NFL QB National Anthem Protest

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Thump, Aug 27, 2016.

1. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Not a threat. An accusation? Yes.

2. K

K Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Millennials don't experience systemic racism?

3. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Yup! I agree. The funny thing is that many (like my ex's brother) are quick to go on the whole, race baiting/race card, get over it type of BS. I think many of us would agree that while we'll keep the history of our people close... Most of us would be fine if these racist people trying their BS, then claiming innocence would just leave us alone. Most of us simply want to put in a honest day's work, go home, and basically live our lives in peace.

It sure would be nice to not have to always be mindful of acting a certain way, wearing a hoodie and so just because of my skin color.

We often use the term "angry man" as a joke, but realistically... It's understandable why many are angry, and of course unfortunate when they direct that anger at any and everyone who is white. I guess it's not much different from this trend of treating all people of Middle East descent as terrorists.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I don't know what UCMJ is, but could he not write up someone. who was supposed to be under him? He said others took care of the situation with their rifles or did l read that wrong. He said he would have gotten a bullet in his chest if they weren't there? Is that true in that training arena?

I think if someone is throwing a bottle at you, you should protect yourself. Or call the cops or security. In the end the man was removed.

I specifically said it doesn't mean it isn't hurt ful or is hateful, just that l feel it doesn't carry that power over black people like it once did. A racist asshole telling it doesn't scare anymore, or am l wrong on that?
    Also, l asked earlier, do you think racism is different from a powerless racist? Or the same thing?

5. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Yup. The bottom line is this country's history/heritage isn't a good on for blacks and a person that's nonblack will never "totally" understand how it feels to walk in these shoes.

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Could you also include the trend that "all people" of white descent are treated as being racists?

And why do feel you have to be mindful to act a certain way? To whom?

7. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I think this solution to the problem (expressed by meow at the bar) is a perfect example of our white privilege. Im not pointing a finger at you, I've said that same kind of answer to people countless times myself. While it's a perfect common sense response ("the right to protect/defend yourself") for a white American, it's never that simple for a bm. I've been with my fiancee 3 years and have seen time and time again, the different outcomes he and I have when doing the exact same thing (making a complaint, dealing with police during a traffic violation, etc). The laws may be in place permitting someone to protect themselves, but unfortunately we've seen over and over when those laws protect you and I differently than they do a bm in the same situation. While you and I can naturally fall back on the laws in place to protect our actions, I think the point a few here are making is that there's so much more to consider for a bm in the same situation (protecting himself or even just calling on the cops to make a complaint).

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Uniform code of military justice

The reason double jeopardy does not apply to military personnel. You can face civilian charges out in town and get hammered for the same crime/incident by your commanding officer. You could face reduction in rank, lose pay for half a month, get placed on restriction, extra duty and more. Not fun if you are already working 12 to 14 hour shifts with regular duty assignments.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well Raider, l appreciate you responding with your thoughtful POV without accusations.

I agree with you that we more likely feel compelled to advocate our rights in situation where a BP might not. I don't profess to know how it feels to be Black, l only can go by prejudices inflicted upon me and that is my base. I do have empathy, l'm not oblivious.

I also understand about the traffic stops - even though l get anxiety my car will be taken from me (my rear lights are out and l don't have the $pare to fix them yet) , l don't fear l might go to jail or die. I always feel like l can talk my way out of it (you probably could too) whereas a BP might feel the complete opposite.

Same thing in a bar situation. I guess BM are constantly assessing the situation wheras you and l are merely reactive to a situation as it occurs. Maybe Meow knew the bottle was coming and ducked, whereas l would have been obliviously hit and then reacted.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Being treated as racists? Kinda like an abuse victim treating all men as abusers? If someone hates men I'm good with it, we don't have to date or speak for that matter, unless she is my boss or something like that. Bottom line is you can live your life and not be bothered by what black people think if it's that serious.

There is no place on earth we can go to escape our reality.

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

See, l didn't know double jeopardy is excluded for military personnel. Now l know.
    I still wonder about the racist guy pulling a gun on him.l just can't fathom he was allowed to continue.

12. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

You are starting to understand my at best neutral attitude for this guy. I have a viewpoint about him and it probably is wrong to do but I just don't get that guy. I feel like you are trying to address his contradictions. I would agree with that if the time line is right. I'm not going to bother to check when he said those two comments.

13. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I talked (cried lol) my way out of my last speeding ticket. It was the end of a long day at work, I was going 85-90 and already had two speeding tickets on payment plans being paid off. The tears were real lol, and he let me go. The police reaction when they've pulled us over together (fiancee driving) was completely different. He ended up ticketing us BOTH which was complete bullshit but sadly I can't even expect any different when we're together. You're exactly right, you and I have the luxury of being allowed to be reactive, whereas bp have to evaluate all the what-ifs of their reactions.

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I mentioned it was 2012.

Wayne racism

15. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Then I agree with you though I am not clicking because I feel a certain way about him.

If this thread starts to be more and more about celebrities that I don't support, I'm gone.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yeah get a DUI, which could probably cost you 2500 to 5 grand. Then after your Commanding officer hammers you and hits you twice for half a months pay, and reduces your rank the same DUI could cost you 20,000 to 30,000. or more after a few years once you factor in the reduction in rank that you have to fight to get back. Lets not even talk about where you could have been. You could have been on the brink of a promotion, then get hammered and pushed back in rank essentially losing two ranks when you look at it. It adds up.

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I do agree the dynamic changes..we help none when our men are present. I remember a cop making both my husband and l put our hands up on the dashboard and told not to move them. For a traffic stop? It wasn't pleasant.

Lol no tears (yet) from me, but I will cop to when l accidently made an illlegal left turn and the officer, as soon as l began explaining myself, got all excited because "he'd never met anyone from Australia before!" and loved my accent. So he gave me a "written warning" instead. I was so damn happy!

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Holy shit. That's just a ridiculous domino effect. I understand now the avoidance.

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Apparently we're a bunch of cry babies who don't know what "real" racism (as described by a white person no less) and should be happy it's not firehoses and attack dogs we have to deal with.

You know what's funny is older people who have gone through the shit she's talking about don't call us soft, don't say this generation needs to stop marching and complaining because we don't know what racism is like. They usually march right along with us. Go figure.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Don't get in trouble while you are in school. You can lose your job because you are not even qualified yet. Then you get sent to the fleet jobless and essentially a janitor. Lol