Wait why can't we have free college?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by The Dark King, Jan 22, 2017.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

We were just talking about this weren't We? Tell me why free college is so unrealistic again.

2. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

It's not unrealistic but the sad fact is that this country has too many people who don't care about helping others if it doesn't benefit themselves somehow. Greed is a real bitch.

3. The Dark King

But it does benefit them. It's an investment in our country. How many services do we pay for but never use. Like the parks departments, I gladly pay for it knowing I barely use them because they are beautiful. Sometimes you have to do what's best for everyone even if they're too dumb to realize it.

4. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Of course the benefit is there but the conservatives that I know certainly don't see it that way. There's no care with many of those people, of future benefits. They prefer immediate, tangible returns on their investment. The difficulty with the concept of free college lies within the greed of our country. I honestly don't see it happening. As sad as it is, this country has no interest in investing in future generations.

5. K

K Well-Known Member

I agree. However, I do have concerns about free higher education and the reality of that as well. As Beasty was talking about, the lack of competition, the restrictions, etc. are all real concerns. I really think it would take an overhaul of the entire educational system, which is definitely needed but unlikely to happen.

6. The Dark King

What lack of competition? It'll be as it is now where you need a certain GPA to get in. So if you want to go to UCLA you need at least a 3.5 and if you don't have that then off to UC Santa Barbara you go. Or if you have really bad grades you start out at community college. These tier systems were designed for exactly this reason. And even the education system needs an overhaul we shouldn't reject progress because it's not perfect.
    Btw in my state free higher education in already on its way. It can be done if the will is there.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

LOL

Tell us about that great free public high school you went to Carlton........lmao.

8. The Dark King

Lmao different times homie
    But to be fair as far as this conversation goes I did go to public college for both undergrad and grad.
    It was cheaper and my parents didn't want to help with school anymore. I would have benefited from free college with no loans to pay back.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

State college isn't free. lol.

That doesn't count.....lmao

I have a degree from a state college too. Was nothing like free high school. Are you serious?

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Somebody get this guy a red pill.....lol

11. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Don't believe the bullshit.
    The problem with this country is PRIORITIES, not resources.

I just heard it reported today that John McCain has just proposed a military budget that will increase to a record $740 billion(!!!) and balloon to almost $800 billion in 2020.
    This is beyond just preparedness for some non-existent world war. We're buying redundant weapons and equipment we don't need.

We could double the salaries of all our soldiers, close about 25 military bases world wide AND slash the defense budget by $150 billion, and use that money to make college education free, if not mostly free, for all qualified students.....and provide the funds needed to establish a universal health care program.

Eisenhower was prescient when he warned us to be on guard from the military/industrial complex.
    Most of the money in the defense budget goes to contractors and isn't spent on the day to day running of the DOD.

If our politicians had different priorities instead of making their donors obscenely rich, the USA would be a damn near utopian society that WOULD require a wall because everyone in the damn world would be trying to come here.

Defense spending has always been out of control but I feel like soon the American people are going to be 'woke', progressives and conservatives, and realize the country's immense wealth is being ripped off by high powered special interests.

EDIT: LOL. Sorry TDK. I just saw the thread title and missed reading the first post.
    That new military budget should be the lead story across all media.

Watch. I bet it get's approved.

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Adding to what you said, AB..if higher education was free all, what incentives could the Military offer to recruit with?. That DOD budget likely includes the covering of "free" education provided to the enlisted. It's a you scratch mine I'll scratch yours, trade-off.
    So while l think all education should be free as well, it's doubtful it will happen as long as we have volunteer enlistment.

13. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Not everyone academically qualifies to go to college right out of HS, and with higher salaries for enlisted many teens who needed that income would join the armed services for that reason alone.

Just because college is paid for doesn't mean everyone is going to go, or wants to attend.

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Canned souse meat should be free. Lets see how many people eat it everyday. Lol

15. The Dark King

What does that have to do with we're talking about?

16. The Dark King

I was like damn did dude see the video I posted lol.
    You gotta wonder their motivation sometimes. We make fun of Flame a lot on here but dude maybe onto something with his third world sweat shop theory.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Go visit some public high schools and talk to people that work there. Then have you a can of souse meat, on me.

18. The Dark King

So the heavily subsidize it. There are great public schools in our country they aren't all Chicago or Detroit. I just don't buy that the only way we can educate people is to charge them a yearly salary each year to afford. Not even homes we live in cost that much

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Just ignore real life models and throw money at it. What can possibly go wrong?

20. The Dark King

Ok so then what's your solution. Don't be a conservative and just shoot shit down. Be progressive show me something where people can get the education they need without costing them decades to pay it off. We somehow managed to do so until Reagan.