The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

The Expanse will launch its third season on April 11th, it has been announced by Syfy, which also released a teaser trailer (above).

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

"***Captain America Civil War Spoilers***

Lol

I really do enjoy movies like that. Civil war had an element of it as well. When Stark found out that Bucky killed his parents, and the fact that Cap knew about it. Could you blame Stark for trying to kill Bucky? Could you blame Cap for protecting Bucky? Could you blame Cap for not telling Stark? Stark was even considering killing Cap to get to Bucky, would that have been taking it too far? *As Cap lays on the floor* Stark: "stand down, this is your final warning!"

That's what I call effective writing.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I think boycotting the film over the private lives of anyone involved in the film is, while within their rights, ridiculous. While the movie does touch on some of the philosophical trends within the black community, it is not designed to be a primer in black consciousness theory. Despite the weight of those themes, it is intended as a whimsical, fantasy/sci-fi/superhero film, nothing more.

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

No, but his methods were evil and selfish. It seems a lot of people are too willing to forget the wrong he did, or at least, justify it. That's my position. Evil deeds done in service of a noble goal are still evil.

7. samson1701

[​IMG]

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

DING!

SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO STILL HAVEN'T SEEN IT...(dafuq wrong with your asses)

Nevermind the fact that if his father hadn't been killed, and both of them had been taken to Wakanda, would he still have been about some "black liberation"? And if so would he have gone about it the same way that he did or would he have gone the same route T'Challa eventually took?

9. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Fam that's the nature of conquest. Power concedes nothing only if there is financial gain or force being implimented does anything actually shift. No one and mean literally no one is going to do something beneficial for another group of people if they don't have to. If he didn't take Wakanda by force they would have maintained there isolationist attitude while everyone else suffered. They had to be on the brink of losing it all to see the error of their ways. The term necessary evil exists for a reason.

10. The Dark King

You're right he had to personally suffer to see the suffering of others but so what. Again he wasn't wrong 2 billion in the world be oppressed and they sitting up there comfortable knowing they have the very tools to full stop the oppression. Did it have to be war? Hopefully not but at the very least give these people a home land, negotiate on their behalf, but this sitting back while suffer day in and day out is the true evil.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

No, he wasn't wrong, but so what? He didn't have a viable solution to fix the problem. No different from what actually happens in the real world. Plenty of black folks around who have achieved means & status that if they combined forces they could be doing quite a bit to reverse and minimize the state of oppression among their own currently. So where are they??

12. samson1701

SPOILERS =======SPOILERS =====SPOILERS

Killmonger kills his girlfriend. His, ride or die, willing to do ANYTHING (including risk her life) for him queen. Tries to choke out an elderly priestess for something very petty, then destroys all of the heart shaped herb so that, should something happen to him, there can never be another Black Panther to protect his kingdom of Wakanda.

Tell me again how Killmonger wasn't just a psychopath out for just himself? The fact that so many of us are willing to give him a pass on all of that says some very troubling things about some of our people.

Just because someone feels our pain and takes action doesn't mean that person is deserving of our support. That's how con-servatives think. That's how we ended up with Trump. Methods should matter as much as intention. But, for them, it didn't and still doesn't.

Also, T'Challa was depicted as slowly moving toward engaging with the rest of the world, anyway. We know this because his girlfriend was pushing him on it, plus he brought Bucky back to Wakanda to heal him. He didn't just let him die as his father would have. Also, he and his general had previously talked about it. We know this because the general (dude from Get Out) mentioned that his soldiers were ready to go out and do what was necessary. But T'Challa said that wasn't the right way to do it. So, by every indication, T'Challa would've eventually ended up, where where he was by the end of the film, without Killmonger's interference.

13. The Dark King

I got no indication that was his ride or die all I saw was a chick he worked with and messed around with. They all knew what they signed up for no honor among thieves. She helped facilitate a murder at the museum I'm not looking at her as some innocent. I'm willing to look over a lot of what Kilmonger did because he was hardened into that and honestly unlike most villains who are out for self his mission was as noble as it gets. To reduce the suffering of billions, it wasn't a mission of conquest it was an attempt to put a complete halt to the suffering that's been solely concentrated on a particular people for centuries. And I'll say it again power concedes nothing, there are no polite conversations that are going to make people stop being oppressive. Also let me be clear I'm not saying go after everyone for no reason only those who prosper by hurting others.

14. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I agree with some of what you said especially her not being his ride or die, but I will say this. Power poisons the heart and mind. He was angry understandably but used it as a solution to the world's problems. When you operate with anger you don't come away with going about things the right way, because there is like no time to think when you are enraged.

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

There was no full thought/logic with anything he did. Everything was strictly fueled by emotion. Every action he took was to continue to feed the emotion.

16. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

This is the reason why I can't follow modern comic titles anymore.
    You know what Marvel and DC should have done?? Have more of these heroes get married and have kids. The new millennial story lines would write themselves.
    Think about the angst a child of Superman/Wonder Woman would have who's not as super, is pimply and kinda chunky...oh and doesn't want to save the world??
    Rebooting legendary storylines every 5-10 years IMO just kills the fanbase.

17. The Dark King

No logic? Y'all act like dude was randomly robbing banks or dealing drugs to get a house and a car. It was a very clear and logical plan. Take over a strong hold with the resources necessary to liberate the people. Was it a perfect 25 year plan no but if any of you have spent even 3 days where people are suffering around the clock the only logical thing is stop the suffering asap not when it makes you comfortable.
    And I think most people missed when he said he only wanted to overthrow those who wanted to continue being oppressive. So was he suppose to take a slow and easy way that makes everyone feel ok except those suffering?

18. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Fahrenheit 451
    depicts “a future where the media is an opiate, history is rewritten and ‘firemen’ burn books," according to the official synopsis.

19. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I get that you agree with him completely. I'm saying I agree with his anger, not his methods. You have to make chess moves on chess players or you will get checkmate. And like T'Challa said he was becoming the people he hated the most.

20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Freedom is never born from tyranny.
    TDK sounds like a young Bolshevik circa 1917.