The Official MLB Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I couldn't find one in the archives.

So anyway, to kick it off, I want to dedicate it to Jackie Robinson's 65th Anniversary today, when he first took the field with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947. He broke the color barrier, and inspired and continues to inspire players world-wide.

Happy MLB Birthday, Mr. Robinson~

[​IMG]

[​IMG] #42 :smt023

[​IMG]

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh and my P's won today. 8-2 Mets. :D

[​IMG]

3. Nebula J

Nebula J New Member

Man, I played baseball, fun to play, and I definitely wouldn't mind following the season, but it's...just...boring

I'll be back when the playoffs are here

4. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

Big ups to Jack Jack

5. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

:smt038 Finally!

Here's my MLB love: Ryan Howard

[​IMG]

Also JRoll and John Mayberry, Jr. Go Phils!!!! (Oh! Can't forget the Phillie Phanatic!)

6. Centreville

Centreville New Member

The Pujols-less Cardinals are 7-3. Really hope Chris Carpenter comes back and Wainwright becomes the Wainwright of 2006-10.

7. Centreville

Centreville New Member

Branch Rickey leaving the Cardinals for Brooklyn after they beat the Yankees in '42 cost them a couple of more pennants and WS in the late 40's-mid 50's. However, it was a move that had to be made. St. Louis threatened to boycott the 1947 season due to Robinson's entry into the league.

8. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Awesome piece of knowledge. Thanks for that. Most of what I know about Jackie was through online reading and watching this documentary...

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/baseball/

[​IMG]

I recall at one point sitting there just shaking my head and tears inside my heart, b/c of the racism he endured. He was such a classy man in the face of it. Him and Willie Mays (in the 50's).

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

7-3? Doing so well...interesting. Guess they let Pujols go at the right time.

10. Centreville

Centreville New Member

Yeah, it's a true testament to how improved the farm system is thanks to Jeff Luhnow (he's the scouting director for Houston now). The Cardinals as a
    franchise is faceless for the first time since Ozzie retired in 1996. Pujols' contract would've hamstrung them for years, so I'm glad they dodged that bullet.

11. Centreville

Centreville New Member

The only problem I have with that series is that it focused heavily on the East Coast teams. It also re-introduced Buck O'Neil to the baseball world. I met him in '97. One of the most pleasant individuals I've ever had the chance to meet.

12. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

Nationals won last night 6-3. 8W-3L 1st in the NL East:D

Stephen Strasburg gets the win(2-0)
    [​IMG]

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I see what you did there. [​IMG]

14. Black DeNiro

What!:smt102 lol

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Um, I'm pretty sure somewhere soon my Phils play your Nats..care to make a friendly wager? [​IMG]

16. Black DeNiro

Sure.lol The loser has to pledge their allegiance to the winners team for a week.:)

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

So let's say winner gets to choose the loser's AVI (team) pic?, and if it's a sweep, they get to make a sig quote as well? ;) Deal?

18. Black DeNiro

I can do the AVI if your team wins, but im not messing with my sig.lol But I don't think i'd have to worry about that anyway, cause there's noway y'all gonna sweep us.:smt003

19. Black DeNiro

1-0 Nats win 9W-3L

Gio Gonzalez gets the win(1-0)

[​IMG]

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Jamie Moyer

Former Phillies Pitcher and Now Rockies man made history last night - At 49, he became the oldest pitcher in major league history to win a game. His career spans almost a quarter century.

[​IMG]

--------------------------

On a dif note, our Phillies batters stink. Cliff Lee has 10 scoreless innings...played a gem in SF tonight(am). He deserved the win. Baseball can be so cruel. :(