Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

I went to see Stomp tonight.
    If the show is ever in your area, you should really check it out.
    Amazing!
    My feet were moving the whole 100 minutes.

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Hey girl!! I'd love to see Stomp. I've seen videos and it really does look amazing.

3. Unique4ever

It is incredible! They use brooms, buckets, pipes, paper, lighters.....
    they turn everything into percussions.
    I always wanted to see it and was happy to get a ticket, since almost every day was sold out.

4. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Lucky girl. I've seen the buckets and brooms. It's impressive.

5. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I saw it years ago in NYC. I loved it.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Sooo, no one won. It's now at $675 million. Jeezus.

8. buglerroller

buglerroller Well-Known Member

I know right!

9. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I really, really, really want to take a road trip to see this on Broadway (and not the traveling show that's coming to Chicago at the end of September):

[YOUTUBE]0wboCdgzLHg[/YOUTUBE]

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Really?

11. Unique4ever

20 misused English words that make smart people look silly

That was quite interesting to read.

We’re all tempted to use words that we’re not too familiar with. If this were the only problem, I wouldn’t have much to write about.
    That’s because we’re cautious with words we’re unsure of and, thus, they don’t create much of an issue for us. It’s the words that we think we’re using correctly that wreak the most havoc. We throw them around in meetings, e-mails and important documents (such as resumes and client reports), and they land, like fingernails across a chalkboard, on everyone who has to hear or read them. We’re all guilty of this from time to time, myself included.

When I write, I hire an editor who is an expert in grammar to review my articles before I post them online. It’s bad enough to have a roomful of people witness your blunder—it’s something else entirely to stumble in front of 100,000! The point is, we can all benefit from opportunities to sharpen the saw and minimize our mistakes. Often, it’s the words we perceive as being more correct or sophisticated that don’t really mean what we think they do. There are 20 such words that have a tendency to make even really smart people stumble.

Have a look to see which of these commonly confused words throw you off.

http://qz.com/432285/20-misused-words-that-make-smart-people-look-dumb/

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I think I mess up with "imply" and "infer" sometimes. The rest I'm comfortable that I use correctly.

13. Unique4ever

I found out that I probably fucked up a few times with lay/lie.

14. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

Among my Christmas gifts, was a very expensive rotary tooth brush...... And I am here to tell you....that I am in love with that thing like a little grade school punk who just got his first kiss......The thing even has its own timer.......

15. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I make a conscious effort to not fall into this. Generally, if I'm not sure of the usage of a word... I'll usually go the safe route, and use another word(s). Many times I've been embarrassed for a person when reading something they wrote or listening to them speak. I have a friend who once had a dispute with her supervisor in regards to annual leave she had used. My friend was incorrectly using the word "deplete" in her communication. Her e-mail read something like... "I depleted 8 hours of leave on x day, and 8 hours on the following day". I attempted to explain the error to her, but she refused to hear it.

16. Unique4ever

Same with me. If I don't know the correct spelling or meaning of a word, I will either look it up or use another term/word.
    I would always appreciate if someone was trying to keep me from making a fool out of myself.

17. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Just closed on a house in Chestnut Hill, PA! Its way too big for me but awesome!
    My house is going on the market on wednesday. This shit is getting real!!!! I was lucky that i bought my house at the very bottom ( not really luck, i did survey the market closely for 3 years before i decided to buy and its paying off so i can buy this awesome house in Philadelphia). Party at my house for locals when i move in:- ) looking at Bliss and others here:).
    It has a wine cooler and icemaker in the basement. I will buy a ping-pong table and a dartboard for the basement. Partyyyyyy! Lol. I need someone to change all the rinkydink cheap flip switches to the modern plates. Any takers?:)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Awesome....

19. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Lol. That sounded Luke warm:)

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol

Ok how about this....

Aaawwwwesome