The World's First Torrent-Based Browser

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by TheUtopian, Apr 14, 2015.

1. TheUtopian

TheUtopian Active Member

[​IMG]

04/2015

The future of the Web has arrived.

The beta version of BitTorrent’s experimental, torrent-based browser Maelstrom is now available for download.

The browser is based on Chromium (an open-source web browser project from which Google Chrome draws its source code), which allows websites to work over the BitTorrent protocol and be hosted by peers, without the need for any servers. Even though this is a Chromium-based browser, BitTorrent will not officially support Chrome extensions and apps from the Chrome Web Store.

Maelstrom works just like any other regular browser that accesses sites over standard HTTP/HTTPS protocols. With this browser, web pages can be delivered via peer-to-peer torrent technology which is very different from the traditional server-to-client system.

As of now, Maelstrom is only available for Windows users who can download the browser from here. BitTorrent promises that future versions of the browser will soon be available for Mac and Linux users as well.

2. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Hmmm

3. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

oh boy living dangerously between legal and illegal

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

What do you think of popcorn time?

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What are the advantages of this?

6. archangel

First time that I have heard of it. I'm not touching it. I'm not going to talk about this on the forum for obvious reason....

7. archangel

downloading stuff without needing a torrent client. Opera already does this though and firefox probably has an addon.

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Lmao

9. TheUtopian

TheUtopian Active Member

No, BitTorrent Inc's Maelstrom uses P2P tech for web browsing instead of a central server. As for Opera's built-in BitTorrent client, Cloud torrenting is safer and there's unlimited bandwidth.

It ain't called the "Netflix for pirated movies" for nothin'. I've heard great things about the app, but I visit 1337x.to for my movie fix.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  10. Otis

Otis New Member

Props Utopian. I had no idea BitTorrent had a browser in the works. I have so many questions!!

1. How will this browser handle a flood of traffic?
    2. What are its similarities/disimilarities with the Tor browser?
    3. Do YOU use it?
    4. What are you thoughts? Would this be considered a Chrome upgrade?
    5. Do you view this browser's architecture as being advantageous for webmasters?

Sorry for the interrogation; I'm just trying to keep up. That's all.

11. TheUtopian

TheUtopian Active Member

It's still in Beta form and faster than Chrome, according to users. No Linux version yet. Works great with Windows 8.1. I'm buying a new laptop ( I have 2 Chromebooks and an older Toshiba Satellite laptop), but I can't wait to install it this weekend.

12. Otis

Otis New Member

Thanks for your reply.

I also have an older model Toshiba, and an Acer that runs Win 8.1 - but I hate Windows 8! Waiting patiently for the new Operating System; this new one is a failure.

Just my opinion.

13. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Functions like Tor. If you are savvy enough, you'll enter the deep web in no time...minus having an undetectable IP Address.