The PEACEful side of the protests in Ferguson

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bliss, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

The POWER of LOVE <3

This is Devonte Hart...

He was at a protest rally, giving out FREE HUGS.

[​IMG]

The officer asked him..if he could have one...

Here is what happened next...

[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

....because archman needs to be reminded

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

More of the touching back-story to the photos above...

The Oregonian reports that the interaction between the officer and Devonte Hart happened at the beginning of the rally. In an interview with a reporter, Sgt. Barnum confirmed that it was he who approached the young boy after he noticed that the boy was in tears. The young man was holding a “Free Hugs” placard, Bret Barnum confirmed.

The Sergeant called out to him and the duo started talking. All the while, Johnny Nguyen, the photographer who had noticed the boy and the subsequent interaction between the two, had a feeling that something powerful was about to happen. He hung around the boy for some time.

Meanwhile, the Sergeant at the end of the conversation pointed to the boy’s sign and asked him, “Do I get one of those?”

Seconds after the officer uttered those words, the emotional hug between the two happened. Nguyen immediately captured the moment with his camera. In the image, you can see Devonte’s eyes swell up in tears as he hugs the officer. Following the hug, the duo went back to their respective duties.

Later, Ngyuen uploaded the image to his Instagram account.
    The image was quickly shared by thousands of people and within hours, went viral...

Later, in the Instagram post, Nguyen thanked everyone who shared his image.

He says, “I want to thank everyone who shared my photo today!!! You guys are playing a great role in spreading the message of hope and humanity as seen here in the photo of Sgt. Barnum and Devonte Hart.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1642219/devonte-hart-hugs-white-police-officer/#ZvlfGwbhKTQh7IHL.99

--------------------------

Here is another lovely photo of a NY protester in Ferguson and a police officer sharing hugs...

[​IMG]
    A woman who identified herself as Dragonfly, from the Brooklyn borough of New York,
    gets a hug from Ferguson, Mo., police Sgt. Michael Wood.

4. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Being a policeman is supposed to be about community interaction and protection

That's what it needs to get back to because many minority areas plagued with violence still want the patrols, just sans the questionable killings

I remember seeing a cop walking his daily beat on a strip in northeast Philly and everyone knew his name. He was always friendly and people didn't feel threatened. If anything, it made you feel safer since the area he was patrolling was prone to high schoolers and the trouble they cause.

Then there's a time when I was a kid and a white cop that I did not know, decided to buy me soup at a dunkin donuts where my mom worked

Cops shouldn't feel the need to be bullies, but I guess since they're tasked with dealing with hardened criminals so often, they become changed

Unless you've done the job or something similar (preferably something that involves people shooting at you), I guess it would be hard to understand how mentalities just shift

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I agree with your commentary on getting back to community/beat policing.

The anecdote you recited of the cop buying you soup reminded me of this touching video I posted a while ago ... even though moments later he was shot dead in cold-blood by a punk, his last act of kindness was toward this child.

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I was going to post this the other day. I'm glad you shared it. Sweet story. I want to hug the young man myself. Bless his heart. :smt049

7. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

The only point I was making is if your intention is to demonstrate for a just cause, you can't cloak or provide cover for the criminal element.....you have to make more of a concerted effort to separate yourself from their very bad visual.....destruction and mayhem does not win over sympathy. ..."Hands up don't shoot" does not mean "Hands full, lets loot"......

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Even if cops werent killing young black males for sport, you'd still have people who couldn't stand them and wish they'd all die or get out of their war torn neighborhoods altogether

That's just the way it is

But

Given the fact that Philly is rife with criminal activity, I'd prefer to keep them here

9. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I'm not for destroying your own gotdamn neighborhood either

There were black owned/minority owned business that were targeted and well...that's unacceptable

But...it's suspected that many looters and rioters weren't from the area/protesting and were just scumbags looking to capitalize

I mean that's pretty fucking stupid to think that burning down black and minority owned establishments helps your cause...which is why I can't believe legit protestors would do that

With that said...there WERE armed blacks defending stores from scumbag weave stealers and well...that's the picture that needs to be more mainstream instead of society lumping them all together

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

His parents said he loves to raise money for charities ?...He is, and is going to be such a wonderful human for this planet. Imagine that... a child able to see past all the racial rhetoric bullshit being carried out by polarizers and shit stirrers....They could most definitely learn from him that we are all in this together and we better start acting like it..

11. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

The look on his face makes me want to cry. He seems so overwhelmed with the violence and negativity around him and just wanted to do SOMETHING to turn it around. Sounds like he has a huge heart and a beautiful spirit. :smt049

12. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for posting this. :smt023

What touched me the most in this story is what Devonte's mother said about his struggle with the issues of police brutality and racism. It made my heart ache for him, and all of the black boys and men who share that struggle.

"Devonte was struggling. He wouldn't speak. He was inconsolable," his mother wrote. "My son has a heart of gold, compassion beyond anything I've ever experienced, yet struggles with living fearlessly when it comes to the police... He wonders if someday when he no longer wears a 'Free Hugs' sign around his neck, when he's a full-grown black male, if his life will be in danger for simply being."

I also have great respect for the officer treating him with respect and compassion, and for seeing him as a fellow human being. I also appreciate his acknowledgement of the boy's struggle and the courage it took to put himself out there in spite of his fear of the police, and for caring about being a positive influence to him.

"Knowing how he struggled with police, his bravery and courage to catch my eye and approach me were impressive," Barnum said. "And it's a blessing for me that I didn't miss an opportunity to impact this child."

http://news.yahoo.com/portlands-ferguson-protest-boy-hugs-officer-174417767.html

God bless them both for their beautiful examples of humanity.

13. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Poor kid. My heart goes out to him. He deserves maximum respect for being able to transform that pain and turn it around. Not many adults could do that.

14. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Very touching Bliss.,. thank you for sharing this.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

OMG..l have learned this child was starved and just MURDERED by his adoptive mothers. They deliberately plunged off a cliff with him in it, along with his 5 adopted siblings last week!! :oops::(

I can't believe this beautiful soul is gone!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ple-plunged-cliff-fled-home-targeted-KKK.html

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

She killed him. The bitch killed him! :(