The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I think people give those two guys too much credit for the success of Game Of Thrones. They adapted source material that had sex, swords, dragons, zombies, and shocking twists, that shit sells itself. Star Wars fans, on the other hand, are very polarized right now, so those dudes got their work cut out for them.

One more thing, why has everyone tasked to work on Star Wars since Disney bought Lucasfilm been a white dude? You would think a studio run by a woman would give some other folks a chance.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

lol.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Seriously, Kathleen Kennedy (the president of Lucasfilm) has made a real push to make Star Wars female-centric and racially diverse in front of the cameras, but behind the scenes it still a monochromatic sausage fest. You would think with all the failed white guy directors she has hired since taking over (Phil Lord & Chris Miller, Colin Trevorrow, Josh Trank, and even Gareth Edwards had most of his work redone) she would give some non-white and/or non-penis having people a shot.

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Probably hasn't done it because the same folks upset that there are now women and non white dudes being featured as main characters in front of the camera would totally lose their shit if the same happened behind the cameras &in the writing room.

White men have the luxury of being allowed to fail as much as they like. Everyone else outside that group, not so much.

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Great overview of all the main characters in the Black Panther movie.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  7. andreboba

Actually, the prominent role of BW in Black Panther comes strictly from the comic book reboot. No agenda on the part of Hollywood studios.
    And nearly all the BW portrayed in the movie are there to support and aid T'Challa.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

But that's not the spin being put out. Its becoming more about strong black women more so than the king

9. andreboba

Well, Black Panther's security detail is an elite force of nearly all women. Most people commenting on the movie really don't have much background information about the Black Panther mythology.

I'd rather have some folks on Black twitter thinking this movie is about empowering BW rather than trying to boycott the flick before it ever comes out.

10. ColiBreh1

11. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

'Nuff said.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

13. darkcurry

My girl!

14. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Announcing The Game of Thrones guys, and new TV shows along with the SOLO trailer in the same week, makes me think Disney is trying to get out in front of the idea that Star Wars is slipping.

15. ColiBreh1

Looks like Weiss & Benioff's upcoming controversial HBO show "Confederates" might be no longer be happening:

16. darkcurry

Good! Terrible idea. There are sooo many shows and movies where white people are in most of the dominant roles in a subtle manner. This will be just be putting the white supremacy behind the scenes of these movies and tv shows in the actual plot... making it blatant, taking the mask off. lol.

17. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I actually would've liked to have seen that series. Though, they were set to produce, I read that blacks were writing the show. Sort of how Black Lightning is set up with Berlanti and co.

Could've been a dope show with us running it. We won't know now unless it gets picked up somewhere else. But, that's highly doubtful given the current climate.

18. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Is anybody watching Femme Trek where there are seemingly no straight men of any high rank in Starfleet? One more ep of the season, thank God. The season closer better be the biggest twist ending ever to get me to come back for season 2.

19. RicardoCooper

Wow. Just watched "Ghost Protocol" again. Paula Patton was fine as hell in that one

20. RicardoCooper

Weird to see the same chicks that curved me for liking comics and sci-fi now trying to elbow their way into genre shit

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List