White Teen girl fundraises 10K after parents disown her cause she has black boyfriend

Discussion in 'In the News' started by ColiBreh1, Jan 13, 2017.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teen-fundraises-cut-black-boyfriend-article-1.2945070

Link to the GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/put-allie-in-college-fight-racism

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  3. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Damn shame when shit like this happens

4. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Darn shame

5. K

K Well-Known Member

People really blow my mind.

6. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Those commenters seem to be just racist as well. Without her parents help how is she privilege or spoiled? Like my mom used to
    tell my brother "This is my house and my money." And by the father's comments it is OBVIOUSLY about race. Remember they decided
    to NO LONGER help her... which means they were helping her before they found out about her dating a black guy.

7. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

8. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

How the hell do you raise hell about white privilege then finance it?

[​IMG]

9. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

That's life in some families. Be a big girl, live the life you feel is right and pay your own way. Why on earth people are donating money to an able-bodied young person, who could get a job AND go to school like many of us have done or currently do, but chooses not to, is beyond me. Suck it up buttercup.

This quote from the story is my sentiments summed up...

"In fact, expecting to avoid work, student loans, etc. and be treated like a hero for dating a black guy seems pretty racist to me.”

10. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Yeah it sucks that it happened, but for her to say she can't get a job at 18 is just some bullshit. I can donate my money to someone who needs it more.

11. The Dark King

How is this white privilege?

12. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

She needs to grow the hell up. Mommy and Daddy not paying for college is NOT the same as being disowned.

Yes, it's shitty if her boyfriend's race is the reason behind it, but the reality is it's not like they owe it to her to pay for her schooling. She needs to do what grown folks do and get off her butt and start taking care of her own business, which should NOT include hitting people up for donations to avoid taking responsibility for herself.

It annoys me that she's making her situation out to be some serious case of racial injustice when what she's actually doing is using the race factor herself to get something she evidently feels she's entitled to with her disingenuous ass. Crap like this is a mockery and a slap in the face to those who've actually suffered and still suffer true racial injustice.

If people want to donate money to a worth cause, this is NOT it.

13. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

I'll reserve my thoughts in this one. This sounds fishy.

white privilege at it's best is at play here.

14. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

18 is grown, her parents don't owe her shit. Let a couple minorities try this and I bet theyll barely clear $1000 nor media coverage.

15. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

It would be nothing but single parent and welfare jokes of a black person pulled this.

16. The Dark King

Here's my thing I support people willing to suffer through some racism to stand up for their principles and I was understanding that the money was for both of them.
    And if you guys think 18 is grown I feel bad for you because at 18 almost no one is ready to weather this harsh ass world

17. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Grown enough to do what needs to be done. It doesn't matter of you're trying to find yourself or this other coming of age stuff. Everyone goes through that. She can get a regular job like many college kids her age or join the military. I can't get over the "I can't get a job" part because assuming there is some unmentioned condition that prevents her from working most jobs and available jobs, it's a straight up lie. She does not want to work because she thinks it will be too hard.

I will support her as far as her relationship, nothing more.

18. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from, but I'd want to know that she's also doing her part. Sucks that her parents cut her off, but in my mind... It's great to actually have parents who are in the position to pay for college. I often think how I would've loved having that head start in life of having parents who could afford to pay for my college education. Thankfully, I had a couple of small scholarships and went to a CUNY school, but I also took out loans. In the article we're hearing two sides, but I'm leaning toward her side. However, I'm still hoping that she's not feeling entitled to having college paid for by her parents. I do commend her for standing up for herself in regards to her boyfriend.

19. Tsharp99

Tsharp99 Active Member

He's just trying to cover his racist ass with some bullshit story

20. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Yes, the boyfriend part is very unfortunate especially if it is indeed about race. Setting up a GoFundMe account for this purpose is a bit disturbing to me for this reason. I think we'd all agree that college is important, but I'd want to know that she's also using other resources such as student loans and/or plans to work p/t during college. Assuming she'll start college this fall.... I'd hope that she'll be looking to work this summer to save some $$$ as well. I'm all for helping a person, but I need to see that they're also doing what they can (or at least willing to do their part).