The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

DC's MILESTONE Relaunch Coming Soon Says JIM LEE

[​IMG]

DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee said that the planned relaunch and reboot of the Milestone line announced two years ago is still alive, and would be moving forward with news possibly coming in the next few months. Touched upon briefly at the "Meet the DC Co-Publishers" panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego earlier this month, this comes alongside news of Milestone's N Steven Harris drawing a new Static/Hardware illustration for September 16's MECCACon in Detroit.

Milestone Media was reformed in January 2015 by Reginald Hudlin and two of its co-founders, Denys Cowan and Derek Dingle. Later that year at 2015's SDCC, DC announced it had reached a deal with the company to once again license the Milestone IP for usage as a comic book line and in other media. Originally founded back in 1992, Milestone began publishing comics in 1993 as an imprint of DC Comics. Although DC later integrated some of Milestone's characters into DC's core superhero line (including Static in the 2011 "New 52" relaunch), Milestone retained ownership of all its characters and had merely licensed usage of the characters and the content they produced in the 1990s to DC.

"We couldn't be more proud and excited about the opportunity to bring the 'Dakota' Universe back to DC," said Lee in 2015. "This is a huge step forward for us in bringing readers a more diversified lineup as part of the new DC Universe, and we're anxiously looking forward to telling new stories that are socially and culturally impactful and representative of the world in which we live."

At the time, DC's plans were for a separate line co-existing in the broader DC Multiverse but in a separate dimension, 'Earth-M' (which Lee reconfirmed this month). There was a plan for titles including Static Shock, Icon, Rocket, and Xombi, with creators including Hudlin, Cowan, Geoff Johns, Jim Lee, Bill Sienkiewicz, Ken Lashley, and Christopher Priest. In addition to reviving Milestone characters of the past, Milestone Media said they'll also be introducing new characters and including new creators in the mix.

In July 2016, Lee told CBR that the delays were due to Hudlin's work as a filmmaker. Hudlin refuted that, however, in March 2017, saying that DC was holding up the launch but Milestone was "fixing that challenge."

Warner Bros.'s has since re-released the Static Shock animated series in two DVD sets, and Static was included in the line-up for Warner Bros.'s Young Justice: The Outsiders which is scheduled to debut in 2018.

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

"Where no woman has gone before"? Did they just forget that Voyager had a female lead?

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

No, they didn't forget. This is the first Star Trek series where the lead character (male or female) isn't the captain of a starship. I think that's what they were implying with that particular "Where no woman has gone before".

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I know they didn't actually forget, and I don't think it's about her being the first non-captain lead in the series history because DS9 already did that 25 years ago. Captain Sisko was introduced as Commander Sisko and he didn't get a ship or a promotion until the third season.

I think they just wanted to emphasize that the main character was a woman, and they didn't care if the wording was accurate or not.

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

While true about Sisko not being a captain or having an actual ship until later into the series, he's still technically regarded as "captain" of Deep Space Nine. So the long standing Star Trek tradition Captains or rather "high ranking officer" being the lead sort of fits for him.

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Trek fan. But, I just can't get excited about this. I want a Star Trek show set after TNG. I'm sick of prequels. And, I want the hopeful Utopia. Anyone, these days, can tell a dark, gritty space story. It's been done to death.

The real challenge and test of the writer's skill and creativity is to tell stories where the Federation is that perfect place. All shiny and glistening. Yet, make it interesting and compelling to modern audiences.

Trek is at it's best when it's about high minded ideals. Everything after TNG, (including DS9, as good as it was) forgot about that crucial part of that universe's mythos.

7. Soscean

Soscean Member

Batman No Longer Just A Rich Human–He’s Now Considered A Metahuman!

Suicide Squad #22
    [​IMG]

Batman has always been considered a really rich guy with some kickass abilities to… well, kickass. He is trained in just about every method of martial arts, so it’s not like he’s just a rich guy in a suit of armor or anything, he’s truly a superhero. That being said, he has always been considered just a human, which is one of the reasons why fans loved him. He was integral in establishing the Justice League meaning he was just a man who stood with giants, but that’s all about to change now that DC is considering him a member of the metahuman community.

This revelation suggests that the United States Federal Government in the DC Universe considers Batman to be a metahuman placing him alongside people like Aquaman, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, and everyone else he has stood beside all these years.

There is a reason for the justification that allows for the Dark Knight’s inclusion in the extraordinary human category and it has to do with Nth metal. Because Batman once had contact with the metal dionesium, which contains Nth metal properties, he was restored to peak condition. This interaction has made the Dark Knight a metahuman so far as the government is concerned and he isn’t the only one.

The Joker revealed that Nth metal can create unexpected changes once it enters the bloodstream and while it has only healed Batman, that doesn’t mean it won’t alter his body chemistry in other ways. The revelation of Batman’s new classification will likely join others as DC gears up to its upcoming Metal event so we might just see a few more humans gain the meta prefix as the build-up continues.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

First Official Look at Zazie Beetz as Deadpool 2's Domino

[​IMG]

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I'm probably the only "nerd" who didn't like the first Deadpool, but I'm liking the casting of the sequel. This look was a great way to go with her character.

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I don't like Deadpool as a comic character but I did like the movie however when I finally saw it.

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I used to collect his comics in the late 90's but as I've gotten older the constant quips and silly gags have become grating.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Season Three is this Friday August 4th.

13. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Studio 8 Acquires Film Rights To Black Mask Studios' Comic Book Series BLACK

[​IMG]

Deadline reports that the studio created by former Warner Bros. executives, Studio 8, has optioned one of Black Mask Studios' most recent properties for a film adaptation.

Simply titled Black, the 6-issue series created by Kwanza Osajyefo, Tim Smith and Jamal Igle tells the story of Kareem Jenkins. After surviving being shot by Brooklyn police, Jenkins discovers his hidden superpowers, and he soon learns of the many other black Americans with similar gifts and the conspiracy to contain their powers.

Of the deal, Deadline writes:
    "Studio 8 EVP Creative Jon Silk brought the project into the fold and will oversee its development with executive Rishi Rajani. Representing Black Mask as well as the Black creators, the deal was with Studio 8 negotiated by Matthew Sugarman at the L.A. office of Weintraub Tobin."

Osajyefo, a former digital editor of both Marvel and DC, and Smith will co-produce the film themselves, with Matteo Pizzolo from Black Mask also serving as a producer.

If the film is made, it will mark the first adaptation of a property from Black Mask, which began publishing comics in 2013 and was founded by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) and Brett Gurewitz, guitarist of punk rock band Bad Religion.

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Young Justice Season Three Info Bites

[​IMG]

The wait is finally nearing its end when it comes to the third season of Young Justice. DC has taken its time to bring us the show in the form of a whole new streaming service next year. This is going to lead to new possibilities for the show, which we are all sure to binge watch, while hopefully giving us the ability to go back and watch the former seasons (they are leaving Netflix very soon). The third season will be 26 episodes just like season one, so the plot will have time to develop and breathe.

Since so much time has passed since the last episodes of season two, there have been lots of theories about what will come next. At SDCC, many issues were addressed by the creators in various interviews and images that were hosted during the convention. We’re going to examine the conclusions we came away with from those discussions. We know of some of the key players, both new and old, and we also have a few good ideas of who the villains of the series will be. There are also some intriguing new dynamics due to the characters being used in the new season.

One of the biggest positives of the return of Young Justice is that the same writers and animators are still a part of the show. The vision of the show thus far and themes that were present in the first season were something unique to comic book cartoons. There is also very clearly a plan for the characters, as well as some missing time from the five years between seasons 1 and 2. Fans of the show should be relieved to know that it will continue with its tone.

There are going to be some differences in that there will likely be much more flexibility when it comes to how far writers can go with some of the concepts. With no more network suits bearing down on them about merchandise and making sure the content is kid-friendly, we may just get the best version of Young Justice to date.

The writers revealed during an interview that they kept index cards of every character they have introduced on the show and a detailed timeline featuring the history of those characters. This is what allows them to show flashbacks such as the one during season one with Red Tornado and the Justice Society.

There is a real opportunity to show the backstory of some of these characters and the heroes who inspired them. For many DC fans, history is one of the most intriguing aspects of the DC Universe. Imagine seeing the transition between the JSA and JLA, or maybe even having one of those classic Thanksgiving dinners between all of the teams, including the younger members. With no constraints on what could be used, it could be Young Justice gold.

For long-time DC fans, watching Young Justice has been a pleasure because they do an outstanding job of introducing so many great DC characters while still maintaining the focus on a smaller group as the emotional core of the show. It appears that there are multiple characters stepping up into new roles for season three.

The promotional images for season shows Static Shock, who was introduced as a runaway in season two. There will also be the full introduction of Stephanie Brown, who briefly appeared in season two as a captive of the Reach, making her Spoiler debut. Meanwhile, Bart Allen is graduating to the Kid Flash role. We’ll even get to see Cissie King as Arrowette, a comic book Young Justice favorite, after being teased very subtly in season one. It should all make for some great new drama for the cast.

Magic has been an aspect of Young Justice throughout the show’s first two seasons. Characters like Dr. Fate and Zatanna have been the focus on occasion and their spotlights have been high points for the series thus far. Another strength of the show has been its ability to find the best parts of a character and bring them to the forefront efficiently to make the character matter and viewers invested.

Traci Thirteen is a character that has a relatively short history in comics. What we know is that she has magical powers that come from her ancestry, and that she has previously had relationships with Blue Beetle and Natasha Irons. Either of those could be a part of season three, and it seemed that the creators were emphasizing Thirteen’s character as being one to watch for when things kick off.

Two of the characters in the team’s initial season three image were Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown. Many long-time comic readers will be sure to make a love connection between the two as another in a long line of romances that have made the character interactions on the show such fun to watch.

It will be interesting to see how much of Stephanie’s background is explored, considering she is the daughter of a formal low-level villain called Cluemaster. Also worth exploring will be just how connected that makes her to Gotham and the other Batman family members that are part of the Young Justice cast.

A tidbit that hasn’t gotten a lot of press coverage since SDCC is the fact that there was an image of some of the older members of the team in new black stealth costumes. Most people thought they knew who everybody in that picture was, but most people likely assumed that one of them had to be founding member Aqualad.

However, that assumption was incorrect, and the writers confirmed in an interview that was actually Jefferson Pierce, better known as Black Lightning, who is now the star of an upcoming CW series as well. The fact that he is with characters like Dick Grayson, Conner Kent and Artemis Crock in that image indicates that when these characters go undercover again, they may have a different Justice League mentor helping them deal with the threats that are presented.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

First Images of Josh Brolin's Cable for Deadpool 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. samson1701

Too small. They should've made him bulk up. I've always thought Micheal Rooker would've been a better choice.

18. samson1701

19. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Wrong team

20. samson1701

Naw, I knew what I was doing. JL would have no problem with The Mad Titan. That nicca' couldn't even handle the NYPD. ...LOL
    [​IMG]

Yup, that's right. I'm caping for the Justice League. What?!?!? ...lol

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017