New Here, Mom from Georgia

Discussion in 'Welcome Center and Announcements' started by GAmomlisa, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Wow. You had seen a lot of changes. When I left 30 years ago I never forget those white knuckled bridges on the way to Atlanta.

2. Soulthinker

I thougth I was at a rollercoster.

3. GAmomlisa

GAmomlisa Well-Known Member

GA has changed so much over the years! Mostly for the better I'd say! I didnt grow up by Atlanta though, I grew up in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in NW GA

4. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

That used to be the joke at my job when I moved here. A few of them would say stuff like.... "Uhhhh weren't you supposed to continue south to Atlanta?". It was cool to see how much it's come along. It had been many years other than connecting flight, but funny enough... I've been to Atlanta 3 times in the last 2 years. I can't blame them. NYC has gotten really expensive, and I think it's a hard place to live. I always say that If I went back... I'd have to live in the suburbs.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. GAmomlisa

Hahaha I've pretty much felt that way since my divorce!

6. Soulthinker

W
    Yes going on the tall bridges are like your past relationship. Scary.

7. Soulthinker

When I left 30 years back there is no MARTA station in Gwinett Co now there is one. Underground Atlanta was just a shell only be rebuilt in the early 90's.

8. GAmomlisa

Hahaha yep! Its like a full on migration! My EX husband used to complain about it :( One of many reasons he's my EX! hahaha

9. DudeNY12

Lol! I imagine he (and many others) would complain at least a bit. I freely admit that New Yorkers do more than enough to earn the repuation for being rude, unfriendly and more.

10. GAmomlisa

Haha that might be true! But for him it was more of a racial thing :( He had many racist tendencies that I looked past for far too long

11. DudeNY12

Oh OK. I imagine he must have all sorts of thoughts about you now. My ex-wife was rather open in that area, but I have a cousin who is totally racist. We talked about him at length at the family reunion a few weeks ago. He didn't bother to show up, and he's unhappy with a bunch of us, especially me:)

12. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

What kind of racist tendencies and why did you look past them? Have black men always piqued your interest or did the attraction to them happen over time?

13. GAmomlisa

Yeah, he has a lot to say about me and our daughter's preferences. Eventually both of us decided we really just didnt want him in our life anymore :( He is a very sad angry man and you just dont want that in your life at some point

14. DudeNY12

Truth. It's one thing for you and he not to work out, but it's very sad that his daughter wants nothing to do with him. I'm glad her mind seems to be open like her Mom's:).

15. GAmomlisa

He would use slurs and stuff like that. Ive always been attracted to black men! Wasnt totally an accepted thing to date black men when i was young in the south though :(

16. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

Hey GAmomlisa, nice to meet you. Welcome!

17. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Welcome!

18. GAmomlisa

Its very sad, but it is in his control. Tbh, Im not actually sure how open minded my daughter is though! Lol I dont think Ive ever seen her with a white guy? hahaha

19. DudeNY12

Yeah, you'd think her father would realize what's most important, but sounds like he may be too blinded by the hatred.

Interesting:). Does she date only black guys or any that aren't white?

I have a co-worked BM who dates a WW and he wants to move to Atlanta. They'll likely get married but she's concerned about heading south with them being an IR couple.

20. GAmomlisa

I dont think she has like a strict policy either way lol, but I see her mostly with black guys. I have met a latino boy she was dating, as well as an arab guy. Lol, tell them they shouldnt worry about it! Atlanta has changed a lot!