BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@qaz1 I can't believe you posted that list. I saw that list a few years ago & it was complete garbage. You can tell the person who wrote that list is 1 of these online BM-hating feminists. There is NO SUCH THING as "Black Male Privilege". Whatever privilege BM have is just regular-ass "Male privilege". What privilege do BM have that is unique to the black community?

What podcast was that?

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

One of my many start and stop projects lol.
    I'll post it on here for you guys when I get a chance.

The article was written by a guy.
    Actually I'll even say we don't even have male privilege in this country. At times we may have size privilege but that's it.
    Privilege means access the benefit of the doubt an larger system willing to protect you we have none of that.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The "Black Male Privilege" myth is derived from stereotypes. Something that people especially in this country do a lot. They see a black man and there that is able to do this or get away with that and think that is something that happens to most black men. For an example they like to use OJ and R. Kelly as examples of this myth. But no evidence backs up that there have been NUMEROUS of times black men have gotten away with CRIMES especially against white people that is on par with our counterparts.

In fact with the mass incarcerations it proves the saying that black men have no laws and rules that anybody is bound to respect.

4. darkcurry

The picture I put up was from a website with a longer synopsis but all three of them are on this particular case together.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. darkcurry

This is going to be a great thursday night. Will go down as one of the best comedies on TV. I'm glad it was well written to have one of the best comedies on TV ALSO be an IR Love story.

6. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I have seen that feminist generated checklist. It’s full of shit. But here is the reality for black people and privilege. Black people do not and cannot of Institutionalized privilege. What we have is “conditional privilege”. You have to speak a certain way, go to the right schools, dress a certain way, conduct yourself a certain way, etc. There are articles elaborating the privileges of black women (written by black women) that elaborate their ability to get belligerent with the police without getting gunned down, or their custody of children etc. But, the reality is that if you don’t toe the line, ant perceived privileges can be taken away. Thus, the difference between institutionalized privilege and conditional.

Checklists like that are made by tumblr feminists and weirdos on certain forums that we will not name. They are generated by angry 20somethings that lack critical thinking and the intersectionality that they claim to have.

Also, 90% of that checklist doesn’t apply to anything beyond 2010. It provides zero sources to the claims made in that list beyond the NAACP directors, and those organizations haven’t been relevant to the black community for years.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/10.2979/spectrum.6.2.02.pdf?seq=1

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. The Dark King

Well said

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Like I said, I didn't even read that list before I posted it. I just like to have solid backup for any of my positions, and I got lazy after a long day. That's on me.

Thanks to you all for explaining your positions calmly and logically. I think we mostly agree. Black men are certainly disadvantaged in society. And one of the worst things about privilege is how it cajoles the oppressed into believing its lies. I think this is the root of the problems y'all see with some black women (correct me if I'm wrong).

But I also do believe being a male comes with certain privilege, even if you're not a *white* male. By that I mean there are certain problem that we generally get to avoid (when's the last time you worried about your makeup looking well done? or even the slightest possibility of being raped?).

Perhaps that privilege doesn't really overlap with the concerns most discussed here though. I won't pretend I have all the answers or am always the most eloquent. At all. Lol

9. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Okay got it. Feel free to post a link to that if it's convenient. I'll probably wait for your recap before I consider watching this week's episode though lol

10. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

From the very jump of the series . . . Nancy was doing a lot more than "maybe pursuing Nick" lol. I still don't feel anything foreshadowing a romance for Nick and George after watching that last episode but I will stay hopeful as George is gorgeous and good to go with her trademark pigtails and colored skirts :)

In every phase and decade of my life thru today . . . George would get it!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Young Herschel

Co-sign. The show is actually VERY GOOD and has demonstrated that its not afraid to break TV barriers by putting a black man in an illicit position with the female lead during the series premiere . . . in the second scene and more to the point it was not just a one and done but has the makings of a long-term on again, off again lust/love affair.

12. Young Herschel

George is super cute and its such a rare dynamic for YA television I just don't see how anyone can dismiss the potential of Nick and George. Nancy is nice and I appreciate the value of a Blue-eyed Redhead (just had my first one this Friday from San Fran, CA) but the sex appeal of George is undeniable to me when I picture all the fun things and episodes she and Nick could share!!

13. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I haven't caught every episode, so you've seen more than I've seen. But I haven't seen Nancy pursue Nick since the breakup. But I've definitely seen George giving him looks. Time will tell.

14. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

You just described Dynasty lol

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  15. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Lol you came correct with the photos!

When I called George a consolation, I didn't mean she was less attractive. I meant she isn't the lead. I think that means something. That's why I mentioned Finn and Rey. But you know me, always about the messaging lol.

And since when is there a Nat Turner on the show??? They're giving CW characters old slave names now lol? At least they picked a rebel lol

16. meowkittenmeow

Makeup? Nope, haven’t had to worry about that. Black men do, however, have to dress a certain way, look a certain way, be a certain height, so as not to make women scared or call the police on us, so there is that. Worried about rape? July 2008 while on leave from Iraq when I was raped by a black woman was the first time I generally worried about rape (The worst part was having to go back and finish the tour as a leader and act like nothing happened). PTSD, and knowing how predatory women can be makes me worry about it fairly often. The black men that are survivors, like me, have similar concerns. But, go off, I guess.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Maybe it would've helped if I'd made it clear that I think most groups have some sort of privilege (even if it's scant and trivial). The reason males and whites have theirs brought up most often is because they're the most prevalent, powerful, and dangerous.

And perhaps I didn't use the best examples of male privilege. But I stand by my position. Also for the record, what that person did to you was deplorable. But I clearly don't need me to tell you that.

18. meowkittenmeow

You asked a question, I answered it. I understand your position and respectfully disagree, as there are far to many examples, studies, and statistics that refute your stance. No worries, and enjoy your evening.

19. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Just so I'm clear, your position is that black men have no privilege of any kind at (and I'm not referring specifically to any b"lack male privilege")?

If so, you're right. We disagree.

20. The Dark King

Well from what I've been told make up is a personal thing its about doing it so they feel good and would exist without men. Ok so rape is an area where we as men don't have to think about it as much but I wonder if we take into account the amount of black boys and men who deal with it because they're targets for incarceration far more than other people?