Wait why can't we have free college?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by The Dark King, Jan 22, 2017.

1. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Vouchers are typical of how con-servatives think. They reward kids with motivated parents while leaving the rest behind. It ends up being survival of the fittest.

Let me explain; Kenny's mom is low income but sge will do whatever it takes to make sure her son gets into a charter school.

Danny's mom doesn't care that much. She's not jumpin through no hoops when he can just go to the school he's been going to. The one with the depleated resources because the motivated parents take their children and tbe money that goes with them, to the charter schools.

Not only that, but if you think a good quality school is going to embrace a slew of low income kids, you have another thought coming. Espessiacially if that school is in the lilly white burbs. They will find some way stop it or at least, thin the numbers down.

There's a better way to do it but no one wants ti spend the money.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

If you gain control of the biggest economy biggest military power in the history of humanity what do you call that?
    And I'm not saying liberals did it alone but I live in NY a liberal hub and count myself as a liberal and I can see why we lost. We ignored the Midwest in the South we ignored areas that had gone to Obama and lost miserably. We ran a flawed candidate despite what the polls really said. We can blame this on bigotry all we want but that's a formula for failure. People were sick to their core of voting in establishment people who bow down to wall at.
    Maybe not in our areas but listen to the people who are hurting they just couldn't stomach it and we saw that he took advantage of their pain. The liberals completely ignored them. I didn't here her once talk about jobs lost in the Midwest but she hammered on equal pay for equal work. That message didn't hit the people it only focused on a few.

3. The Dark King

Well you know that's how economics works survival of the fittest smh

4. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I don't see it as "hurting Americans" supporting trump as the better candidate. I think he got votes by speaking to the hate in people's hearts (for people of color, for homosexuals, for us measley women-folk, etc). He stood on camera in front of millions of people and did what no one had ever done... he made fun of the disabled, incited violence against every minority group and gave the ok to blatently treat people like second class citizens. The hateful side of humanity had their green light to behave openly, how they used to only be able to behave in private. His supporters DON'T represent the majority of Americans. The overwhelming majority of us voted AGAINST everything he represents. He bought this election, he didn't win shit.

And you already know I completely agree about running a flawed candidate against him. I have no allegiance to Hillary, but it was her or a man who was specifically coming after the rights of those I hold most dear. In that situation, she'd get my vote every single time. It should've been Bernie, plain and simple.

5. The Dark King

Totally agree with you on the Bernie part but I think what a lot of us miss, trust me I felt like you did on election night the entire country was racist in my mind I was so hurt, is that his outlandish b.s. got the media to pay attention to him and that's when he would say shit like make America again. For most white people his racism didn't really register or didn't register as high as him promising to bring back jobs they so desperately wanted back. They want decent wages and to live with some dignity not doing low wage jobs to barely make it. He was addressing that, so I agree he did appeal to racists no doubt but more importantly he appealed to poor white Americans who remember the good old days when one job was enough to make a life, when they weren't being told 24/7 about their privilege when they have to be public assistance and can't send their kids to school. If you're in pain all you see and feel is your pain. I dont agree with it but I get it.

6. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

You give his supporters a big benefit of the doubt. I'm still not feeling that generous. I'm sure there are some "good ol days" wp that voted for him but even they irk me for being dumb enough to believe an egotistical, multimillionaire would ever give a rats ass about lower-middle class Americans. People have got to be smarter. Sadly, I believe most Americans who support him do so for unattractive reasons. I have always believed that turning a blind eye to injustice is just as bad as being involved first hand with the injustice. No trump supporter is excused of their responsibility for the mess Trump creates. I'm giving a pass to no one.

7. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

According to fivethirtyeight.com. the median household income of a Trump voter in the primaries was $71,000, so I don't know about the reality of Trump appealing to the economic interests of the White poor and working class.

8. The Dark King

Not as many people participate in the primaries. Hell this was the first one I voted in.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Truthfully, it's not an issue about Trump's education.

Like Dubya, both had outstanding academic backgrounds. Unfortunately both men were pathologically intellectually uncurious. They didn't know how important things worked, like the federal government, and didn't care to know.
    And they least of all wanted to put in the time and work to learn what they didn't know.

Trump's ego is so out of control he believes his innate 'intelligence' is more than enough to cover any details he's lacking when it comes to specific knowledge.

Obama, on the other hand, approached the presidency like he was going back to grad school. He educated himself on every important issue so he wasn't led by a ring through his nose by his advisers and department chiefs.

God help.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  11. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

Well, I don't know why you can't have free college education, but I'm quite sure you could have if there was the political will to do it. Germany has it, so the US could pull it off also.

12. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Bahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

13. The Dark King

Military joke?

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Don't ever let go of whatever you were doing with music. The good thing about the arts is if you can make a living from it you never have to accept reality. That's nothing against artists.....I love the arts just as much as anyone else.

If it's just a hobby, at least you can still get a break from reality for a brief amount of time.

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Donald Trump went to military school when he was younger. No doubt it was a rather prestigious school. If he was the least educated he wouldn't be a billionaire.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol. Not worthy of any other response.

17. K

K Well-Known Member

Interesting. Education equates to wealth? hmmm I know of many Ivy League grads who haven't made much. I also know of many college drop outs who have.

18. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall a report on CNN that even graduates from Ivy League schools weren't guaranteed a jobs after graduation. I was surprised because employers were looking for those folks. Especially in the corporate world.

I met a guy at the grocery store years ago when I was in college. He said that he graduated from Florida State University and he was looking for work. I told him that the only jobs available to were fast food, grocery store and retail. The job market was in Florida was slim in the early 90's and that was before I became a CO.

Trump's wealth was partly from his father and the rest was on his own.

Robert Kyosaki, author of the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad became a millionaire simply by learning from his two dads. His rich dad was the man who became his mentor and his birth father who provided for him also(quite subtly) inspired him not to be like him and go after his happiness.

Wealth can be many things.

It doesn't always mean money.

Being healthy learning and being with those you love can be considered wealth. It's not materialistic or superficial but it is a good thing.

19. K

K Well-Known Member

My point was actually in response to your comment that if Trump was the least educated he wouldn't be a billionaire. One can be the least educated and a billionaire. The two are not mutually exclusive.

There are many different things that go into becoming a billionaire and there are also many different ways to get there.

Further, there are many different forms of education. However, you all were talking about his formal schooling. The paper and where it came from is only a part of if all. There are some major idiots who have some of the best breeding and formal education available.

20. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

Great post. I think the U.S. would be that utopian society with free education and great healthcare and a great safety net (like some other countries) if we saw ourselves as one people. lol But we don't, & haven't ever.

Like, everybody wants mobility and a safety net for their own family... We all want the best for people we see as "us", not the "other". The people voting against such things are cutting off their nose to spite their face because they think free education et al just might help the "other". ... & they can't let that happen.

Germans can be for great entitlements because they want the best for Germans. ...But what's an "American"?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017