When IR was hard

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by Satchmo, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Word.
    It was really tough back then

3. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Now this is a nice find, I'll listen too the rest of it later when I have more time.

a BM being with a WW is one thing, but a BM being with a WW who already has a white child is salt in the wounds of their racist observers. This was in the sixties too so you know it was all bad

4. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Yeah this story really hit home for me cause I spent a decade removing kids from their parents and sometimes, with adolescent boys especially, to a group home or institution. Obviously never took a kid for race reasons, but have definitely told moms "it's the boyfriend or the kid." Nine times out of ten the mom chose the guy. There was no win in that job.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

you love sausages.196]Yeah this story really hit home for me cause I spent a decade removing kids from their parents and sometimes, with adolescent boys especially, to a group home or institution. Obviously never took a kid for race reasons, but have definitely told moms "it's the boyfriend or the kid." Nine times out of ten the mom chose the guy. There was no win in that job.[/QUOTE]
    wow

6. KWillo

KWillo Active Member

That's because interracial marriage was outlawed for roughly 400 years.Alabama was the last state to lift the ban on interracial marriage in the year 2000.

7. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Wow 2000!

8. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

And it wasn't exactly a landslide victory, either.

9. Addolorata

Addolorata Active Member

Old traditions and views die very very hard.

10. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

That's funny coming from you.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Why

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Because my parents are a product of the 40's and 50's and I was born in the 60's. You say you understand that IR was hard back then, but you couldn't understand why women of my generation who, even if we had opportunity to date BM (I didn't) would still be subjected to the thoughts and views of parents from a very prejudiced generation. Making it very difficult to step away from what was acceptable (and expected) to something that was still, in the 70's, largely unacceptable.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about whether I would've had the courage to date IR if I'd had more opportunity to meet black guys. I definitely believe the attraction was there, and being a bit of a rebel, I probably would've dated IR at college if I hadn't already been in a serious relationship with someone back home. But I'd been conditioned to not even consider bringing a black guy home (Gasp! "What would the neighbors, church folk, family, PTO think?") Marrying outside my race was unacceptable and unthinkable even in the 70's. And living in an almost entirely white world, it was hard to do anything but marry white. That's the reality for many women of my generation.

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Such a joke. lol

14. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  16. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

There are many church folk who aren't true Christians although they call themselves that. And there are many church folk, including pastors, who believe that the Bible actually supports racism because they misinterpret scripture, whether intentionally or not.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Those "church folk" are lower than dirt. I know plenty of Christians that will have nothing to do with "church folk" because they are simply hypocritical liars.

18. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

This is true, especially in the south. Bob Jones University is a prime example of this. They've since changed their policies but until 2000(!) or so they expressly prohibited interracial dating on "religious" grounds. And the less said about Mormons and the Mark of Cain, the better.

19. RestlessRita

RestlessRita Well-Known Member

That is truly unbelievable!!

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yet Florida supposed to be soo racist.