The Vegan Spot: Diet Tips, Skincare, Recipes, etc.

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by Bliss, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I thought a little vegan corner was needed. Veganism and vegetarianism is a dedicated lifestyle, not just a diet. There is so much incredible information available to live comfortably as one.

Even if you aren't one, but are curious in general, some great overal tips, pics and stories will be shared here. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Serious input & opinions are welcomed...)

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Many people think vegans and vegetarians are thin and/or weak. Not true..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Gemini74

Gemini74 Well-Known Member

unique will love this ^^

but really that s a good idea. there is so much real deli vegan food, i just wish that some of the ingredients were not so damn expensive.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I'm confident Unique will

What do you find expensive? Could you give some examples.. l know in Germany prices for different things are not like in the US...

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

6. Gemini74

well, it sure depends on how much you have to spend in a month. so goods that are expensive to me, are not necessarily expensive to others.
    but, if you want fresh veggies daily, you ll have to pay for it and soyproducts cost more then average.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I see. Well what about substituting fresh veggies for frozen? Do you have Chinese grocers? Soy is much cheaper there. I barely eat soy since l still eat fish for now. Like l said to lippy, you do what you can , when you can, with what you have. Eventually if you drop the rest, the cost balances out. No longer buying beef, chicken or pork frees up money to buy the stuff l now want to eat.

8. Gemini74

you wont believe it, but frozen veggies are pretty expensive here aswell.
    i guess it boils down to what you told lippy.
    i found places to get my veggies cheaper, which is mainly seasonal then but i m ok with that. just in wintertime it gets me sometimes, coz all that cabbage over and over isnt very exiting.
    we have chinese/asian shops, but they are usually small and not really cheaper. what you really get at a good price there are frozen king prawns. you pay yourself stupid for those at the regular groceries.
    i m hardly eating meat anymore for a while now and started using the money for fish.
    fish costs more here then meat, but it s ok for me. i m just eating less then before.
    i m looking forward to spring and summer which will fill up the market with more affordable veggies and fruits.

9. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

What foods do you substitute for meat? (I actually thought about trying this lifestyle).

10. Gemini74

well i cook fish instead of meat, mainly. but since that is heavy on my budget, too, we have plenty veggie-only dishes now on the table.

11. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

So, no chicken, cow, goat, or pig?

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You sound like you know what you are doing for/in your part of the world.

For me, by passing 99% of take-outs/drive-thru's is another added bonus. A meal is $6+ dollars and l can buy much more with that money on vegetarian items at the market.

Anyway, yeah..bring on Spring and her bounty.:)

13. Gemini74

hardly, tho.
    i still sometimes have a tooth for some spaghetti with a ground beef gravy, so i allow myself that from time to time.
    chicken i only buy breast, spice it, grill it and add it at a low volume to salad.
    so it s just like an add on, but i m cutting down on that too.

well, i m trying. i have a 50 euro a week to feed me and my daughter (ususally my other daughter, her bf and my grandchild are among a day or two a week aswell) at most, and good 10 euro of that already go spend on drinking water. so you have an idea.
    it only works with a lot of running to different places to gather stuff together.
    the only advantage on being on pension is that i have the time for it.

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

It depends why you wanted to try it.
    Some people give up meat freely because they just don't want to eat it and don't care to eat it ever again.

Then there are those who don't want to eat it but want something similar to its texture and taste...this is where tempeh and soy products come into the picture. I was at whole foods and there was this smoked linked sausage that looked just like sausage, but it was completely vegan...and cost the same as regular sausage.

Why exactly were you considering it?

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yummy Protein and Veggie dish

[[​IMG]

INGREDIENTS

1 cup quinoa
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
    Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in quinoa until well combined.
    Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan, if desired.

16. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

I once read that beef can stay in your system from 72 hrs to 2 weeks. Idk if that's true but it's nasty as fuck. So I thought about changing my eating style. To this day I try to stay away from steak.

17. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

It has been proven that high protein diets like meat and milk acellerate the spread of cancer, so being vegan is definitely better for your health.

18. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I'm trying to go Paleo or Primal (which is grain-free) but the plan is also heavy on veggies so I find some great recipes on vegetarian/vegan sites.

19. free816

free816 New Member

Here is a weakness I can't conquer lol who here has this kind of dedication sprinkle some of it this way,, always wanted to start a healthier diet and vegan is the one I know is great for your overall
    Health

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I completely understand, Gem...eating pure and not processed is not as simple as it would seem. Luckily for us here, even regular $upermarkets are wising up and selling organic, free range, greek yogurts, almond milk, etc at reasonable prices now.

Nothing stays in your intestinal system longer than 8-12 hrs tops, so that's a fallacy. (Now if you are constipated your colon is a different story).
    Beef isn't bad for you in its clean form, but today's USDA beef is practically a facsimile of itself.
    Not to mention the absolute devastation to the planet, our health @antibiotic and hormone influx, as well as diseased meat and feeding cows grains and other dead cows (canabalism) which is horrendous in itself ..and finally, the tortured life and treatment of our livestock. No bueno.