BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. LMFAOOOOO YO I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING! That show has never really been brought up on here before and even if it *IS* IR friendly, it’s probably only “friendly” to them black women and white men couples lmfao.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Only black male on death row because he was being framed for murder because his white girlfriend was an addict and her husband pinned the death on the black boyfriend. He felt so guilty about her death he allowed himself to be framed for murder. Fuck that show so glad it got cancelled. I implore you all to move on from American network television it's simply not black male friendly at all

3. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

I'm just saying "The Passage" was a highly anticipated show this year . . . if not the most anticipated series premiere of 2019 . . . and it showed great potential throughout its rookie year though of course there were some ups and downs the last 3 episodes were SPECTABULOUS!!!

I'm glad the show finally got released and its show runners employed a diverse cast where interracial relationships would surely be empowered in subsequent seasons . . . it doesn't have to be BM/WF 24/7 for me to appreciate the IR potential of a new show because anyone could see there would be more IR in the future seasons. I'm hoping HULU will pick it up as original programming and carry it through two more seasons as there are two more books and things were just beginning to really take off

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Young Herschel

It was a very fun sci-fi show nevertheless and it was a wonderful way to start the work week this winter wasn't it?? I'm just saying there were some spectacular episodes in S1 and far less successful shows have earned sophomore seasons have they not? Maybe S2 of "The Passage" would have blew up like S2 of "The 100"?? Who knows unless HULU steps in and saves it . . . I hope there is a fan campaign :)

Guys & Gals, it is a fun show to binge watch OnDemand or Kodi if you've never taken the time. I'm shocked by how well its ratings were it got cancelled.

5. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Fuck this.

Here's the thing. The Passage novel was the rare high profile epic novel that needed no "diversity" push when casting for a movie or series. The book was full of interesting, important, major characters who were not white. And the stupid TV show screwed all of that up.

Let me start off that the book, in the story part that takes place 100 years in the future, had numerous Asian characters who were key to the plot. But it's greatest diversity was its black characters. In the present day you had the black nun who becomes a sort of mother figure for Amy. She's a key character who shows up in the following novels. And you had the black guy on death row who has such a great arc throughout the series and plays such a important part in the final conflict.

Even better though are the black characters in the future, in particular Peter and his brother. Both are well-realized individuals who have an interesting and loving relationship. They both also have strong love lives and connections with women who aren't black. Peter is arguably the lead protagonist of the story once we make the jump to the future. Peter is part of the Jaxton family, one of the leading clans of the society in this dystopian future. He and his bro are trying to live up to their father's name, a black male and semi-legendary figure who disappeared on a expedition years ago. Peter shares his best moments with Amy and particular the fiery redhead Alicia Donadio, my favorite character of the story and arguably the best warrior of this future colony of survivors. They have such a fantastic bond and you can tell beneath the surface Peter and Alicia have feelings for one another. But there is another great leading character, a woman named Sara, who is in complete love with Peter but he doesn't return those feelings, mostly be seems oblivious to her affection for him.

Peter and his brother Theo have an old aunt that lives in the colony. And the author bridges the present storyline with the future one by devoting a large section to her and her parents in Philadelphia years after the Amy and Wolgast storyline has wrapped up, when society is making its final last stand against these vampires. The aunt is a little girl around this time and she has a tragic story in which she and other children are put on a special train just before Philly falls. One of the children travelling with her is a male cousin of hers. None of this appeared to interest the showrunners. So let me stop and point out that this book is giving us the nun Sister Lacey, Lucious Greer, the black inmate/death row guy who becomes one of the original Twelve, Peter Jaxton, Theo Jaxton, their aunt, the parents of that aunt when she was a kid and her slightly older male cousin. So why in the world did we need the TV showrunners to make Amy black as well? The book was inclusive enough already. That casting screwed with the image the book readers had of Amy, the pale girl whose image alone was promoted in advertisements for the first novel. I can't stand racebend casting, particularly because it mostly means changing white female characters into black females (as if black women are the only people of color in need of a diversity casting push).

Anyway the future story of the colony is easily the strongest part of the book because the world building is so tremendous. And the characters of this future world, shaped by the society they were born into, are far more interesting than Wolgast and Amy. When Amy shows up she helps them survive because of her super powers and knowledge but she takes a backseat most times to the other characters. Wolgast is not around. The show though wanted to bring Wolgast into the future story and keep him a the center of the action. Thank God it got cancelled before they went there.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Whew, we dodged a bullet lmfao.

7. Young Herschel

^^How do we know what twists and turns Fox was planning to take in S2?!?!?

I'm trying to say the show had a strong fanbase compared to other shows which premiered this decade and deserved a sophomore season. The foundation for mor IR in subsequent seasons is validated by the source material in the books so why the negativity?? Season 2 could be its breakthrough season right if HULU steps in an saves "The Passage" . . . why throw away all the production costs and reshoots they did over the last several years . . . by making more of the main characters black Fox was hedging its bets that the underserved black audience would catch on to the show like wildfire as they did with "Empire" I suppose.

No shame in trying to position yourself for success by going rogue . . . it was a bold casting move when you consider how much capital Fox poured into this show.

Do you think it has less IR potential for S2 because they hired several black characters for S1? I'm trying to understand why anyone (who hadn't read the books) would dislike the momentum this show had towards the end?

8. The Dark King

Well how they portray black males should matter to you. The character is worst than any kind of stereotype since he allows himself to go down without any kind of fight. He allows his family and loved ones to look at him as a murderer knowing he didn't do anything. He never owns his own power for himself, he's only there as a back drop character to be used by others. If we had multiple characters to pull from one person being like this wouldn't matter but thats never the case. This highlights another reason why I have given up on American broadcasting to tell any decent stories. They have a formula and will watch the whole thing burn before changing any of it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. JamalSpunky

I want to apologize for all the typos. I was rushing my post just before my lunch break was ending and the damn kindle fire I use is the WORST when it comes to writing/typing.

I want to quickly add that fans of the first book wanted the show to go to something like HBO; this was before streaming was really a thing. Once Netflix and Amazon Prime came around I thought those would be nice homes for it. But when I learned it was going to Fox TV I had to laugh. The show was not meant to be a broadcast network show. It was an epic story, especially the future storyline. Those type of narratives are not done well on network television because the budget isn't there and the best talents no longer reside there.

I hated the casting of Wolgast because is the book he is a graying, hair-receding middle-aged man who has never recovered from the death of his child and the ending of his marriage. The guy they got to play the part does not fit that type of look and doesn't bring the gravitas. He looks more like the young partner of the book version of Wolgast instead.

Even worse was the casting done for Peter Jaxton (this was before they got rid of the future storyline angle for the first season). They picked a guy who could play Mike (Luke Cage) Colter's brother. He was wrong for Peter. The Jaxton family was one of the few black families in the future colony and as a result there had been a lot of intermarriage with that clan. Peter and Theo's mom was white. Based on the description of the character in the book, Peter should have been played by someone who looks like Jesse Williams of grey's Anatomy. The fact that the network couldn't get the casting right in terms of physical appearance, that they just saw Peter as being black and didn't take into consideration the type of complexion he should have based upon his family history, told me all I needed to know. Details like this didn't matter to them. But like I said all of the actors hired for the future part of the story were let go early on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. JamalSpunky

Apparently FOX was willing to sacrifice a bunch of these key black characters when casting a black Amy. That was the tradeoff IMO. Unforgivable that they drop the story of Peter's Aunt.

11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I see this a lot. It just looks lazy, at least to those of us with an understanding of (or any care for) how this should go.

2 other examples:
    -trading Terrance Howard for Don Cheadle as James Rhodes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
    -the younger version versus the main version of Tyrone on Cloak and Dagger

12. JamalSpunky

Yes, you just happened to list the two examples I hate the most. Get rid of young Tyrone. The talented black female director who chose him or went along with that casting for the series premiere should have known better.

13. glassesjacket24

glassesjacket24 New Member

New show on ABC called stumptown
    Looks like cobie smulders and Michael ealy hook up on the show

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. The Dark King

Also young Randal vs adult Randal on This Is Us

15. The Dark King

She's Canadian I'm not surprised

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good... BUT this looks like the kind of show a national television network will ruin as we have spoke of. Hopefully not.

17. darkcurry

I have no problem with Young Tyrone in the Cloak And Dagger series because they did say up front that this was a teen show AND the writing has been awesome. Just seen the latest episode and it was one of their best yet.

18. darkcurry

I think race-bending goes with the whole alternative universe for TV and Movies filmmakers like to use when adapting material from books. Fury was supposed to be white, but he works well as black in the MCU.

Now obviously it's not always a good idea like with what I'm hearing about The Passage when it comes to books that already have diversity, but again remember a lot of this race-bending is hollywood being political and afraid of all the SJWs coming their way and appeasing to these groups rather than doing it from an artistic view of an alternative universe.

19. darkcurry

Also Speaking Of Michael Ealy I remember him being in the vastly underrated and ahead of it's time for BM/WW IR relationships Sleeper Cell where he had a steamy relationship with with Melissa Sagemiller's character.
    [​IMG]

20. JamalSpunky

The Marvel comics had a black Nick Fury already, one from a different universe. They modeled his look on Sam Jackson. Then years later Marvel Studios would cast Jackson as Fury for the movies. Real meta.