What is your worst experience with racism, sexism, or whatevercism?

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by 4north1side2, Oct 13, 2011.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Sir and Snow props on being the better person.

I feel like white people ain't showing me love like they used to lately or maybe I'm finally realizing everything ain't peaches n cream which gave me a sad reminder.

This white kid Andrew I grew up was like a best friend. All I ever saw in him was a highly intelligent genuis, I put this dude on a pedestal for real. Well we grew our seperate ways naturally but kept in touch with each once in a while.

So check it, one day I see him on the bus, we start chopping it up and he drops a bomb on me out of where "You know what, I agree with racsim because I'm in school doing a double major, working a job with no health insurance while black people get to have everything handed to them for nothing because of affirmative action."

I was stunned! I could not believe this guy who I deemed so intelligent would let such a dumbass statement escape his lips. I didn't argue, debate, or tell him off, just cut his miserable ass off.

2. Nikkers

Nikkers Well-Known Member

Here's an "ism" not many people have probably heard of.

Audism.

Worst experience? Having to take a non-verbal IQ test in my second last year of high school. Because I also had speech therapy, I CHOOSE to have english tested as well. In the report from the man that lead the team in testing all of us deaf kids was the exact quote, "because of Nicole's strong oral skills, and limited use of sign language, she does not belong in the Newfoundland School for the Deaf".

I got these results at the beginning of my last year in high school, and a bunch of other shit happened as well:

- The government people responsible for operating the deaf school forced me out into a regular school, instead of leaving me at the Deaf school I wanted to stay at.
    - Coerced into taking PHYSICS with real time captioning instead of an interpreter (sure, try learning anything when the quality of captioning depended on a wonky wireless internet connection... You can't learn math in only english, need the formulas too!).
    - Had to walk home from school in a snowstorm, because they wanted us deaf kids to teach others sign language... after the ASL Club was finished for the day, there was no way for me to get home (after I've been promised that the school would arrange something).
    - Been refused an interpreter for a class because the person responsible for setting up interpreters said that since the class is so hands-on, the information isn't as important, I could lipread fine and talk for myself. Dropped the class later when I realized I didn't even need it to finish high school.

This was the worst 'single' display of audism I've seen/experienced... (that is saying a lot, since I was picked on a lot as a kid and went home crying every day before I transferred to the school for the deaf). I graduated from the school for the deaf in 2008. In 2010, the government announced it's closure on the radio. For something that impacted so many deaf people, way to exclude them... audist fucks :p

I showed them though. Gave the government hell for screwing up deaf education in Newfoundland. Joined several committees, wrote lots of newspaper articles/was interviewed and whatever. This is still a work in progress, as nothing changes quickly (especially with limited political support). I'm flying back to Canada this weekend for a conference.
    AND, instead of going to a hearing university after graduating high school I came here to Gallaudet. I haven't used my voice since August and for someone with such "limited use of sign language", I sure seem to do it a lot ;) :lol:

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Damn. I had no clue shit was so fucked up. I guess we don't think about since we don't have to deal with it. My parents actually live really close to the school for the deaf that Helen Keller went to. I wonder if they need volunteers.

4. Nikkers

Yeah, things are pretty fucked up... but they'll eventually get better. Just sad that the school closed at home... don't want other kids having to go through what I did especially now that I know there's an extreme lack of services (for someone as deaf as I am, it can be a 2 year wait to get services for hearing aids...). I never would've finished high school if I couldn't have gone to the school for the deaf... stupid government :p

They tried to shut me up, but that's never gonna work :lol:

The school near your parents might want/need volunteers, never know :).

5. nocturnalmission

nocturnalmission New Member

First and foremost, damn Gurl! I admire your persistence in defining what you needed! I admire your resolve! And (no insult intended) I admire your voice!

As I sat feeling rather sorry for myself, reading your thread gave me inspiration and the recharge I needed to retake control of my life and make a difference.

Thanks for sharing and shedding light on what real courage is...:smt023

6. Nikkers

Thanks =)
    Just doing what I "have" to do :)

7. Nikkers

I'm finally through customs and all that fun.

My mom is the one that books my tickets and the first time booking, she told them I was deaf. So, even though I think it's pointless to have that information in their system (and printed on my tickets), they will not take it off now.

Went to check in and the worker took FOREVER. Writing all kinds of things in her log, printed my ticket again and whatever.
    Tried to lead me all the way through the airport, through customs, etc, etc. I told her no, I was fine on my own. She said, "at least let me get started".

I pulled out my passport again, and showed her stamps from every christmas and summer break since August 2008... Something tells me they're gonna take that "deaf" remark off their system for me soon :lol:

I've ben given BRAILLE emergency procedure books before and have been met with wheelchairs... people amuse me. :D

8. Ymra

Ymra New Member

I honestly can't think of any.

9. Ymra

Ymra New Member

P.OL. or it didn't happen.

10. FG

FG Well-Known Member

What would you think of me if I said the exact same thing about bm .... nevertheless ON A WWBM forum??!!!

Why are you here?

11. Ymra

Ymra New Member

I'm here cuz I would love to see you in a cute set of heels and a lil bittly black evening dress.

12. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Excellent questions, FG.

Evidently he's here to tell the WW members how much disgust & disdain he has for us. :smt102

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Im sure he come in peace. LOL

what a jerk

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

we need a ww to kiss you to see you curl up and go away

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

[​IMG]

I will love you all night long baby

16. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Me too! Its been a while - give me a reason to ;-)

He has been on here for eons.. it makes no sense.

17. AfroLove

AfroLove Restricted

I wouldn't be offended. Is it insulting to White women to say that the idea of being with one is demoralizing because I have a negative conditioned response to them? After all, I'm not denying that there are attractive, kind-hearted White women. A woman who's raped by red haired men might come to associate red haired men with her experience even if she doesn't dislike all individual red haired men, stereotyping is a survival mechanism.

It amuses me to be here.

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

all webbie did was remove the post. why dont he ban the dude

19. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

This is retardedness of all different levels. It's like a vegetarian going to a barbeque and saying "eating meat makes me sick". Well if it does why the fuck are you here?

20. Inner Beauty

Inner Beauty New Member

As a Vegetarian, I, Inner Beauty, approve this message.