BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

The Supergirl line was a joke, though I still think it's apropos.

And I got that you were expressing a preference. I was merely starting that I didn't quite understand why you prefer it. We all like different things, I guess

2. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

They do that in every tv show and movie with bm/ww couples. Its always a knock, gunshot, explosion, scream or phone call that interupts the moment.

3. Welp, they can’t drag it out much longer lol the fanbase seems to want them together.

4. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

Exactly, just like they're gonna drag TF out of Tyrone and Tandy on Cloak and Dagger even though the fanbase is screaming for them to get together.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I don't think they can do that much longer. This fanbase is STRONGLY in for them being together. Fan pages, youtube love videos filling up the comment sections everytime they post about the show on twitter with wanting Tandy & Tyrone to get together sooner than later. I like the pace they are going, but they are stuck right now.

6. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

New promo for "Fam" in the first 30 seconds of the of this clip (The rest of the clip is the same promotional footage that CBS dropped this past weekend):

7. ColiBreh1

Oh for real? There obviously playing the long game with Dr. Reynolds & Dr. Bloom on "New Amsterdam" though.

8. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

That's the vibe I got from it. It seems like they were teasing it out. My gf roped me into watching the first 3 or so episodes with her. Neither of us stuck with the show, but they were definitely drawing it out until they finally end up together. However, as I said, we didn't stick with it. So, I could be proven wrong. It was an ongoing subject on the show. Not just a one off explanation for not putting them together.

9. darkcurry

They seem to want to do in a "race doesn't matter" sense. They want to play to that part of the audience, but the problem is there are very few people out there nowdays that will go for that. Especially when it comes to a white woman with a black man. Nearly every negative story that comes out where we see a bad situation with a bm/ww IR couple people like to blame it on dating outside your race. I think that would work with the sensible folks out there, though.

10. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

Yeah Tandy and Tyrone have at max one more season without being a couple since a bulk of the comic and the stakes end up being linked to their love for one another. I'm glad they're taking their time as a slower burn will make it that much more exciting when they get together but yeah they can't wait too long

11. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

I've brought this up several times before, but could someone explain why it's better to have a "slow burn" with bmww couples? I don't get why that's better than actually seeing the couples together, especially if they're stable and happy.

No shade! Just want to understand what I'm missing lol

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I agree. Seems like its American conditioning.

13. darkcurry

It's cynicism knowing how Hollywood do things. I get it, but at the same time I would ask you to take patience into consideration of being a key proponent to telling a good love story. We have also seen black men and white women start off with being in a loving relationship and then break up and some times the break up be horrible and involve her falling in love with a white guy. Didn't we just talk about a certain Holiday movie that was like that? So really the end game is what matters overall, fellas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying and to an extent it is conditioning but let's be honest how many shows start off with the lead couple already in a relationship? Black, white or orhterwise? Unless it's a family drama like the upcoming "Fam" or "Happy Endings" a few years back it's all about the chase. That's what audiences want to see. I think it has far less to do with their skin color than it does lazy writers who are stuck in a formula. That being said I think Hollywood is much more apt to have a black and white relationship fail but if you have a couple on TV that's the main focus and they start out as a couple the show has to revolve around their personal drama hence shows like "Life Sentence" where now the drama has to revolve around their relational issues. If you have a show like "God Friended Me" then it's going to focus on the will they won't they aspect. It's routine. Some shows and movies do a better job of this and yes white writers are going to be way more keen to abandon those plans because they have no personal investment in the relationship and a white male writer is rarely going to willingly put a black male in a relationship with the hot white female for long because I guarantee there is a white male character in there that serves as that white male writer's personal insert.

Like *ahem* SW The Last Jedi.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. ColiBreh1

I already said "Slow Burn" isn't necessarily better than an established couple, it's just my personal preference & it's not specific to only BMWW (or BM/non-BW IR) couples.

I don't disagree. "Slow Burn" relationship build-ups is such a normalized concept on American television, I don't know why dudes are freaking out about it like it's something foreign to them.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  16. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Do you mind sharing why you prefer that? Just curious

17. darkcurry

They're rebooting Temptation Island. But don't tell USA that as they are marketing it as a new series! lol!!

I never really watched these kind of shows back in the day because they made the brothas out to be some suckas. That or they either pick some sucker ass black guys. I'll check this out, don't think now at my age this would be my thing to get into though.

18. ColiBreh1

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True indeed. Brothers get the short end of the stick.

20. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member