BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I'm glad you guys watch some of those shows. I like the shows where the brother get the lovin for a longer period.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Just watched part 5 of the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" arrowverse crossover. The original daughter that Diggle & Lyla had in the pre-crisis/pre-flashpoint timeline now also exists in the new current post-crisis timeline introduced in the episode.

So now in this new current post-crisis timeline Diggle & Lyla have 2 biological kids, the original daughter & J.J.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I caught that too.

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

But he also said I won't let my KID watch that when they were talking about Bebo

5. The Dark King

And we can the Netflix show Daybreak to the list of gay male sidekick and no straight black men in sight Netflix shows.
    Was really enjoying it until we find out the pacifist black guy (won't even let a black man have a sense of self preservation during the apocalypse) reveals he's gay. Seriously according to Netflix straight black men simply don't exist and even black women are more masculine than the males. Is it literally impossible for this company to see us any other way?

6. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

They use a lot of the same writers for each show. Many are white women and black women who belong to a “certain group”. So, you are going to get more of the, “black men are either gay or only belong to black women” narrative.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  7. The Dark King

But its not even a lot its nearly all. Not even as side characters or background simply no straight black men allowed. Along with other men of color. It's literally show after show of white guys with every kind of woman possible.
    Well hopefully we get the memo loyalty to those types does not serve us in the slightest

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

It could very well get picked up somewhere else as the report also says
    But also I heard of this news that facebook was steering away from scripted series. Because this is one of their most popular shows. Would LOVE to see this on Hulu or Amazon Prime. A streaming service so that people could binge the last two seasons. I want to say netflix as well but they have a habit of cancelling shows.

I hope they are not shopping it around to network TV.

But if there is no season 3 to be had I was pleased with these last two seasons. Screw these award shows for not giving this show the love and recognition it deserved. I bet if it was the OTHER kind of IR friendly show they will award them. But quite honestly it just shows how unimportant these award shows more so these MAINSTREAM award shows like the Golden Globes, Emmys, Oscars, etc. are becoming.

10. meowkittenmeow

Things won’t change unless we make them change. As long as we kowtow to oppressive forces, we won’t get the representation we need. It is what it is.

• List
  11. The Dark King

Unfortunately it will remain this way because culturally straight black men are completely pigeon held. If we aren't dealing with coercive apparatus of the state or being demonized by our own women relentlessly we hold each other back from being the slightest bit expressive.
    Well I say just support the things we like in silence no point in complaining to the outside world no one will listen.

12. meowkittenmeow

Well, through representation, hip hop, and more women pushing towards interracial dating with black men, things will slowly change.

13. The Dark King

Not gonna happen in the US.
    It's a clear pattern. Outside of the Good Place which is ending. We thought the tide was turning on The CW with legacies yet the last few episodes have had two of the main black characters mia most of this season and the black male teacher who was with the gorgeous Indian teacher (even though she had more romantic screen time with the white guy) is now seemingly single out of nowhere. All the superhero shows remain the same even Black Lightning which is now about his daughters and not him. American TV and for us.

14. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

So how can we positively impact the industry? Complaining on internet message boards clearly ain't the move.

15. meowkittenmeow

Not only have I not watched the show, but remembering how they were with black characters on smallville and so on, I knew what they were about. The only people they are willing to entertain are white women, if white women, who date or marrying black men are in those fields, they can slowly change it.

In addition to that, as things become more and more globalized, UK and Canadian shows (and a few french), may allow for more bm/non-bw on-screen relationships.

• List
  16. meowkittenmeow

I agree, and considering how so many black men kowtow to bw, it seems unlikely much change will happen. It would take a few things, but if I went into detail, someone would complain and my comments would get removed because the thread police don’t want us to talk about it.

17. The Dark King

They've been doing that which is why prefer their programming to American TV.
    You forget how racist things are in American entertainment until you read and watch things from other areas.

18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

How about starting a new thread or messaging privately? I'm curious to hear what you've got.

19. meowkittenmeow

I’ll consider it after the weekend. And private messaging is turned off. There should really be two threads

Thread 1 “The white male patriarchy”
    That can be filled with anything that has to do with that

Thread 2 “The black female matriarchy”
    That can be filled with anything that has to do with that.

20. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

in the context of The Good Place, NBC is marketing the Eleanor/Chidi relationship as much as everything else the show is about. TGP also has a very large global following - its linear ratings are modest, probably performing equivalent to SuperStore, but its digital ratings are a standout. That matters. Viewing habits are changing and so are the structures by which these shows are produced. There's definitely a growing subset of the white women, the demographic most of these shows are marketed to, that are interested in BM as romantic leads. The difficulty is WM are the gatekeepers.