Who has the worst time - ww&bm or wm&bw?

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by maiseycat, Feb 21, 2007.

1. maiseycat

maiseycat New Member

Who do you think receives the most criticism from the public for their dating choices - black men/white women or black women/white men? I remember reading an article written by a black woman that said bw/wm pairings aren't seen as such a big deal to the public because she believes white men are only with black women as retaliation for black men taking white women from them. It's seen as more ok than bm/ww relationships because white men are in control in the bw/wm relationships. What do you think of this theory? Have you noticed if bw/wm deal with less prejudice then bm/ww? I've only seen one bw/wm couple in public, and this was in Columbus where IR pairings aren't really seen as a big deal. I haven't noticed any IR couples there getting :shock: or :? looks from passerbys. However, down here, we have a small black population and very little IR dating going on from what I've seen. I wonder how a wm/bw couple would fair in semi-backward areas like this, versus a bm/ww couple?

2. designer

designer New Member

In my observations it seems that black men with white women have the hardest times.
    Back in the 90's I had someone tell me that in her life she had other people of races other than black or white giving her hell for dating a black guy.

I don't know if black women with white guys get as much but just because I don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

I really do believe that of the two biggest IR pairing of black men/white women and white men/Asian women we [those black men and white women who are together] receive the most flak and white men and Asian women receive the least.
    HOWEVER, I think I'd be remiss if I did not say that it is the nature of our society to pressure ALL IR couplings.

But for some odd reason that pressure, which can be deadly at times, is not working.

3. maiseycat

maiseycat New Member

I really do believe that of the two biggest IR pairing of black men/white women and white men/Asian women we [those black men and white women who are together] receive the most flak and white men and Asian women receive the least.
    HOWEVER, I think I'd be remiss if I did not say that it is the nature of our society to pressure ALL IR couplings.

I never knew that so many Asian women were dating white men. Then again, there aren't too many Asians living in Ohio, so I wouldn't know. Most white men in my town are probably too racist to date outside their race, too. I would say those couplings would get heat from ww mainly. Or maybe Asian men. Who will the Asian men be with then - they seem to be very traditional, and I wouldn't expect many would be open to dating outside their race. Though I came across a dating site for Asian men and Latinas, believe it or not. I'm sorry, but talk about culture shock. :lol: I guess it would make sense in states like CA that have lots of Asians and Latinos.

4. Bryant

Bryant New Member

IMHO black men and white women have a much harder time than white men and black women.

5. Lexington

Lexington New Member

I don't know who'll win the Olympics on this one but nonblack men are approached more and drawn into physical altercations when dating black woman. Three football players from Oregon State University attacked a white solider home on leave for dancing with his black wife in a restaurant. And you know all three of them were probably dating white women. White families and friends of white men are equally racist towards black women as they'd be towards black men.

6. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

The BM/WW combo catches the most heat. No question.

7. Naenae

Naenae New Member

I have lived in MN almost my whole life and have always dated black men, and I have never once had any bad feedback or issues when I was out w/ a black man. Maybe its b/c everywhere you look you see IR relationships. Is there anyone else from MN that has had issues?

8. QSSassy

QSSassy New Member

I was from Northern Minnesota and there were no BM to date, so I am not sure if I would have had issues. I had to move to Cali to date BM.. but have had no problems here.

9. scott1618

scott1618 Active Member

definately any ir relationships with black men.

because

1.alot of people hate black men

2.alot of people are jealous of black man

3.alot of people have negative stereotypes about black man

4.alot of famous black men on your tv

so drama/criticism is going to be more likely to follow with a ww/bm relationship.

10. AquaPeach

AquaPeach New Member

I agree that BM/WW relationships receive the most heat. Even in todays "enlightened" society, women are still seen as vulnerable. So if a BM is dating a WW, then he must be taking advantage of her. :roll: Although I did know this BM who thought it was okay for BM to date WW exactly for that reason, but it was not okay for BW to date WM because no white man should lay his hands on a black woman.

11. maiseycat

maiseycat New Member

I don't know about MN, but I've heard their state capital is really diverse, and the upper midwest has a reputation for being more liberal and open-minded on the whole than the rest of the midwest. Columbus (OH) seems to be a good city of IR couples, too, though. Like you said about MN, I saw a lot of IR couples around when I was living in Cbus. I was out with a black man for the first time there yesterday. We didn't experience any negative feedback except this black girl we passed I noticed was really giving me a look over. I don't like to give much eye contact w/people in public so I didn't give her and the guy she was with more than a glance, but I could just feel her eyes on me.

On this note, who do you think, or who in your experiences give bm/ww couples the most heat: wm, bw, other bm, ww, or other?

12. designer

designer New Member

In public - I think black women seem to be giving the most heat but it just looks that way.

In reality - I think white men more than any other, give the most heat when black men and white women come together.

13. kinkygal

kinkygal New Member

Try having 2 mixed race kids. Get it from both sides... the looks of disgust from all races including asian and all different generations. Generally it doesnt happen too often but I am well aware when it does.

14. Lexington

Lexington New Member

I noticed with no one has mentioned heat from ww upon encountering bw/wm. They make their disgust known too and so do bm...even those who are dating ww.

15. kinkygal

kinkygal New Member

Ahh but the ww are just wondering what they're missing out on!!!!

16. LaydeezmanCris

LaydeezmanCris New Member

I think it's clear what my answer is.

17. designer

designer New Member

Don't leave us hanging like that.

Give us your 2 cents.

I really think black women have been made to look like they have the biggest problem with BM/WM but I think WM - some in public but most behind closed doors - have the biggest issues with it.

Sure you'll always find people of all types who have problems with any IR mix but the biggest group would be white guys, IMO.
    [​IMG]

18. Ellahara

Ellahara New Member

Bm/ww of course, because there's a wider range of people who dislike it.

1. White men don't like it, and these guys wield the most power.

2. Thus consequently the media hates it too.

3. White women generally don't care too much about bw/ww (although there are some of course) because they are the most accessible and praised women in American society (and English). Generally, ww dont have many problems getting a date with a guy of any race. And I for one have never heard a white woman complaining about a black woman with a white guy.

4. Many black women have a problem with it.

5. Hell, many black men I've come across have a problem with it too.

6. Negative stereotypes on both sides i.e. black men = sellouts, white women = skanks.

19. Bryant

Bryant New Member

That one really gets on my nerves. :roll:

20. OmahaBoy2003

OmahaBoy2003 New Member

Can't speak for black women but as far as myself goes I've had some very crazy stares from people when I would be out with the various white female friends or lovers that I've hung out with in the past. One time I was with a friend in her hometown at a Pizza Hut and this older couple walked in and they stared at us the entire time we were there.