The Nerdz Lounge.

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ra, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

So they are not susceptible to rust? They won't need any kind of maintenance that requires replacement parts, lube...ect?

You are watching too much r2d2

2. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

If a human mind thought the way current artificial intelligence works, said human would be autistic and possibly psychotic. That's why a lot of the people working on artificial intelligence are expanding beyond logic. They are delving into creativity and emotions. Machines aren't created in a vacuum. They are created by people, if we let our creations out of our control without the tools they need to coexist with us, then it's our fault if we get wiped out Terminator style.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I only know of two types of advanced circuitry. There is digital and there is quantum. Both are logical.

What other type of advanced circuitry is there??

You can only get logic out of a logical design.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

A mind is more than the sum of its parts. After all the human brain broken down to its basic function is just neurons sending electrical pulses through synapses. Who's to say that an artificial mind made of silicon cannot be more than ones and zeroes?

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You have over simplified the brain quite terribly. There is a lot of chemistry involved, and that's only what we do know about the brain. There is no chemistry involved in circuits. You have to know some chemistry to build it, but there are no bonding or breaking apart of atoms. You only have electron flow between like atoms. Big difference. With that said we still have more to learn about the brain.

6. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Focusing on the semantics of my obvious oversimplification just obfuscates my point. So I'll say it again, a mind is more than the sum of its parts.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Even if robots/artificial intelligence didn't directly turn against humanity, we as a species would find a way to use them/it to oppress or do harm to each other before any over all good could be achieved. Too many people are focused on their own self interests over that of the interests of humanity as a whole.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

This may be true for a human mind but computer processors are just that: a sum of their parts. The number and size of the transistors directly affect clock speed and power efficiency.

Furthermore you can't say that it can be more than ones and zeros when that's all it responds to. What else are you going to feed to it? Lol

Maybe your decision to compare a human mind to an "artificial mind" wasn't such a good idea.

If we are going to have emotional AI one day, we have to start from ground zero. So far there hasn't been an ounce of progress toward such a goal. Currently the brains of machines ONLY process logic.

In short your idea of emotional AI is currently science fiction.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Seriously? you thought I was talking about current technology? It wasn't obvious from the beginning that this was a discussion about theoretical ideas?

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Theoretical and science fiction are two very different things.

Theoretical implies that current knowledge of tech is relevant because we would be speculating on future possibilities based on current knowledge. Sci-fi is mostly imagination.

You didn't think I was being practical when I asked you If there were other advanced circuits other than digital and quantum? Lol

If we are talking science fiction it's all imagination anyway, why would I even disagree on anything other than battles between comic book characters?

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

You sure like your semantics, don't you? lol Anyway, it's been a fun discussion.

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You look like a superman fan. Iron man would kick his ass. So take that. Lol

13. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Timmverse versions of Icon and Hardware.

[​IMG]

14. samson1701

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. samson1701

Well, to be fair, in the comics she is more powerful than Superman at times. There's a whole explanation why. I just don't have time to Google it. ...lol

I'm more pissed at them sidelining Jimmy in the last EP. Dafuq was that about? everyone else is out saving people, except Guardian.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  16. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Well you know any screen time with the black guy is unacceptable apparently.

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Batman Proposes to Catwoman

[​IMG]

The final pages of 2011’s Catwoman #1 featured a controversial scene in which the title character has rooftop sex with Batman in full (OK, partial) costume. But while that encounter was pilloried by fans as tawdry and unnecessary, that latest twist in the iconic relationship will likely be met with enthusiasm.

In the recently released Batman #24, Tom King and David Finch have returned the pair to the rooftops of Gotham City for another extremely personal encounter, albeit one of a less carnal variety. Simply put: Batman has proposed to Catwoman.

It’s a development that’s been teased for decades, and in fact has already been a reality in an alternate reality or two. But even in a series that has been filled with character-altering revelations for the Dark Knight and his wide-ranging cast of supporting characters, the idea of a married (or engaged, at least) Batman may be the most shocking, if not significant, change to date.

Of course, as surprising as this moment is, this isn’t a development that comes out of nowhere. Not only has King been scaling up Batman and Catwoman’s romantic relationship in recent months, the pair have long had an on-again / off-again thing going on to various degrees for decades, well before they hooked up nearly six years ago. Over the course of 22 issues, King has made it a point to place the two back into each other’s orbit, literally placing their lives in each other’s hands. In fact, Batman has gone a step further, making it clear that when push comes to shove he has more faith in Selina Kyle than virtually any of his other Bat-family members, trusting her with their lives in addition to his own.

Since Bruce finally had the chance to meet his father as an adult, albeit a Thomas Wayne from another dimension aka Flashpoint Batman, in the recently concluded, Watchmen-fueled storyline “The Button,” it’s seemed as though he was at a crossroads. As Thomas sacrificed himself to save the son he might have raised, the words “Don’t be Batman” echoed in Bruce’s ears, though the next piece of advice appears to have stuck an even stronger chord: “Find happiness.” Heartfelt advice countless parents have passed onto their children over the centuries, and though Bruce has heard it many times from Alfred, hearing it from his father’s lips appear to be the final push Bruce needed to listen.

18. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Nope

19. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Uh...you can see WW whenever you want, who's stopping you.

20. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That's like telling someone after they built a house. Hey you can't live love her but you can live anywhere else you want who's stopping you.
    I say it all the time they did a wonderful job of teaching me about fairness and equality so when I see something unfair I speak up about. Just like feminists have been teaching us to do my entire life.