The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

For more than 50 years, the DeadShot character had been White until the first Suicide Squad movie was released. He's Black all of a sudden. Some call that practice Blackwashing. The questions is: Are Marvel and DC having difficulty creating new, interesting characters of color?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

As the Russo brothers have said themselves the movie and TV version of these comics are different. You don't want to make it exactly like the comics that wouldn't be very interesting. I like to see it as an alternate universe. Obviously they couldn't do that to black comic book characters because of you know, racism and their history of whitewashing REAL LIFE people in movies. Which isn't our fault that is the culture and system of this world and country.

3. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

The Comic book industry and Hollywood should stop vacillating and introduce original characters that reflect modern society, to wit we do need more diversity. But I'm not looking for a Black Bond, Black DeadShot, Black Jimmy Olson, Black General Zod, etc. LOL

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Damn. You wrote it off already? You guys are all the way burned out on this stuff. Must be cold af outside. I'm just trying not to fall too much more behind.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What Liam Neeson thing?

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I agree with @SilverSmith. I HATE when Marvel & DC race-bend (& gender-bend) characters in TV & film adaptions. I'd much rather they just use actual black characters from the comics & give them a more prominent role in TV & film adaptions.

7. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I knew Deadshot was white in the comics. I thought you meant race-switching between the two black actors

Bronze Tiger was in the Suicide Squad comics and he's black. Yet they left a legit black character out of the movie. Maybe because he was in the Arrow TV show?

8. RicardoCooper

Well Watchmen the comic was not designed to have any sequels. And the lead writer/producer is from LOST, one of the most confusing series ever LOL. So I don't hold out much hope. I did love the Zack Snyder Watchmen movie however

9. RicardoCooper

Google Viola Davis hunky white men

If I say anymore I'll be restricted

:D

10. The Dark King

Holy shit. I wonder how her black husband feels about this because if he said that black men should do more scenes with sexy white women the internet would have to shut down for a day

11. RicardoCooper

Yup that's the shit that tumbles out of their mouth unchecked. Blatant disrespect for her black husband

Viola did that interview to promote Widows. Brie Larson said some offensive stuff to promote Captain Marvel. Is this a new way of promoting movies?

12. ColiBreh1

TDK is this your 1st time hear about it? Everybody was talking about like back in November.

13. The Dark King

I must have missed it or forgot but damn that's crazy. I guess they figure more people will support than be against it. Very disappointing but at least the truth is clear

14. ColiBreh1

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

TDK knew he was part of the discussion. His memory is like hot dust, broken down particles that are being broken down.

16. ColiBreh1

We never discussed it on this forum though.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure we did. Lol

18. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Check the Liam Neeson thread. We discussed it there. Back when he was trying to beat black men to death with a crow bar.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. ColiBreh1

OK, that makes sense. I only drive-by posted in that thread.

20. The Dark King

Lol probably. I've been pulling 18 hour shifts for the last two months. These knew tax guidelines are no joke. They're taxing on every crypto transaction and when you deal with volumes in the millions....
    This place is my only respite since I don't really like other social media platforms lol