The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

They had the red carpet premiere of Black Panther last night and a lot of the early buzz say it lives up to the hype.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Just watched the flash and I'm curious who is writing this time deaf garbage at this point.

3. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Marvel messed up putting this movie that close to Infinity War. Having three MCU movies coming out within six months of each other doesn't seem like a good idea. They should have scheduled it to come out in November or December, after all, there aren't any MCU or Star Wars movies coming out this holiday season.

4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

I been warned folk that supergirl is a liberal show. It is the LIBERAL women that are getting trigger happy when it comes to the #MeToo movement. Watch supergirl at your own risk. lol.

5. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The Cloak and Dagger Stars showed up to the Black Panther Premiere
    [​IMG]

Olivia Holt Looking great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with her being self righteous. That's part of character. Both her and Superman. It's just not Superman or Supergirl without that personality trait. I think you're just wanting a more nuanced take on the characters. Which, looks good on paper, but doesn't really work in practice. I present MOS as evidence of that.

It was a pretty good movie. It gave a Superman with shades of grey. But, that doesn't feel like the Kryptonian most people love. At least that's how it was for me. I think the same thing of Supergirl. You take away that moral certainty, and you take away an essential part of the character. Bad part of that is that moral certainty can easily make Kal and Kara seem out of step and very boring and one dimensional for less skilled writers.

SPOILLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was rooted for the creepy guy in Black Mirror because in real life, everyone treated him like shit, but still got redeemed. Hell, his partner was sexually harassing (by the modern definitio) every girl in the office, but Daly was considered the creepy one. Why, because he eas socially awkward and meek?

He lost his actual life for what was essentially his way of fighting back against the blatant, daily disrespect from not only his employees, but the partner who, by what I could tell, was all ego and no skill.

Yes, Daly went too far and was cruel. But, you can only push someone so much before they snap. I felt like the writers just glossed over all of that. Had the crew's real life countparts not been dicks, this may never have happened.

7. The Dark King

As far as Supergirl is concerned I don't mind her being moral, the Flash is the same way and I love that show. My problem with her is the heavy handed feminism that make women unaccountable hell even Reign who we saw kill people is redeemable but for some reason Zod had to be stopped once and for all.

As far as the Black Mirror episode dude was creepy, yes people at work were a little mean but it doesn't excuse that level of cruelty. The way he was sadistic you'd think they tried to kill him in real life. Then again if a simulation keeps a would be serial killer calm then whatevs I guess.

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Meh. I don't put all those bullshit political/ideological labels on typical human behavior. People will always be loyal to whatever "tribe" that best suits them and they feel comfortable with. You can't be surprised by any show where the main protagonist is a woman and then they cater to a female audience. Same with shows with non white main protagonist or gay/lesbian main protagonist. They are going to cater to that particular demographic.

9. samson1701

But, but Reign has a child. She's a mother. Of course she's redeemable. ...lol

My point with the Black Mirror episode is I'm not sure he would've been a bad a guy had people not treated him so shitty. He could have still died at the end if he would've been given some sort of redemptive arc.

I just felt that the whole story basically said "the cool kids should be shitty to the socially awkward nerd because he's probably an asshole anyway." That just doesn't sit right with me. Had they, at least come to realize their parts in causing their predicament, I wouldn't have had such a problem with it.

Also, at the end of the day, they were just programs that he created. He never harmed, or ever tried to harm, real people.

About how long before we have to start answering these types of questions about how we use programs in real life? I give it ten to fifteen years before this actually becomes a real life moral dilemma because we've created a program (or programs) that are sentient.

I predict this will be the next big moral debate in human history. Akin to slavery and abortion. The Right will say they're not real and they don't have souls so they should have no rights. And the Left will say because they are sentient and intelligent tand able to reason, they should be granted the same basic human rights as you and I.

I truly believe we're going to see this debate sooner than later. We're in for some very interesting times.

10. samson1701

Have to admit I'm enjoying Black Lightning quite a bit. Even though I'm sick of hood stories, this is still well done. So far, better than any of the other Arrowverse shows.

The Flash has become so fucking goofy and sloppy with it's story telling, it's damn near unwatchable.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

That's because that "hood story" is grounding it & giving it more edge than the other Arrowverse shows.

The Flash officially jumped the shark with the recent "Trial of the Flash".

*SPOILER*

How dumb do you have to be to be on a jury and believe a person who works as a police CSI would be that damn sloppy if they were going to commit murder?? And why the fuck didn't he just reveal he was the Flash in the trial? All his friends and family already put themselves in harms way as is helping him fight crime, so it wouldn't be like they would be in any worst danger if he revealed is identity to the public. At the very least he should have revealed it to the police captain.

12. samson1701

Nah, for me it's not really the hood edge that's making it good. GOT has zero hood, but It's good because the characters behaviors make sense. I like the fact that they're not being sloppy with the story telling. I don't find myself asking, "Who does that?"

For the most part, Arrow use to be like that and so did The Flash. Now, it's just them throwing in whatever they need to to get from plot point to plot point. Common sense and logic be damned.

13. The Dark King

More importantly how did he get the body there? A building like that would have security footage. Where is the disabled man's wheelchair?
    And I still don't get why he didn't run?
    If he's worried about saving the city he sure as hell can't do that in jail.

14. The Dark King

Yeah like who works with people who killed your friends and family like everything is cool. Outside of maybe nuclear annihilation there's no way I'd work with the dude who murdered my mom right in front of me but then you got Oliver paling around with Slade like shit is all good. They had their run time to move on

15. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

MGM has released a new trailer for Stargate: Origins.

The 10-episode series will air on MGM’s Stargate Command digital platform. The platform already hosts Stargate, Stargate SG-1, Atlantis, Universe and movies.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

They are trying to be true to Barry Allen's character from comics ala he's always hopeful despite how bad the circumstances in any situation he finds himself in become. But they don't really need to do that however since they have pretty much established that that is who he is over the last 3 seasons. They need to now focus more on what kind of hero he is as the Flash when it comes to protecting Central City. Everyone in Central City knowing he is the Flash & fully embracing/having faith in him as the city's champion goes a long way to establishing that as well as play's to his hopeful nature of the character. He gives the city hope no matter what threats arise and the city keeps him hopeful with the faith that they give him.

17. samson1701

LOL!!!! ... That doesn't even bother me, though. Slade was under the influence of the Mirrakuroo serum when he did all of that. Otherwise, that wouldn't have happened. I can roll with that. It's comic booky as hell, but It's staying true to what can happen in that universe.

Malcolm Merlyn? Kind of works the same way. He's his sister's father. So, there's that whole good guys code of honor thing that is part and parcel of what makes these guys superheroes as opposed to just action heroes.

They're going to always give the bad guy a chance to do the right thing. Look at my boy, Batman. We all know that in anything close to real life, he should've killed the Joker long ago. ... lol

But, he doesn't. Because it's not right. And, there's always s chance the Joker can be rehabilitated. As I stated esrlier, a big part of what makes these guys super is that kind of moral certainty when it would be so much easier to just do what you or I would do.

My hang up is when they do dumb plot shit. Like have team Arrow down disband because Oli put them under servailence 'cause someone was leaking info. The fuck was he supposed to do? And, so, so much more b.s. this season. ...lol

18. The Dark King

There's being moral and then there's being completely outside the realm of humanity. Fine don't kill them but to work with them like nothing happened? Come on that's a stretch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. samson1701

But, but ... redemption! ...lol

20. samson1701

Does he still have his secret identity in the comics?