The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Marvel Studios has debuted a new TV spot for Captain Marvel they are calling “Born Free.”

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

To each his own like I said when in any comic movie of show did they do a villain like that? Especially when they were already down and in front of a loved one pleading for help.
    Every villain (who is white) is ALWAYS redeemable. Slade Wilson killed Oliver's mother right in front of him a few seasons later all is forgiven and he's helping him find his son. Evil Barry kills HR and they try to hell him because he's supposedly good deep down. Zod kills a shit load of people in Superman and is only killed because he's seconds away from killing a family. Its hard not to notice these choices as suspect

3. SilverSmith

We see things differently. I didn't read much into it and I'm someone who's hypersensitive to the state of racial representation in Hollywood. The character lived by a code and died in a manner befitting a pirate, no quarter given.

4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

But that goes with what I'm saying, man. What has DCEU done with black characters to show you other wise for you to be surprised?

Representation doesn't mean anything if it's inadequate or/and the characters are marginalized.

5. SilverSmith

DC Universe has released an extended 2019 trailer teasing upcoming series for the streaming platform.

6. SilverSmith

[​IMG]

New Publisher TKO Studios Wants You to Read Comics Like You Watch Netflix
    12/27/18

TKO Studios wants to give readers the opportunity to binge-read comics the way they sit down to binge-watch episodes of their favorite shows.

Press release:

We know fans don’t want to wait months to read a full story. So we BINGE-RELEASE our books. We make all issues of a single miniseries available at once.

We ALSO know people like to read their books in a variety of formats. So we make our books available in THREE DIFFERENT FORMATS, right off the bat. The three format are: Full six-issue set in a collector's box, trade paperback and digital download to read on desktop, tablet or mobile devices.

All books released in six-issue arcs, first issues online for free @ https://tkopresents.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: NY Times

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be. Rare enough for black people to get in the water, let alone live in it.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Smh

9. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember there being a story arc (In the Comics) of Black Manta. He went underwater with a bunch of other brothas because there was no real life for us on land.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Oh I just live on the water and surrounded by beaches that people actually visit. Feel free to tell me what happens.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

That does sound like a plausible back story. Funny enough that once bm were to get things going underwater, they would try to take that as well.

12. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

Yeah....A comic book version of Netflix is not an original concept. This already exists.

13. SilverSmith

Where does this exist?
    Who's the other comic publisher releasing all its NEW series in either print or digital format en masse?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  14. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Just watched Jack Ryan on Amazon. It was okay. Seemed rushed, but worth watching. There were a couple of spots where I was like, "Really? No way the CIA or FBI would ..."

The whole thing gave off a "24 Lite" kind of vibe. But, if you want a quick binge, it's a decent choice. Enjoyable as long as you're willing to overlook a couple of WTF plot points.

15. ColiBreh1

Without looking it up to be sure, I'm pretty sure Marvel has had a subscription service for years. Amazon/comiXology have a subscription service. DC Comics FINALLY has a subscription service with DC Universe. If i'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

16. SilverSmith

Marvel, DC and its indie competitors typically publish new books on a monthly basis. DC implemented a two- month shipping policy in 2016. But you still have to wait to read the entire series, even with a subscription.

Amazon/Comixology Unlimited doesn't offer access to the complete run of an all-new series all at once. TKO Studios debuts new multi-issue comics in their entirety for binge reading . The key word being new. Comixology did so only once with its original title, "Super Freaks".

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed Jack Ryan. I agree about the "really?" moments. I assume any shows or movies about the CIA that didn't require suspension of disbelief would be way too boring to endure lol

18. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

The biggest difference is they're making all issues available at once on new comics, too. That's what they mean by comparing themselves to Netflix's all episodes drop at once model.

19. ColiBreh1

OK, I just finished season 3 of "Vikings" a couple nights ago & i'm hyped to get into season 4 after watching the season 4 trailers & promotional material. I just gotta wonder, why isn't "Vikings" as big & as popular as "Game of Thrones" & "The Walking Dead"?

I always thought dudes who think "Spartacus" is a better show than GoT, just because "Spartacus" has way more non-stop action than GOT, are being ridiculous. But if some folks feel that way about "Vikings" over GoT, I couldn't blame them. Micheal Hirst is a beast when it comes to screenwriting/producing historical dramas based on medieval Europe.

20. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Vikings and Spartacus are both missing a sense of the fantastic. Without fantasy or sci-fi elements, the real world settings of those shows aren't quite as compelling for some people.