dude is in intensive care.
    And like I said before there's nothing to invest in if people don't consume. If your customers can't leave the house or they're dying it won't matter.