United States of Obesity: CDC map reveals at least 20% of EVERY state is clinically overweight

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Bliss, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

More than 20 percent of adults are obese in every state in America, according to new figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In five states - Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas and West Virginia - more than 35 percent of residents are morbidly overweight.

And 20 states, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have a rate between 30 and 35 percent.
    [​IMG]

The figures, released on Thursday, are a damning sign that public health efforts to improve nutrition and fitness aren't fixing the problem.

Colorado had the lowest rate, which was still a staggeringly high 22.3 percent, up from last year's rate of 20.2 percent.

The highest figure was recorded in West Virginia, where 37.7 percent of adults are obese.

The South has the highest prevalence of obesity compared to other regions of the US with 32 percent, and the Midwest followed closely behind it with 31.4 percent.

The data came from a series of telephone interviews conducted from 2014 to 2016, asking people their height and weight to calculate their body-mass index (BMI).

According to the CDC, a BMI above 30.0 is classed as obese.

Breaking down the data into racial groups, the researchers found stark differences.

More than 38 percent of non-Hispanic black adults were classed as obese.

In at least 31 states, more than 35 percent of the non-Hispanic black population is obese.

And over 32 percent of Hispanic adults are obese, and 28 percent of white adults are obese.

Public health officials are urging the nation to look at Minnesota, Montana, New York and Ohio as examples in a bid to combat the obesity epidemic.

The government currently pours over $190 billion each into health services to treat obesity-related diseases like diabetes and heart disease.

As the number of office-bound stationary jobs increases, and the population ages, officials warn the situation is only going to get worse unless we combat diet and fitness culture.

Obese individuals are at a higher risk for high blood pressure, which is the leading cause of strokes.

They also have a higher chance of developing other problems such as high cholesterol, diabetes and heart disease, which is the leading cause of death for American adults.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Sage comment..

"Yes, most US cities and suburbs have walking paths. But walking for exercise/leisure and walking as a mode of transportation are two different things. Walking thousands of steps in NYC seems effortless; it doesn't even feel like exercise. This is the type of exercise that is needed. But our infrastructure in not built that way. Everything requires a car."

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself...

"While I do believe we have a problem in the states (the food industry has labs that figure out the perfect amounts of fat, sugar, and/or sodium to make their highly palatable food turn a profit for their companies), I also know there are a lot of normal sized people."

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Now this is interesting...

Did not realize it @ Military...

Three perspectives -

"I was running 8-10 miles in the morning and bench pressing 400 pounds in the afternoon. Washboard abs, chiseled shoulders, and my life was an absolute hell when i was an officer in the military, battling ridiculous standards that rewarded physiques without muscle. So glad i'm retired now. With my now bad knees, I'll show you what fat really is! Enjoy life, people."

"You're right, the BMI formula does not account for muscle, needs to be adjusted, but body builders are few and far between both in the military and the civilian world. Any ideas how to modify the BMI formula to accomodate for Muscle ?"

"It feels so good to be in control of my own body again after getting out of the army! Now I am healthy and not just super skinny."

5. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

It seems our military is having a hard time finding people fit enough to serve "Obesity is a national security issue", per below. Some truly scary facts starting around 13:00. My family doctor left his general practice a few years ago to open an clinic focusing on diabetes, due to the obesity epidemic, his clinic is booming with business, sign of the times...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Blame capitalism. The fattest states are also the poorest states. The foods that are best for our health, can be a burden to our wallets. All the bike paths and 24-hour fitness gyms in the world can't compete when all people can afford to feed their families are foods filled with high fructose corn syrup and saturated fats.

7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some truth to that, but... http://healthland.time.com/2013/12/05/eating-healthy-is-cheaper-than-you-think/

"The smart people at the Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) have crunched the numbers and it’s official: the healthiest diets cost just $1.50 more than unhealthy diets."

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Great link. The price disparity is about right, give or take a few dollars. (Avocados are my expensive pleasure)

On a personal note, as someone that really loved brats/italian sausage, I missed that but I found a company that is actually around the same price, $4, for a pack, and I compare the ingredients..

Then l compare the fat and protein.

Honestly, these (below) taste very much like pork sausages...yet l don't have that after glut and High blood pressure.

So compare the ingredients...

[​IMG]

Ingredients: Filtered water, vital wheat gluten, expeller pressed safflower oil, non-sulphured dried apples, yukon gold potatoes, naturally flavored yeast extract, onion powder, barley malt, garlic, natural hickory smoke flavor with torula yeast, sea salt, spices and rubbed sage.

Sugars 3g.
    Protein 10g.
    Nutrition Facts. Serv. Size: 2 Sausages (44g).
    Servings per container: 6
    Calories 100.
    Calories from fat 35.

Johnsonville Breakfast Sausage
    [​IMG]
    Pork, water and less than 2% of the following: corn syrup, salt, potassium lactate, dextrose, monosodium glutamate, sodium phosphate, spice, natural flavors, flavorings (spice extractives), sodium diacetate, caramel color, BHA, citric acid, propyl gallate.

NUTRITION FACTS
    Serving Size: 2 links (45g)
    Servings per Container: 6
    Calories: 150
    Calories from Fat: 120
    Total Fat: 13 g
    Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
    Trans Fat: 0%
    Cholesterol: 30 mg11%
    Sodium: 390 mg
    Total Carbohydrates: 2 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0%
    Sugars: 0
    Protein: 7 g
    Vitamin A: 0%Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: 0%Iron: 0%

Not a significant source of dietary fiber, sugars vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron.

*I will also check your TED talk vid when l can use my volume ... (Not home)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

Was reading a article that said 1 in 4 Americans are prediabetic. That's the new epidemic and people don't seem to care .

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Hold on hold on I thought you could be obese as fuck and still be healthy?
    We changing opinions on this now?

11. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

Body positive bro! Weight has nothing to do with your health. Unless of course if you're too skinny then fatties will judge and shame

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Obese as fuck? Stop lying. No one ever said that.

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    Um.. Is this the old Panni??

Edit..ok l missed the damn sarcasm.
    Yeah, it is the old fat-hating Paniro! Lmao.

14. K

K Well-Known Member

When was that ever said?

Part of it is how you define healthy.

15. K

K Well-Known Member

Not only do people not care, a lot of docs aren't taking it very seriously. People really don't get how damaging and dangerous diabetes can be. I have a friend who's in that prediabetic range and was showing symptoms of being diabetic. He finally went into the doc and they didn't even run any new tests. He said oh we did your A1C a few months ago so that's fine. I've seen way too many people who even do change their habits trying to get things under control, but it was too late.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

Interesting. I usually don't get into that conversation too much because I know that things are often different here. We have an abundance of fresh foods available.

17. The Dark King

You were gone for a minute. That was a heavy debate on here where certain members wanted to play dumb and act like you could still be healthy when you're 50lbs overweight or more

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

People hate on Russia but damn..there really aren't many *huge ones...

Sometimes l look around and think if we all had to go to War to defend America, could we, up against other countries citizens....?

In Russia, 30 Squats Will Get You a Train Ticket

https://www.wired.com/2013/11/squats-train-ticket/

*(now that could also be because food is more scarce, but l'm around a lot of Russians, they're very normal weight, naturally it seems.)

19. K

K Well-Known Member

Again, I think it depends on how healthy is defined. There are those who are however overweight and are supposedly healthy because all their bloodwork says so, they have no evidence of disease or issues.

I'm not talking about 50 pounds overweight, but I will tell you that by most charts my youngest would be overweight and she is all muscle. She's also very tall. My other kids were small and on the low end of the charts. The youngest is the healthiest of all of them.

20. The Dark King

I get that argument but the vast majority of people people who are obese are not healthy and we focus on outliers to take away from a real issue. But I've learned my health is my only concern everyone else has to do what's best for them.