BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

What I'm about to say isn't revisionism because I made this point months before A Birth of a Nation was released. The film should have been released like a typical arthouse/independent film. Instead, because of wild enthusiasm it received from a Sundance audience, the studio that purchased it thought it had the next Django blockbuster with some 12 Years A Slave prestige to go along with it. They put the trailer of this movie showing in theaters playing mainstream popcorn superhero flicks. That was dumb. They released this movie in over 2000 screens as if was some action flick starring the Rock. Before the controversy broke out I was shaking my head at the decisions being made by the studio. Those decisions, including overpaying for the rights, backfired.

2. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

"Containment" on NETFLIX just popped up and it features several IR couples but moreover the pilot is very compelling! They seem to have fillmed on location in Atlanta, GA about a highly contagious viral outbreak which may have been launched by Syrian bio-terrorists. There is a white teenager who we will remember from "Spartacus - War of the Damned" as that super rich Roman Noble who had a super rich Roman Noble brother ?? Well here she has a black baby daddy who she has decided to run away with in lieu of adoption . . . her grandad is black too but we can assume he's her stepgrandfather because his wife is white. Show didn't make it but give the first couple episodes a look because I think you're gonna like it - "Containment" on NETFLIX

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

LOL. Use the search function within this thread. "Containment" originally aired on The CW 2 years ago. So we discussed it than.

4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

God, I always loved her. Might have to watch so I can get my vicarious thrills in lol

5. RicardoCooper

I used to love Suits but it's an example of a show that went on too long. The whole conceit of the show is the relationship/bromance between Harvey and Mike, now Mike's getting married and leaving the show (Meghan Markle is leaving to be a princess IRL). Also the boss lady Gina Torres left. It'll be a whole new show with Dule and Heigl.

6. ColiBreh1

New trailer dropped today:

7. RicardoCooper

Who are these people? Is that Dagger on the left?

8. qaz1

qaz1 Well-Known Member

Are we sure this is supposed to be an ir romance? These clips sure don't set it up that way. It looks platonic and very temporary to me.

9. blackbull1970

blackbull1970 Well-Known Member

If they are following the original comics, they were not involved in IR relationship at the start.

It was later revealed that Cloak was feeding off of Dagers light to survive, not sure if that will be part of the plot.

The original comics was mainly a anti-drug comic in relation to what was going on in America with the introduction of Crack cocaine in the early 80s.

10. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Those critics who have seen the first episode said it was a romance and that is the way MARVEL is selling it.

http://themarvelreport.com/2016/08/marvel-tv-boss-talks-cloak-dagger-marvels-wanted/

Marvel Television Head Jeph Leob:
    “It’s a love story that happens to have characters that have always traditionally been in that age group. It’s not like we took something and made it into a YA. It speaks to a YA audience and is a YA property. Would I do Punisher on Freeform? I don’t think that’s going to connect the same way.”
    [​IMG]

One review: Film contributor Meredith Borders saw a sneak peek of the show’s pilot at the SXSW Film Festival in March
    “Marvel’s Cloak & Dagger” is the story of Tandy Bowen (Olivia Holt) and Tyrone Johnson (Aubrey Joseph) – two teenagers from very different backgrounds, who find themselves burdened and awakened to newly acquired superpowers which are mysteriously linked to one another. Tandy can emit light daggers and Tyrone has the ability to engulf others in darkness. They quickly learn they are better together than apart, but their feelings for each other make their already complicated world even more challenging."

Like in the comics when they attempt to touch their powers react violently to one another so they can't touch unless they are in this realm we see in the final trailer.

But with the revelation that one of them is fated to die I wonder if this is a one time series. That revelation throws me off, so is it smoke and mirrors? Regardless they just gained even more interest into the show.
    https://www.themarysue.com/cloak-and-dagger-final-trailer/

11. darkcurry

:):cool:
    [​IMG]

12. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

It's probably not explicitly teen IR but subtle in season 1. That just makes sense . . . slowly develop it by focusing on them separately via backgrounds. They became married much later in life I recall so patience is a virtue.

13. darkcurry

Yeah only time I agree with pacing a relationship is when them being together is the goal. Unfortunately we have seen it where the relationship doesn't go anywhere and they send off with the white guy in the middle of their relationship. So that makes it hard to trust, but again as I have pointed they said this is a love story between Tandy and Tyrone. So I'm going to let them write it. This will also be kind of new territory for Marvel as they have yet to do a true love story with Marvel characters, just play around with it lightly.

14. ColiBreh1

15. ColiBreh1

For folks who haven't seen the episode of "Atlanta", here's part of the scene:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  16. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

Exactly, needy.

17. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

18. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Smh sad to see but so necessary.
    You gotta love the entitlement. "I don't have 8 years to be waiting on no community service ass"
    So apparently she wanted ownership of all his hard work and wanted to reap benefits she took no part in because she struggles to find the rich famous man of her dreams.
    This shit gives bw a bad name but at the same time I am patiently waiting to see examples of other bw checking entitled women like this. In fact I want to see more ww stand up to assholes like this.

19. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

From what I have noticed, ww seem to be raised to see potential (I assume that is a product of good parenting), and in contrast bw are taught to search for a finished product.
    BW in general, feel entitled to success that they have no part in and it isn't just reflected here. If you factor in the shaming language they use, you see they are full of it. When black women are trying to force you to date them they bring up your mother or some group of black women back in the 60s that marched, or something of that nature. They ignore the fact that they, personally, aren't doing or haven't done any of that. Not to mention, pulling the "your mother is black" crap is asking for a brotha with an Oedipus complex. BW are raised by black women to search for finished products when they themselves aren't finished products.

In regards to women seeing potential, I have noticed that ww will see potential in an intelligent black man, but black women will see potential in a thug or dope boy (because the thug or dope boy is considered a finish product due to the items he purchases with drug and crime money). The only ww I find that do the same thing as bw are white women that are heavily influenced by bw, and those are the ones writing long posts online bashing black men for black female approval. You can spot those a mile away.

I personally like Atlanta. I think it is one of the few shows that hires black male writers and in turn gives a black man's perspective. Something that almost no show ever does. The closest I've seen is the cottonmouth storyline in the first season of Luke Cage. Anyway, My two cents.

20. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

The difference I see between BW and WW when seeking out a man is that BW wants what Jack (my ex) called a more transactional relationship from their men. They expect to be taken care of financially by a boyfriend they don't even live with, want the man to pay their rent and they claim men loves this stuff. I did not believe him at first, but my time on the hater site I like to whine about proved him right.

Jack actually said it to me: The reason I and many other brothers (black American men) adore white women so much is that most WW don't have this sugar baby mindset (some of us do, but that is beside his point), and then we will give you all we have. He was a good man, I hope he rest in peace.