The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Remember all those black women in the 80s, 90s and 00s who were into Doctor Who?

Good times

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

You are referring to that OTHER adaptation of The War of the Worlds, which aired on the BBC in 2019. It strayed far afield from the original source material, in my estimation.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8001226/

3. RicardoCooper

I stand corrected, sir.

4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

It would be on par with the comics which is something people have complained about marvel not doing despite marvel producers already explaining the MCU and Marvel Comics are two different universes. I think this is an overreaction and possibly rumors especially since he is in BP 2 and upcoming New Avenger projects. I think since it happened temporarily in the comics they will keep it like that in possibly the 3rd film.

The thing that is being pushed that real fans are understandably upset with are how they are throwing away Carol and Rhody for a Carol and Valkyrie JUST to satisfy the LGBT people. That is the ONLY reason they are trying to do that. They can easily add ANY other kind of LGBT relationship to marvel but they chose to dump the IR relationship with a black man for no other reason than a political one.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Exactly. Showed no support but want a place at the table

6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

It's ok, The visuals are pretty good and the ideas are intriguing. The first episode is heavy on the exposition, they try to set up a lot of backstory, I guess for fans not familiar with the lore of the old shows. I did like the deep callbacks to TNG stories, for instance, they reference a character that was only shown one time during the 2nd season. I'm not a huge fan of how similar Earth of 2399 is to Earth of 2020, apparently, Star Trek has 24hour news networks now, which are accompanied by gotcha journalists who wear business dresses from the 1980s and have fake nails. Also, scientists still walk around in white lab coats with id badges on lanyards dangling from their necks. Also.............
    The show has a connection to the JJ Abrams reboot movies, byway of the destruction of the Romulan homeworld which Spock failed to prevent, which was the catalyst for the villain in the movie to travel back in time to kill Spock. One other thing the show did that I didn't like was the odd xenophobia of the federation, which was the antitheses of the nature of Star Trek, the federation turning their backs on the Romulans is very out of character.

I think the show could have potential episode-2 airs tomorrow and according to the preview, it's the episode that kicks the action into high gear.

Oh....and if you look for it you can find social commentary that echos some political issues going on today.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Bruh ... everything you said was gospel. I thought I was the only one who felt that way. That's just not how The Federation operates. They're trying to make Trek more about action and intrigue. That's the wrong approach.

BTW, I heard a rumor that Seth McFarland is trying to get NBC to buy the Star Trek TV rights from CBS and put him in charge. After seeing what he did with The Orville, I think it would be a good move.

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I think the ship sailed on that before Captain Marvel was even cast. I don't think Rhodey was initially ever intended to be more than an Iron Man supporting character. So they just got a solid actor (Terrence Howard then Don Cheadle) and never considered giving him a love interest.

By the time they were deciding to do Captain Marvel, they already had an actor in his late 40s playing War Machine. Once they decided they wanted CM in her 20s, there wasn't a chance they'd put these two together onscreen.

They're not even pairing white guys with way younger woman as often these days (though yeah, it still happens). If they'd planned it from the beginning, maybe they would have cast actors closer in age and written their arcs closer together.

Also it would've been a feat to write Carol into Jim's story (to the extent he even had his own story). These two were never a big well-known pair. And with all the other moving parts in developing the MCU, it was just never a priority.

At least that's my best guess lol

9. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Thats objectively false sir. With in the same franchise they paired Banner and Black Widow together and there's a 17 year gap there. And that relationship wasn't even cannon I always thought it made far more sense to put her with Cap or Hawkeye

10. SilverSmith

The first episode of Star Trek: Picard is streaming free for a limited time on YouTube and Pluto TV.

11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Solid point. Like I said, that's my best guess. I never said my best guess was accurate lol

12. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Now that I think of it, do you think the utter failure of that Hulk/Widow match could've added to the decision to go away from War Machine/Marvel match? Just guessing again lol!

13. RicardoCooper

IMO the Hulk/Widow match was just an excuse to be able to turn Hulk's powers on and off ("lullaby" routine) to service the plot of Age of Ultron (ignoring that Banner could switch at will at the end of Avengers "I'm always angry"). One of the problems with Hulk overall is they can never figure out if he's an uncontrollable living engine of destruction or a team player who can take orders. They tried to split the difference in Endgame (Smart Hulk) which I thought was wack. They also had to de-power Hulk and Thor so Marvel could be the "strongest hero in the MCU" :eyeroll:

The way they introduced Capt Marvel having her emerge in the 90s then disappear into space for 20 years, when would she have had time to have a romance with Rhodey? Plus it was heavily intimated that Carol was already in a relationship with her "best friend" wink wink.

14. RicardoCooper

They were hinting at that in "Winter Soldier" but the Russo Brothers defined her as a "work wife"

15. SilverSmith

Synopsis:

Revenant was once the greatest hitman the Syndicate ever had. But when his programming failed, he saw what Hammond Robotics had turned him into. Hammond Robotics' return to the Outlands has renewed his thirst for vengeance, and he won’t stop until they’re all dead.

Apex Legends is a free-to-play battle royale game developed by Respawn. Available on Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

16. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Do we really call those relationships though? lol. Same goes with her relationship with Cap. They did more with Wanda and Vision than they did with anyone else.

17. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I knew it as soon as he looked up into the night sky like he saw something. Beautiful y'all. I hear he might recur on the upcoming Superman show. Should be interesting!

19. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Bruh ... the CW and David Ramsey himself spoiled it days before the final episode aired.

What did you think of the finale? I gave it a seven. I wasn't expecting greatness, anyway.

20. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Lol, didn’t watch it. Just used news articles. I fell off the show last season. And I only watched crisis this year.