Movies with BM/WW Couples

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

That scene was suggested but never shown. On the DVD when the two scientists inside the alien spacecraft are trying to contact the ship there was only a quick shot of an empty bridge.

2. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Do you remember the film Guess Who with Ashton Kutscher and Bernie Mac? It was considered a remake but in reverse.

I believe that Guess Who's Coming To Dinner belongs on the "Do Not Touch" list.

3. blackbull1970

blackbull1970 Well-Known Member

The Search option does not work good with this new format, so its hard to find out if something was posted earlier.

Get Out

[​IMG]

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2016/oct/06/get-out-horror-film-jordan-peele-black-men

Get Out: the horror film that shows it's scary to be a black man in America

The first trailer for Jordan Peele’s directorial debut about a murderous white community is a refreshing vision in a genre that often sidelines people of color

The plot focuses on Chris (Sicario’s Daniel Kaluuya), a black man planning to meet the parents of his white girlfriend Rose (Allison Williams, known for her role as Marnie in Girls) for the first time. But from the outset, something seems off. An uncomfortable encounter with a local cop puts them – and us – on edge and once they arrive at the family home and get settled, Chris becomes aware of increasingly strange, and potentially murderous, behavior. A major element of this relates to racial difference as Chris must navigate an almost entirely white space (apart from the “help”), relying on a lifetime’s worth of practice dealing with micro-aggressions and discrimination. It’s a thrilling conceit and one hopes that Get Out might signal a trend of culturally relevant horror films from film-makers of color.

4. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

I mentioned that trailer of that flick weeks ago.

5. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

There are 3 different threads on this movie in this subforum. This the longest & oldest thread: http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/f...-daniel-kaluuya-set-to-star-in-get-out.27630/

6. ColiBreh1

https://twitter.com/shadowandact/status/827271835834126336
    [​IMG]
    http://shadowandact.com/2017/02/02/...h-the-romantic-drama-the-mountain-between-us/

7. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

She was Lordez on Falling Skies used to love that show. She was with a black dude on their too

8. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

9. Soulthinker

Sad,but true.

10. JUANMACKER

JUANMACKER Active Member

Love story in Blacklist "Natalie Luca 184" Season 4 Episode 12 with Elizabeth Lail and RJ Brown...

elizabeth-lail.jpg RJ Brown.jpeg

11. Soulthinker

Has anyone seen the kid's movie "Holes"? One of the western stories the kid heard was about a WW who turns outlaw when her Black boyfriend was killed.

12. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Shia Labeouf back when he was a Disney Channel Star. I remember it vaguely.

13. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

[​IMG]
    Imperial Dreams directed by Malik Vitthal, tells the story of an ex LA gang banger just released from prison. Determined to leave his criminal past behind to have a better life with his son, Bambi (John Boyega) must overcome the temptations of his former life while dealing with troubled relatives and a chaotic urban environment. Boyega is absolutely brilliant as Bambi. Most people probably only know Boyega from Star Wars, but I first saw Boyega in the sci-fi comedy, Attack The Block. When I heard years ago that the same actor who starred in Attack The Block would also be in Star Wars as a potential Jedi, I knew Boyega was going places.
    [​IMG]

Despite the dark tones of the film, Imperial Dreams has a beautiful message of hope and determination. I would love to talk about this film's powerful message regarding the black community and black men, but when I tried to spark those conversations in the past on here, it was never received well, so I won't bother. But the lack of programs and empathy for single fathers should be discussed. If Bambi did not have the determination to provide a better life for his son, he would have undoubtedly returned to a life of crime just to provide for his son. There's a plethora of state programs for single mothers and child support is almost never enforced on women. Yet there was nothing for Bambi and his son Day. Not a shelter, nor food bank, or work program for Bambi so he could earn a living and satisfy his obligation for probation. They wouldn't even issue Boyega's character an ID for work because of back child support.
    [​IMG]

Despite Imperial Dreams being largely ignored and having lackluster reviews, it's still an amazing film that black men should really take to heart. Unsurprisingly, black social media has ignored Imperial Dreams and its message. In the face of all this, Imperial Dreams still shines through. I really have to thank Malik Vitthal for at least trying to tell the black man's story. Please watch and share Imperial Dreams because very few care about this kind of story.

14. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Sigh ... I'm sure it will be a good movie. But, damn, why does every black film have to be connected to the streets or the hood. Fuck! That's not all we are.

Many of us have zero dealings with that kind of life. Where are those stories?

15. ColiBreh1

@darkcurry The movie is finally being released to theaters this upcoming weekend. That might explain the lack of Awards Season nominations because it isn't eligible.

16. darkcurry

No it was released in the U.K. back in November, but in the U.S. this year. That made it eligible. Just like the movie The Danish Girl and other movies that were first released over seas.
    And I still haven't seen much about this film by the media even with the upcoming release this weekend.

17. darkcurry

Hollywood LOVES to stereotype because it limits roles given to non white people. But I heard good things about this movie so I'm looking forward to it, but yeah
    I TOTALLY get what your saying.

18. ColiBreh1

"The Danish Girl" was released in the U.S. back in November. I'm pretty sure movies have to get at least a limited theatrical release in the U.S. before the end of the year to be eligible for Awards season. I'm not sure. That might only apply for the Oscars though.

19. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

I agree, but it seems like Hollywood has very little interest in showing an alternative image of black men. Heck, Imperial Dreams premiered at Sundance three years ago and Netflix just acquired the film recently. Black men are going to have to go the indie film route if they want to see another image out there.

20. Luvu2Death

Luvu2Death Active Member

We have to go the indie film route and support black male directors who are trying to push an alternative images. But I hope you enjoy Imperial Dreams. Boyega is a fantastic actor.