Would you WW participate in kneeling during the anthem with your BM if he asked you?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by 4north1side2, Oct 15, 2017.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Have you protested before?

What for?

Is their any form of protesting you are fully against like burning of the flag?

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I'd absolutely participate, hubby wouldn't even have to ask. Until this country treats my husband the same as they treat me, the collective whole gets no respect or loyalty from me.

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

My first time participating in a protest was when I was in college. A good number of college staff and instructors were being fired for "budgetary reasons." A lot of us on campus believed it was personal. The president of the college fired the instructors because they wanted to join a union. Some of the staff that worked for the president for years were on the chopping block. One instructor claimed that the president(who was a female and the instructor a male) came on to him.

There was a televised meeting and I was in the audience. Two of the instructors hired an attorney who was also present. The board of inquiry asked that the attorney not to advise the instructors and let them speak. The attorney stepped aside and one of the instructors stepped up to the mic and said, "I have a constitutional right to have an attorney speak on my behalf. You are not infringing on my constitutional rights."
    We in the audience gave him a round of applause. A secretary for the president stepped up and asked why she, whom had worked for the president for over five years was being let go in favor of someone who had only been working for a year. The president remained silent and cold. The woman broke down and cried. Her husband stepped up to comfort his wife. He came up to the mic as said, "If you all want to save money, why don't you take a cut on n your salaries?"
    He received a round of applause.
    The president finally spoke. And it was revealed that she not only had her salary but she also had expenses like the home she resides in, her car and entertainment expenses. Behind the audience was a window. The protesters were also watching and chanting for her ouster. The president looked at the window and became visibly shaken. After she was finished the board ended the meeting. This protest had everyone scared, including students, many of whom transferred to another college. It was a very tense time to be a student or faculty member of that school back then.

When I read about those who kneel during the national anthem, I am not offended. Kneeling can also be a symbol of respect. The issue with the kneeling for most of the people is what it represents. When two black Olympic athletes who received their gold medals, raised their right fists and nodded their heads during national anthem in Mexico in the 70's, that caused a stir. To the athletes, it was a salute to the black community and a positive image. To others, it was viewed as a threat.

I recently read an article about a country western singer who sang the national anthem while kneeling. She was known, but not a superstar. But her reasons were because she felt the same as the black people she had known in her life. Some of her band mates were black. After she finished, she had some applause and a lot of boos. But she was not deter and not sorry for what she had done.

I probably would not kneel but I would not attack anyone who does. I have nothing against free speech. I believe speaking up for one's beliefs is a great thing. Kaepernick's gesture was not a call to violence but a call to the masses to think about those who are suffering in this country. I look forward to this country being a better place than it is now.

4. GAmomlisa

GAmomlisa Well-Known Member

Absolutely I would participate! I do without having to be asked. I will not stand for this country's anthem. I have participated in several BLM protests in the ATL area and would gladly again. While I personally would probably not burn a US flag, I completely understand and support people who do!

5. 4north1side2

[​IMG]

Funny enough, many white women over here who like black men are against the NFL players protesting. Pretty much all of them don't even know why they are protesting.

6. K

K Well-Known Member

UGH! that's really awful....not shocking though

7. K

K Well-Known Member

Yes I have and I would. I tend to protest more in ways of advocacy in my daily work as I find that to typically be more productive. However, I definitely have had many times when I've been out there. It mostly depends on how I feel the best results will be gained.

For me, that has nothing to do with who I choose to date or my children (although all that definitely fuels it for me now!) I was out there doing all that as a kid. I think I was about 10 when I participated in first protests. We had just moved to California and were protesting something about the school in 5th grade.

8. RaiderLL

Anyone against the protests either don't understand what's being protested or they agree (on some level) with the inequities in this country.

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor."

Its that simple.

9. 4north1side2

I feel this!

I protest in how I live and how I spend my money. I had beef with the NFL way back in 2005. In 2007 I decided I would never spend a single penny on the NFL again. Haven't had a a NFL game broadcasted in our household since 2009.

10. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

I'd like to know @Bliss' answer.

11. 4north1side2

Bliss would happily protest

[​IMG]

A protest lol

12. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

Me too.
    Unless it's an issue our views strongly differ on (haven't found any of those yet) then I'd absolutely kneel to support my man.
    Just as I hope he'd do the same for me.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Old School's Frank. LOL

14. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Big hugs!

Nice to hear from you, and hope all is well.

15. RaiderLL

Right back at ya sir! Still no hug emoji here?! That was my favorite one lol!

16. K

K Well-Known Member

we are missing several good ones!

17. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Since I learned of the lyrics that were left out of the anthem and it's original sentiment, I have zero respect for it.

Original lyrics included:

"No refuge could save the hireling and slave
    From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

The "slave" referred to afro-american rebels who fought on the side of the british in the war of 1812 to win their freedom from US slavery... So even as the song sings about "land of the free"... it wanted nothing but slavery for black people.

We didn't count AT ALL for mr. francis scott key (who wrote the song).

Kinda like being a pacifist, but swatting a mosquito... because bugs don't count. That's how little Mr. key thought of enslaved people in america -- "land of the free".

I'd rather watch the game from home than be surrounded by idiots who expect you to respect that song and flag more than you respect yourself...

...Like this chick:

Much love to the ladies here who would stand up for justice...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  18. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

It's always comforting to know that there are good women in this forum.