Who's a hero? This guy.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ches, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Put his life on the line!

Off-Duty Cop Saves Driver From Burning Vehicle

[​IMG]

A ball of fire on one of California's busiest freeways turned a quiet Christmas into an unforgettable one.

Los Angeles Police Department Bomb Squad officer Don Thompson was on his way to work Wednesday when at around 2 p.m. he saw a car crash on Los Angeles' 405 freeway.

"I saw this car just veer into the retaining wall," Thompson said. "It went across all lanes, and it was on fire at that time."

Thompson ran to the car, now engulfed in flames, and found the driver of the car trapped inside and unconscious.

"I said to myself, 'I have to get him out of here,'" Thompson said. "All the while there was of all this fire. It was just really intense."

As other drivers captured the rescue on camera, Thompson, a 26-year veteran of the LAPD, dove into the car to try to unbuckle the driver and pull him from his seat.

After one failed attempt, Thompson went back into the burning car and pulled the 72-year-old driver from the car. Disoriented by the heat, Thompson was then helped by other Good Samaritans who had stopped their cars to help.

"I mean, this guy, he was incredible," witness Dru Gash said of Thompson. "He's like a superhero. He jumped in there. He opened the car door, reached in there and grabbed this guy out."

The driver, who was not identified, suffered only minor injuries. He was arrested for suspicion of driving under the influence.

Caught on camera

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

This has been all over the news here. Absolutely a hero, and I'm incredibly grateful he didn't get hurt. Always pisses me off when people drive under the influence...just another thing I have zero tolerance for I guess.

3. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

For those of you who struggle to support police, challenge your own honesty by asking yourself would he save you too...... I have every reason to suspect that the off duty officer would pull me too from that burning car.....and so, I applaud him for his courage, altruism and service to the public....

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Great going, young lad!

'He wouldn't give up': Hero boy follows hunch to save elderly woman

[​IMG]

Ten-year-old Danny DiPietro was on his way home from lacrosse practice with his dad on Saturday night when he thought he spotted a dog lying in the open garage of a condo complex near his home in Howell, Mich.

“It was really cold out and something didn’t seem right,” Danny told TODAY.com.

DiPietro’s parents assured him that no one would leave their dog out on such a frigid evening, but he couldn’t shake the feeling that something was wrong. After a bit of prodding, his mom, Dawn, agreed to investigate the garage for him.

“He wouldn’t give up,” Dawn, 44, told TODAY.com. “Thankfully, he was persistent.”

As Dawn walked up the driveway, she realized what Danny had seen was actually an elderly woman lying on the ground, waving her gloveless hands in the air for help.

The woman, 80-year-old Kathleen St. Onge, had been stuck in below-freezing temperatures for an hour and a half after slipping on a patch of ice in her garage. To make matters worse, she had lost her gloves and shoes in an attempt to scoot herself to the front of the garage, where she thought she would be spotted more easily. And a bitter wind was carrying snow inside.

“She said she had prayed to the Blessed Mother that someone would help her and find her,” St. Onge’s daughter Sandy St. Onge-Mitter told TODAY.com. “She knew she only had about an hour left. She thought she would be gone.”

Dawn immediately ran home and called 911. The DiPietros and a neighbor came back with blankets and chatted with St. Onge while she warmed up. When police arrived, she was rushed to a nearby hospital.

“I was amazed,” Danny said. “I just felt really good that she was okay.”

St. Onge was released on Wednesday afternoon after being treated for hypothermia and dehydration. Doctors told her family that she would not have survived an hour longer in the extreme cold.

“She’s grateful,” St. Onge-Mitter said. “She knows that if it wasn’t for Danny's persistency, she probably wouldn’t be here today. So he is a hero.”

St. Onge has yet to meet Danny in person, but her daughter says she “can’t wait.” The DiPietros had an opportunity to meet St. Onge-Mitter on Tuesday during an interview for local television.

“It was very emotional,” St. Onge-Mitter said. “Danny’s a remarkable boy, but his family should also be getting a lot of credit. They acted on his hunch. It was a family affair.”

The two families plan on staying in touch.

“We’ve made a life-long friend,” St. Onge-Mitter said.

5. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

^^^ ? God bless him!

6. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

^^^ Cosign Ches. His persistence helped save a life.

Bouncer fights off gunman

When Eric Wesson saw a man with a gun approaching the St. Paul bar where he works security, he tried to be disarming.

The bouncer at Johnny Baby’s tells the Pioneer Press he smiled at the man and offered some friendly words. When that didn’t work he used another method to disarm the gunman.

[​IMG]

Wesson protected more than 150 customers who were inside the bar by charging at the man to take his gun from him. In the struggle that followed two shots were fired. But no one was injured.

The gunman was later convicted, police tell the Pioneer Press. And on Wednesday Wesson received the Chief’s Award for Valor from Police Chief Thomas Smith.

According to the newspaper the chief told Wesson his actions were heroic, adding: “We don’t know what that suspect may have done if he was allowed inside of the bar. … You displayed a great amount of courage when you chose to disarm the suspect and protect the customers in the bar.”

7. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

the element of surprise worked in his favor...he didn't waste a second laying out that dude...now we know why the bouncers and bodyguards are always BIG men:D

8. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

LOL @ the woman security guard doing the 40 yard dash

9. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

:smt043

10. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

yep and i see quite a few men running to hide as well:cool:

11. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Amazing stuff! Wow, just wow. God Bless Eric Wesson!!!! :freehug: :smt060

When I see all those innocent people chilling, having a relaxed time, thinking how close they came to possibly being killed... to watch that punk-ass get his clock knocked the fuck out just made my day!! :)

LOL @ the while girl grabbing her purse first. That pocketbook was like her child. :smt036

12. Black DeNiro

Well said. If I was the owner of that bar, Wesson would be receiving a nice pay raise from me. Hell! That elbow-blast to the face alone would be worth it.

LOL That was one of the first things I noticed and she made sure she took her drink with her too.

13. Black DeNiro

:smt036

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

:smt043:smt043 I just relooked. OMFG! :smt005

15. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Yeah the other men didn't have security on their shirt so why would you expect them to do anything. Hypocrisy is always a funny thing lol.

Happy dude did his job, but I wouldn't call it heroic not like the kid who pulled the old lady out of a burning building.

16. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Taking on an armed person and saving lives with just your bare hands is heroic.

17. Black DeNiro

This^^. And I'm glad Police Chief Thomas Smith awarded this man for his heroic actions.

18. Black DeNiro

:mrgreen:

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Absolutely. And no question everyone in that bar called him a hero. Smart people know what's up and what would have went down had it not been for him. Man is a H-E-R-O!

Hello? OK!
    Damn, a man of few words just putting that hot air to bed. :smt025

20. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

How often do we call cops the same thing for doing their jobs?
    I find it far more heroic when a person has nothing to gain from it.