The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Are you going to see that New Mutants film?

2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Lazy thinking

3. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Disney's right behind them. The girl power line-up towards the end of Avengers Endgame was just the beginning

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Most definitely.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

And this isn't a lazy response? The irony, lol

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Well The Flash can also go back and forth through time

7. The Dark King

@meowkittenmeow
    There you go buddy

8. The Dark King

I'm not totally sold on that yet but we'll see. They were smart enough not to let Captain Marvel take down Thanos.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

By going fast. So Superman can do it too. LOL

Even if he couldn't I would still choose Superman's powers. With those powers I have no reason to go through time. Everyday would be unreal.

10. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

They moved the date up and put it on TNT instead of TBS I see. Good move! Because that means they seen potential in it or it did well with test audiences.

11. The Dark King

It's not about speed its about access to the speed force.
    I think The Boys gave a more realistic depiction of what superman would really be like. How can you connect to humanity and not lose your mind when every thought and movement is an exercise in control

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I don't want to connect to humanity. LOL. Do you ever listen to George Carlin? Our thought process is similar. I want an Island to myself with ZERO neighbors. My private plane would fly my friends in and out, fuck everyone else.

I'll give you the time travel. The only reason I would want it is to meet a few people from the past but other than that it would hold no interest for me if I had Superman's powers.

Seeing granny again comes to mind but I would still either have to let go or stay in the past with her so I rather just leave it alone.

(Speed Force? Let it slide Beasty. LOL)

13. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

IGN's review of "Crisis on Infinite Earths" Arrowverse crossover:

https://www.ign.com/articles/crisis-on-infinite-earths-review-a-final-look-at-all-five-episodes

14. The Dark King

Come on man we're talking superhero shit logic doesn't apply lol

15. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

At first I thought I'd missed something, but it wasn't long before I figured it out. Agreed; I was happy with the way it came together.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That would have really messed it up for me. The Marvel crew aren't a bunch of dummies.

17. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

I'm hyped for the series. Incidentally, the network programming chief recently said that TBS will stay sitcom-focused while TNT will be action-centered, with live sports and big-budget thrillers.

18. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Well some of those recommendations do show his actual power, which is why I recommended them lol. But I get what you mean. It can be tough to do a good Superman story when his abilities are properly respected. I think the key is to focus on what no amount of physical power can accomplish (making him inspirational), as opposed to turning him into a brooding, "edgy" mess of a Batman analogue (*cough* Zack Snyder *cough*).

19. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

That's kind of the point about Superman that people keep missing. His greatest superpower *is* his control. He is clearly FAR superior to Homelander in this regard. Batman has even remarked to this effect.

The Boys (I read the comic but may never watch the show) essentially makes a straw man argument about Superman: look at what this inferior version of the original does with such great power! The original would be like this too!

The point of Superman is that his humanity, morality, and strength of character are among his greatest abilities. That's what makes Red Son and Injustice so interesting.

20. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this. I disgree with the boys version straw man argument.

Homelander is a white American make raised in white America. He maintains the “so-called” values of white conservative males in power. Which is why so many alt-right white guy weirdos are doing so much damage (which I don’t need to go into). The boys poses the question of “what if Superman didn’t have a Kryptonian legacy?”

As much as we like to think John and Martha Kent are the sole reason why he doesn’t go apeshit, it’s his kryptonian side that keeps things at bay. His biological father sent him there for a reason and instilled the best of kryptonian values in him. His restraint is one of his greatest powers, and I agree with you.

Superman works because he reflects the best of a better alien society and has learned from the destruction of his own planet. Ours isn’t destroyed yet, so many have much to learn.

Homelander works because he reflects the shady white conservative male in a corrupt society and destroys without learning anything because his privileges allow him to turn a blind eye.

They both make sense for different reasons, but comparing the two is apples and oranges. I agree with you there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List