What you drinking thread

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by 4north1side2, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

You sound like a professional taster!!! Lol. I can slightly taste what you describe in drinks but it all runs together. Haha

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Let me add this

Don't ever waste your money on Johnny Walker Blue label don't do it! If you want to try it I suggest purchasing a gift set that will allow you to have a small sample bottle of it along with some of the other whiskies in the product line.

Just to put things in perspective, when me and some friends had a whiskey tasting in Virgina we all agreed that blue label was only worth about 80 bucks a bottle. Its a total rip off considering people spend 200. lol

3. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Note taken. I wanted to add it to the stock. I'm glad you chimed in!!

4. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to go with Apple crown today. Need to stock up my liquor cabinet, and I'm not a brown girl but my son said this one is yummy so!

5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

6. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

No Douro handy, but I do have this...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. stiletoes

stiletoes Well-Known Member

Vodka and peach ice tea

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

So I decided to pick up a bottle of Blantons. But only three stores in the state currently have some on stock. I had to call a store across town and tell them to hold a bottle for me. :-o

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Damn I should have bought two bottles of that.

10. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

How was it?

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I found it to be delightful. Really smooth with distinguished flavor. I'm gonna keep some of it from now on especially since it's become a bit scarce. I'll be picking up another bottle when I get a chance to skate across town again.

Damn good find! I knew about it but still shocked that it was never mentioned to me before. Therefore I'm late in discovering how pleasant it is, still better late than not at all.

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

13. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Good deal!
    I'll have to see if I can find me some around these parts.

14. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

No doubt ranks with the illusive Pappy Van Winkle.

15. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

What's the difference in the Blue, red, black and green labels?

16. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Never mind. I googled it.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Black is worth a try. It's ok and it will help you get acclimated with the taste of peat smoke. Forget red, its garbage. Green is a rare blend. Most blends have grains other than malted barley, but green is 100% malted barley, so it's basically a combination of single malts. Don't expect any other blend to be anything like that. They are not. Gold is not worth the money anymore in part because they dropped the age statement. Age statements are more important with Scotch than with Bourbon because bourbon matures faster due to the hotter climate of Kentucky. Not saying an age statement should always be a requirement in your selection of Scotch, but it should always be considered. Platinum is good but for the price you can get better Scotch. Blue is mostly malted barley but it's still a blend of other grains. It's good but it's not 200 whiskey. All the whiskies that are worth 200 have age statements, they are also single malts that come from reputable distilleries. You can't say the same for blue. It's good but a real whiskey drinker can tell that it's not worth 200. The guy that buys blue just doesn't know any better or he is simply trying to impress people.

Examples of 200 dollar whiskey:

Macallan 18 year
    Balvenie 21 year (portwood)
    Talisker 18 year
    Highland Park 18 year (sells for about 130 but worth 200 I wonder for how long)

I wouldn't advise you to drop 200 on any whiskey until you really discover what you like. These are some qualities of taste to look for. Just a few examples:

Peat smoke
    Heather
    Hint of Sherry (wine) (from the barrels)
    Hint of Port (wine) (from the barrels)
    Caramel
    Butterscotch
    Citrus
    Cereal
    Oak
    Hint of Bourbon (from the barrels)
    Cinnamon

One the Islay side
    Peat smoke
    Earth
    Leather
    sea salt
    sea weed
    medicinal

Don't forget to get used to nosing your whiskey. The nose can tell you a lot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

It's all good. I like talking about whisky

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I really like this one but it's not sold in the US

[​IMG]

20. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

where's it sold?