What is your worst experience with racism, sexism, or whatevercism?

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by 4north1side2, Oct 13, 2011.

1. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

I only ask because my white co-worker was surprised that I couldn't relate to other black men when it came to racism which leads to ask others of this "cism" they've experienced.

Me nothing major or dramatic.

This brand new hotel opened up the street from the hotel I was currently working. Bored at work I decided to waltz on in their to check out. Well their was two front desk agents, one white and the other black, I walk in giving them direct eye contact so we can exchange pleasantries but neither of these assholes said anything.

So I'm ok, I'll give them another chance because they were speaking with 2 other guys but they didn't look like guests. I walk around a few more minutes observing the place than finally look at the guys still did not acknowledge me. I grow irritated and say to them HELLO! is this how you treat all of your potential guests!? I give you guys more than enough times to redeem yourselves but you fail each and everytime, I have never in my life been treated this way at a hotel.

Long story short lame ass fuckers all tripping over their words "oh well we nodded our heads when you came in"

I go back to my job and the black fucker going call down my hotel with a warning that a "homeless crazy black man" is making his way down to your hotel just to give you a heads up.

Actually I experience classcism more than anything on a monthly basis.

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

The cracks on this board about thick women and the guys who like them is the worst
    whatever-ism I've experienced. And it's particularly sad because no one has met or even seen anything but a thumbnail of me.

3. LillyBeth

LillyBeth New Member

At school, a year or two before I left, I saw the careers adviser. I said I wanted to be a farrier, to which he replied, “Oh no, that’s a man’s job, how about being a secretary or a nurse”! :mad: Hmmm, no thanks!

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

If that's the worst ism you've ever experienced then you have it exceptionally good my friend.

5. Espy

Espy New Member

I think it's a matter of perception. If something offends you then it tends to get formally identified and labeled. Very little offends me, though I run across a lot that just gets classified under the blanket heading of ignorance/stupidity. I suspect I've experienced a fair amount of what others would term sexism, but I cannot recall having ever experienced racism.

I had a car salesman hand me five bucks, wink and say "you and the kiddos can go next door for ice cream while I work out a deal on that SUV with the man who handles the money". To which I replied "my husband will be taking the 'kiddos' next door for ice cream while you attempt to work out a deal on that SUV with the woman who makes the money... and I assure you that the ignorance of that remark is going to handicap you in the negotiations." I ended up getting a really good deal on the car.

I also had a doctor ask me during a job interview how many children I had and if I intended to have more, as they preferred someone stable and dependable that wouldn't need to be taking time off for maternity leave.

I don't consider either comment sexist, I just consider them ignorant, or indicative of someone who doesn't know how to express themselves well. You'd be surprised how many people lack appropriate communication skills. The doctor hired me and I worked for that practice for 8 years. He wasn't what I'd consider sexist, but he was a bit blunt and lacked that filter in his brain that allowed him to edit his speech appropriately for his intended audience.

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

You're right, DK. But quite frankly, this is one of the LAST places I would expect to experience it.

7. The Dark King

You expected the men to worship whiteness in any female form?
    interesting

8. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Worship? No. Respect? Yes. I don't want to be discriminated against any more than you do. Racial discrimination is not tolerated on this board, so why is discrimination based on age or weight acceptable?

As the saying goes, "There's someone for everyone."

9. The Dark King

Don't be over dramatic Ches. There are plenty of older overweight women who are adored on this forum. I don't know what happened in that thread but people don't discriminate based on age or weight.

10. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Really? Name one.

You asked a question and I answered. Thats not being overdramatic. And there has been numerous posts on different threads where the message was plain that it's not "normal" to be attracted to larger women.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  11. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

Some people lack empathy for other people. They think the only wrongs of the world are the ones committed against them. It takes a big person to care about and for others and not just only yourself.

Chesy I am very sorry you have felt less than a warm welcome here.

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jordan. There have been enough nice people I have interacted with who make up for the ones that have been less than welcoming. I also have to remind myself that the people who are less tolerant are also a good bit younger than me. As you get older, you realize that size, shape, fitness level - the outward appearance - is less important than other qualities. What I wanted 20 years ago is vastly different than what I want now.

13. 4north1side2

ME Chesycakes! I absolutely adore you. I'm still going to take you out for happy hour, just been busy lately with work as of late.

Since you are a business woman you should start a business where people hire you to write belittling letters. You are such a precisonist with words, I love it.

Go for it!

Classism

I remember getting off of work and immediately browsing around in Saks and 5th Ave and it took a total of 8 minutes (which is an eternity in the shopping world) for an associate to offer me assistance. Completely unacceptable and I know for a fact it was due to the way I was dressed, while everyone else dressed to the 9's in their luxe designer clothing had associates basically joined to the hip. Haven't shopped there since!

14. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Lol, North! (And your wife is good with that, right? :p)

You missed your opportunity - I was in your city a couple of weekends ago...had my eyes peeled for ya! :smt103

15. 4north1side2

:( You should of spoke up, I'm saying least give me a hint or something.

16. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

17. KingAesop

KingAesop Active Member

I experienced an incident while shopping at the Versace store in my city some years back. I was shopping for my mother's birthday. At the time, she liked the Versace Red Jeans perfume. I had a pocket full of money. I walked into the store and no more than five seconds later I had a store employee following me watching my every move. Everytime I reached for an item he would blurt the price out to me. I wasn't even looking for the price of anything! He was secretly trying to imply that I couldn't afford any of the stuff in the store. When I got to the register, I made it a point to pull most of my money out of my pocket in front of his face. I had another salesman assist me and I gave this salesman the commision from my sale. The first salesman sat back and looked stupid while this was going on. I walked out of the store and never came back again.

18. Blackprince808

Blackprince808 New Member

Back in 2008. I went to a club I been to many times. When I walked up the steps I saw a new doorman their. I didn't think anything of him. When I walked up to the doorman. He was a white guy taller then me and kind of bigger then me.

He told me my pants were too baggy. My pants were kind of baggy but not that much. So... I told him I been this club before many times no one had a problem with my pants. He began to get nervous and tell me I couldn't come in. I realized he was saying this shit because I was black. So I wasn't going to fight him or anything, so I just started walking away. Another doorman who seen me come in their before. Told him to let me in. So I got in that night.

Around 2:00am. When I was walking out the club the same doorman who was being racist looked at me and told me "Have a nice night". I said "yeah..... thanks."

I seen this behavior happen earlier this year when I went to a new club I never been into a guy told me my pants were baggy. But thanks to me talking like an educated black man. He ended up letting me in.

19. SirNice

SirNice New Member

Well growing up as a kid, crackers in their big 4 wheel drives would call us niggers as they rode by....would throw beer at us out the window....mind you these would be grown men and we are like preteens or early teens....they stop doing that shyt when we got older bc they think we are all gang bangers and would place two hollow points in their heads....I was even chase by three trucks once when I was 13

20. SexySnow972

SexySnow972 New Member

My step father used to try to stop me from going out with black guys.. he'd make me stay home, take away my cell phone, watch every thing I did and every move I made, call my company all kinds of names, said my babies that I'd have one day would be bastards, call me n... lover, etc.

Our relationship was intolerably strained until I moved out when I was 19, and he's come to accept the fact that I love black men and that's not ever going to change ...

And when I used to live in Alabama people would make random and rude remarks if they saw me in an interracial relationship...

But that's it, I think.. People take it pretty well where I'm at now and where I was raised.