The Message Behind Upcoming Movie "Get Out" (IR Lead Couple)

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by ooieooie, Dec 18, 2016.

1. ooieooie

ooieooie Member

2. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I heard about this film.

3. ooieooie

ooieooie Member

I'm looking forward to it. I love horror/suspense/thriller movies. Also, very cool to see Jordan Peele doing something outside of comedy.

4. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I enjoy horror as well. I might go see it.

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

Does the film "Get Out" turn Interracial Dating into a horror film? Is this trying to discourage people from interracial dating? I have heard people
    mention these things about the upcoming movie.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

6. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

Darn those subliminal messages :confused:

7. ooieooie

ooieooie Member

I guess it's hard to say without seeing it... It's coming from Jordan Peele though, who has a very progressive Comedy Central show, so I imagine it's more about highlighting places that are still pretty unaccepting of interracial relationships... The trailer is so effing intense though. I'm gonna definitely see it. I looove horror/thriller movies, and this one is unique in its content.

8. darkcurry

That's what I was thinking, makes it more intriguing to see this movie. It got a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

9. ooieooie

ooieooie Member

Oh wow, that's so awesome!!! I am admittedly kind of a Rotten Tomatoes snob, so the fact that it's at 100% so far... that makes me very happy, in both an avid movie goer way and a social/equality acceptance kind of way too :)

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

I think it's a spoof on what ghetto black people or even older black women (ie your mom or aunt) think will happen to you if you date a white girl, hang out with white people, or go off into the country for a weekend, that you might not come back

70 years later they still try to use Emmitt Till to scare you off from dating white girls for example...this is a spoof on that thinking

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. MightyLighty

MightyLighty Well-Known Member

Hollywood's agenda is generally to avoid portraying bm/ww relationships.

12. darkcurry

Another direction they could be going. Good points you made there, will be interesting to see. I'm taking my girlfriend to see it next weekend!

13. darkcurry

Or they portray them negatively. That's what we see for the most part, so when a love story like "A United Kingdom" comes along it gets minimal coverage and
    basically ignored by MSM. Even though it is critically acclaimed and had a VERY strong opening last week with it only opening on very few screens.

• List
  14. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Spoof? You definitely didn't date any white women beyond the city limits when you were young huh.
    Besides since when does horror have to be factual it just has to be scary

15. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I think the IR part with the main Black male character is just incidental. Peele's momma is White, he's biracial and he just married an Italian comic.
    He's the last dude IMO promoting an anti-IR message.

This looks like a straight ahead horror movie where the Black hero is dating a White girl who has a crazy, deadly family.

I'd bet Peele doesn't even want viewers to focus on the IR aspect. Just my guess.
    If this movie was made by anyone else who didn't have Peele's background, hell yes I'd be questioning the motives of the filmmakers.

16. glt1980

glt1980 Well-Known Member

Perspective can be a funny thing I frequent the IMDB message boards and oddly enough it seems that it is the white guys on the board that are calling it a racist liberal propaganda movie. Assuming its going to be 2 hours of how terrible white people are and mind you that most of them are judging it by a 2 minute trailer and have not seen it yet. But reading those boards it is just so funny seeing these guys over there losing their shit. I suggest it if you are looking for some good entertainment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/board/threads/

As for the movie itself from the people on the board that have seen it they are are saying it is actually not racist at all and without giving too much away it will not be what anyone is expecting. There is one review with major spoilers that I read and after reading it I gotta say the way thing go in this film I am probably going to go see it and I am not a fan of the comedy horror genre.

17. MightyLighty

Don't you think that maybe he's spoofing white people's bias towards blacks, especially men?

Edit: the comment above (glt1980) pretty much confirms it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  18. darkcurry

Those are racist trolls that go around talking about "white guilt" and "white genocide" and all of that. They are the same ones that were going around blaming unarmed black people
    for getting killed by the police and telling black people that they need to worry about violence in their neighborhoods and black on black crime not the police officers, but as soon as you call out racism from white people your racist for doing it. LOL! They also believe that the Black Panther Party and the KKK are one in the same. Their ignorance is not even worth taking serious.
    If you go to the "A United Kingdom" trailer on youtube in the comments section they are doing the same thing to that movie.

As far as going on that thread I'm going to try and avoid spoilers. Like I said I LOVE the uniqueness of this film and can't wait to see it! Peele just might become the next good young filmmaker in hollywood.:)

• List
  19. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

Even though he's known mostly for comedy, I have a feeling Jordan Peele is going to surprise a lot of people with his talent for horror/suspense.

Some of those Key and Peele skits were pretty dark.

20. MightyLighty

Or they might Nate Parker him....