What Can Happen When You #AirbnbWhileBlack

Discussion in 'In the News' started by nobledruali, May 9, 2016.

1. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

The entire history of Europe is dominated by White-on-White 'crime',(nations at war with one another), so to suggest they would treat non-Whites better than their neighbors who look just like them is wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]
    I have heard several non white people say this too.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Again you are inferring a lot of shit I never said. I never said they treat non whites better than whites I am saying that blacks are treated better there than here. Not specifically because they're black but because they aren't cavemen the same way we are here. Religious nonsense doesn't change the educational landscape the way it does in here in states like Texas. They don't have school to prison pipelines focused on giving black kids poor educations. They don't have an incarceration business model akin to Jim Crow in order to poor and black men in particular down for life. They don't have an open murder policy where police can kill you on sight with no oversight.
    Does that not sound better to you?

3. AlineFR

AlineFR New Member

Yeap it's definetely not the same thing. There are problems with middle-eastern people in Europe because some tend to strongly reject western civilization, idealize/prefer the countries where their parents/ancestors came from while spitting on the countries where they currently live.
    There is not this problem with blacks which will rarely if never refers themselves to any African country. Nobody cares about blacks in Europe and that's positive, it means they are easily and fully integretated. Blacks tend to be poorer yes but there is no racial tensions between them and whites.

This has fundumentally nothing in common with the historical and ambiant racism against blacks in the US.

4. The Dark King

Exactly my thoughts
    Thank you

5. AlineFR

AlineFR New Member

I should have rather said "northen africans" instead of "middle-eastern people" because they are much more present in Europe, but you got it, I was talking about arabic people.

6. Tina8886

Tina8886 New Member

yes exactly ...and talking about my country (italy) pratically we have only first or max second generation of immigrants living in here so they're usually not rich cause of that . People generally notices if an immigrant is well integrated in our society or want / try to live with the same culture of his homeland . :)

7. AlineFR

AlineFR New Member

To all African-American dudes her. Yes it's not a positive thing to be black in Europe and yes blacks don't take any benefits or advantages of being black. But it's not negatively seen and it's also not a "handicap" (socially or professionnally). To say things clearly : people don't care -litterally- about blacks. You are litterally ignored, because your presence is normal and fully accepted in any situation or in any place.
    Im not saying this is the case for every European countries, maybe in eastern Europe that's not the case, but for western Europe that's definetely the situation.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

France is great because it's FRANCE. Good, bad or indifferent.
    (As is the case with any European country.)

I just take issue with an American BM believing it's 'far better' in Europe for a BM than it is in the U.S.

Culturally it's different, but that doesn't equate to being an overall better experience in terms of race relations.

9. Gemini74

Gemini74 Well-Known Member

i know you are from france and i m from germany, and 15- 20 years i would have fullhearted disagreed in the bolded part. my partners faced a lot of racism here in germany and so did we. it was open, it was haphazard and without any doubt racial orientated offenses in the offices, by the police, on the streets, in the airports. for a few years it seemed to get better and i thought it had changed, but it didnt. in the last years it tends to get worser and worser again and with the mentioned increase of ppl of arab heritage it starts to become a more anti-foreigner kind of attitude all over. if you look at the latest vote results in germany, you can see an increasing votage for a party called AFD. they call themselves "conservative" but are actually very rightwinged and not to be underestimated. in my eyes they are nazis wearing suits.
    if things are still more chilled in france i m happy about it.

10. Gemini74

i find it difficult in general to compare the states with europe. the states have one president, one government, even if laws vary from state to state. this one country has the size of a continent.
    europe is a continent, but tho there is something like the european parlament there is not something like a united government really. it s all independent states with their own governments, history and mentality.
    so if anyone wants to make compares it would have to be between US-France, US-Germany, and so on.
    and i think there is other reasons why you cant compare when it comes to.. let me call it "equality" of racism.
    there is definetly something you dont have to fear as a result of racism here in our areacodes as much as in the states.
    the probability of getting shot here is towards zero. but that s just simple because not every idiot is allowed to carry a gun and not coz we are so cool peeps.
    so you are very right andreboba saying that this can not be discussed on a US-Europe level, simply coz its not comparable.

11. AlineFR

AlineFR New Member

France had and has important cultural, political and economical links with Africa. Plus we have the Guadeloupe and The Martinique islands which are almost only inhabited by people with African origins.
    It's a sociological background totally different from Germany, indeed, for example blacks are over-representated in the French Army, this is not something insignificant...
    But I didnt think the situation was so "harsh" in Germany.

12. Gemini74

it was and it still is, but many ppl wont notice if they are not involved. like in earlier posts said, if it s not part of your life it s not necessarily targeting you. but there were plenty things that happened in public and the most sad part about it was that germans did what they been doing for decades- look away.

13. AlineFR

AlineFR New Member

Im sincerely for you. I hope all this shit didnt affect you and your partners too much.

14. The Dark King

But is it not better to be treated like a regular citizen than outcast especially in a country where you were raised and lived in all your life. What exact metric do you need to see to concede to things being better?

15. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

You're not being honest.
    I live in Virginia and rarely deal with racism in my day to day life, in fact I'd struggle to think of the last time I was confronted with overt racism.

I would bet the same holds true for you and most Black members on this board.

Don't give me this shit that you're treated like an outcast in America every time you get up in the morning.

TDK you are so melodramatic.lol

Yes there are racial injustices happening in the U.S. constantly, but you shouldn't take examples of institutional racism in our criminal justice system or the historical legacy racism in this country and use that as a precedence that it's 'way better' somewhere else.
    The most overt racist crap I ever have to deal with usually is getting too much attention at times from sales attendants at some department stores.

And even that's rare.

This is coming from someone who lives in a former Confederate state.

To say that European Whites are more accepting of Blacks because they didn't have slavery(at home but they did in their colonies) doesn't make sense.

You're projecting your own expectations on other people's thoughts about you, as if they MUST like you better in Europe because they never had Black slaves.

Ask a BM what it's like living in Eastern Europe and dating WW.

Put it this way, I've never had someone threaten to kick my ass and assault my woman, or ever really felt my life was in danger when I was out in public in an IR relationship.

But hey if that's what you choose to believe that Europe is a 'way better' place overall to live for Blacks, you hold onto that.

But to me it's just the same shit, different day.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  16. The Dark King

And this is the problem you and I always have your complete lack of empathy
    You're right I don't deal with racist shot day to day but it doesn't stop be from seeing it happen to othets. The world isn't just me and my experiences I look at the lives of others especially those of us treated the worst and when I see how poor and black people are treated in the US opposed to much of Europe and Canada there is a difference. At bare minimum their kids are educated and aren't murdered in the streets by cops while the populous cheers it on.
    And of course not having slavery or codified law demanding you treat people differently shapes how a country interacts with certain people. How can you not see this.
    Again using the middle east as an example the laws they have and their history of how they treat women definitely creates a different experience for women there opposed to here no?

17. sarah23

The history of black people in Europe is very different from that of USA. There is not the history of slavery.
    In Europe, immigrants are coming from former colonies - both African and Arab countries. There are , as Aline said earlier, strong cultural, political and economic links between Europe and its former colonies. Many immigrants have succeeded in their life and are respected.
    I think racism in France ( I will not comment about other EU countries ) is not centred on your colour but around the idea of being muslim.
    And this is pointing against the Arab population. Even though many blacks here may also be muslim, it is not an issue.
    Of course there is racism. Even against other Europeans like the Roma people, but I honestly think that there is more integration here between whites and other groups. You can see it in streets.

18. AlineFR

AlineFR New Member

You can't really say that muslims are massively victims of "racism". In racism there is always a victim, from my point of view.

It's more like a kind of tacit segregation with no real victims, simply people rejecting each others because of cultural differences.

19. sarah23

In France and elsewhere muslims are definitely victims of discrimination.
    Arabs are victims of racism.

20. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That is so true G. I hope a brother or sister who is livin large could sue Airbnb for a lot of money.