Who's a hero? This guy.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ches, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

HAHA :smt036 a salty TDK neg repped me for this post. Well enjoy your return one, child.

2. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I hear cops and firefighters hailed as heroes all the time. What are you talking about?

What did the bouncer have to gain from it?

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

His job unlike his female counterpart who will probably lose hers. How about this scenario do we hail public defenders as heroes?

4. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

He's a hero because when push came to shove he chose to fight and protect the patrons in that place. That chicks gut reaction was to run. A security shirt doesn't give someone the courage to do what's right. They probably make $10-$15/hr...not enough to put themselves in harms way for the protection of others unless it's already ingrained in their character. I doubt he was feeling like it was just another day at the office when those shots rang out. Keeping his job was probably the last thing on his mind.

5. The Dark King

Then how much is enough? In NYC after 6 years dudes are making 90k. Do we still call you a hero if you're making that much?
    Not trying to be obtuse I just question how we use the term

6. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any amount of money that makes a person jump into action when an emergency arises. I only mentioned money because you brought up him keeping his job as if that's what he was worried about when he saw the gunman.

I think heroes have that characteristic ingrained in them just like others (the security girl) have it in them to duck and cover.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Well stated. Especially considering that police (WITH guns) are NOT constitutionally obligated to protect us, which actually makes what a gun-less brave Eric Wesson did, so much the more brave.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Three teenagers saved by Good Samaritan after mother 'drove them into river to try to kill them'

By Lydia Warren, Published: 17 April 2014

Joann Smith, 49, from Florence Township, New Jersey, drove onto a boat ramp and accelerated into the Delaware River on Tuesday night, according to the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office.

The mother, who has battled mental illness for more than a decade, was inside the vehicle with her two sons and a daughter, aged 13, 14 and 15, when she plunged into the water. Three teenagers frantically used their cellphones to call their father for help from the sinking van.

'They did all the right things,' said the father, Jeffrey Smith.

Smith said he received a call from his daughter around 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday. He said his two sons in the van were simultaneously trying to call 911, but one was cut off when the phone got wet. Smith said he was about 15 miles away running an errand with the couple's eldest son when he got the call. 'I just thank God that they got out safely.'

They were pulled to safety by a passerby. Luckily, 36-year-old Darnell Taylor and his wife were driving past - and the car caught his eye. He told his wife they should turn back in case anyone needed his help.

[​IMG]
    hero!

'I got out of the car and heard people screaming,' Taylor told NBC 10. 'I took off my jacket, jumped in and swam out there.' :heart:

As he swam towards the family, his wife called 911.

'I couldn't get the window open because the window in the van was not a pop out window,' Taylor said. 'So I kept telling the young lady to kick the window out and she kicked it out.'

Taylor grabbed the mother and her children one-by-one and returned them to the shore, taking eight trips in total. Smith said nothing to him throughout the rescue except 'thank you', he said.

One of the children suffered a cut to the leg, but no other injuries were disclosed.

Nearby residents branded him a hero, but Taylor insisted that he was not. :freehug:

'I'm just a member of this community and anyone else would have done the same thing,' he said.

Smith is known by residents in the area and moments before she drove into the river, she bought her two sons and her daughter ice cream at the shop across the street.

Jeffrey Smith said Thursday that his wife has been battling mental illness for more than a decade.

Treatments have included hospitalizations and medications, he said, yet it's hard to determine 'when things are going to go bad'. He said he never anticipated a situation like this.

The children are now staying with relatives, according to the Burlington County Prosecutor's Office.

Smith was charged with three counts each of attempted murder and endangering the welfare of a child. She is being evaluated in a medical facility, and her bail was set at $600,000.

She is expected to appear in state Superior Court in Mount Holly on Thursday afternoon.

[​IMG]

9. The Dark King

Is this on yahoo news because if it isn't it should be. Really like the way he handled it

10. The Dark King

What on fricking earth are you talking about? You hit your head again cornbread?
    I just don't agree with calling people heroes for doing the very thing they are paid to do. No one would call an IRS forensic accountant a hero for tracking cartel money that would lead to their arrests. Its their damn job.

11. The Dark King

Nope, depending on their orders they'd kill you as soon as save you. Contrary to popular belief they don't always get the "bad" guys, they get who they're ordered to get.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Don't bother wasting your time trying to reason with him... he loves to use irrelevant analogies - in this case a stupid IRS accountant one, to justify his point.

Even the President's office acknowledges heroism with awards such Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, etc... as do Police and Fire Chiefs. Many people go beyond the scope and are indeed heroes, even those whom are employed.

Happy Easter to all the incredible Heroes.

13. The Dark King

You are a dirty fucking liar. Why do you insist on trying to call me racist because I question the system. And does any critique of the system equate to hating all white people to you? This is exactly why damn near every single black male on here sees you as some type of modern day Uncle Ruckus. Blame blacks for everything but refuse to see inequalities in the system. Smh.

And btw most soldiers go into the "service" because they don't have many employment opportunities or don't have anywhere to go. Talk to anyone who has been discharged and most will tell you it was about opportunity not some calling to serve. Same with dudes who become cops and firefighters, 20 years on and half pay for the rest of your damn life. Sounds like a lottery to me

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Much respect to this guy. Hopefully this boosted his marketability and reflects in his pay. Drinks should be on the house when this guy walks in off duty.

15. The Dark King

I didn't name call I called you out on an action you lied so you're a liar just like if you stole youdw be a thief.
    Hold on so in your eyes the system is white people fam? The system is fucking them over too, but in a different way not attached to their skin tone. Either do the research or don't speak. You embarrass yourself sir

16. The Dark King

One more time try to keep. You lied so I called you liar. If you stole a car you'd be what? A fucking thief

17. The Dark King

I used dirty because what you said was a dirty lie. People like you make it impossible to make things better in this world. Just because I'm black anytime me or someone like me criticizes the system it has to be racially motivated. Anyway never mind carry on

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

A drunk Texas mom ran over her child's father with her car and then drove into a nearby lake,
    nearly drowning her 6-month-old baby in the backseat, police said.

Galveston police arrested 30-year-old Latonya Kirven Monday and charged her with driving while intoxicated
    with a child in the vehicle and assault with a deadly weapon after the Monday afternoon rampage.

Matt Grey, 70, suffered a broken neck and is in critical condition.
    Kirven and her baby, who was rescued from the sinking car, were uninjured.

Police said the incident started Monday afternoon when Kirven "flipped out" during an argument with Grey.

The 30-year-old mom got into her car with her 6-month-old son, slammed into the victim and drove off.

Kirven and Grey have a child together, but it's not clear if that child is the 6-month-old in the backseat.

About 20 minutes later, Kirven drove into Offatts Bayou, police said.

[​IMG]

Nathan Reyna, Tyler Arcizo, Byron Bledsoe and Matt Guzman
    were fishing nearby when they saw the car drive into the water.

At first, the four teenagers thought the driver was in the vehicle alone.

"Once the car was tipping, you see the car seat for the baby tip over.
    My friend was like, 'There is a baby, there is a baby," Arcizo told the TV station.

Arcizo jumped in to rescue the infant and his mother. But Kirven didn't want the help.

"I was struggling with her to get the baby from her," Arcizo said.
    "She wouldn't give him up. She kept pulling him from me and putting him under water." :smt009

[​IMG]

Once Arcizo got the baby to shore, Kirven began swimming around and taking off her clothes.

"She was acting crazy. It wasn't normal," Arcizo said. "She's in jail. That's where she needs to be, honestly."

Police have not determined a motive.

Jamie Williams, Grey's granddaughter, claimed Kirven was on drugs when she ran over the 70-year-old
    and drove into the water. "Those drugs have got her mind," Williams told the TV station.
    "If she was herself, she wouldn't have done it. Those drugs have her flipping out like that."

Kirven is being held on $160,000 bond.

----------
    Bless those 4 teens and especially hero Arcizo for struggling hard to save that baby's LIFE! :heart:

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Man saves child crawling near highway

A 15-month-old baby crawled through the woods, 300 yards from home, and nearly onto Highway 72.

[​IMG]

Oh wow, the interview with him is sooo emotional.
    He did 10 years in the Penitentiary, turned his life around, and his new way of life brought him to this moment..to be in the right place and right time to save this precious baby...

Beautiful story!
    <3

Video interview http://www.11alive.com/story/life/2014/06/16/madison-man-saves-child-highway/10638845/

20. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Good Samaritan Bends SUV Door to Pull Man From Burning Vehicle

[​IMG]

A Minnesota man didn't know he had Superman power until he bent the door of a burning SUV with his bare hands to rescue another motorist.

Bob Renning, 52, was driving with his girlfriend on a highway in New Brighton, Minnesota, when he looked in his rear-view mirror and noticed flames under a vehicle directly behind him. Michael Johannes, the driver of the 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, apparently didn't know his car was on fire, so Renning started to slow down in an attempt to get his attention.

Renning’s girlfriend rolled down her window to try to alert Johannes, too. But by then, Renning said it appeared that Johannes’ vehicle had stopped working and was pulled over to the freeway shoulder.

“The taillights started flashing without control, the brakes stopped working, the speed calculator went to zero, the electronics just got messed up.” Johannes recalled to ABC News.

And worst of all, the car doors were locked and the power windows rolled up. Johannes couldn't get them open.

Renning pulled over about 200 feet in front of Johannes. As his girlfriend dialed 911 and gave the police their location, Renning jumped out of his car and sprinted towards Johannes. When Renning got to the SUV, the heavy smoke has infiltrated the car and he couldn't see anyone inside. “It just happened all so fast. It was like a movie,” Renning said.

Renning then saw Johannes frantically pounding and kicking the passenger-side window. Renning pulled on the door multiple times, but the door wouldn't open. Acting on instinct and adrenaline, he gripped the door frame with his fingers, braced his foot against the door, and pulled. The door frame bent in half and the glass shattered.

Good Samaritan Shows Incredible Strength to Save M …Play VideoGood Samaritan Shows Incredible Strength to Save Man&nbsp;&hellip;
    “I was trying to hold my breath and not inhale any smoke,” Johannes said. “I was going to climb to the backseat and get a heavy-duty flashlight to break the window.”

As soon as Johannes heard the glass shatter, he climbed out the window with Renning's help. Johannes was a little stiff and bruised, and had some minor cuts from the shattered glass.

Renning, an Air Force first sergeant, said he had no idea how he was able to bend the door. He said he runs a few times a week, but is no bodybuilder. “I don’t spend money on the gyms,” Renning said.

“My mom teased me and said: ‘You were supposed to run away from the car, not run towards the car,’” Renning said. “But my grandkids were impressed with me. So that is enough.”

"It was a miracle. He was a husband, he was dad," Lisa Johannes told ABC News. "He was just telling himself: 'I had to get out of there the entire time.'"

Renning said the story is not about him, but about Johannes. "I had no idea what went through his mind at that time," Renning said.

"I just talked to him [Renning] yesterday and I will call him again later today," Johannes said. "He saved my life. I will be forever grateful."

https://gma.yahoo.com/good-samarita...n-burning-223643721--abc-news-topstories.html