The Lack Of Private Messaging

Discussion in 'General Site Information - Guidelines' started by Complex, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Complex

Complex New Member

Right!

It is standard for VBulletin to offer Private Messaging amongst members. I've noticed this feature is disabled.

What are reasons behind not offering Private Messaging on this forum?

Cheers!

2. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

3. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

idea:smt115you can always invite someone to meet you in chat...if others join you during a private conversation you can have a private cyber chat that only you and that person can see...well i guess webbie can also see what you wrote as well but i think he is pretty good at keeping secrets...if i was him i think i would be tempted to write a book...

4. Complex

Complex New Member

Cheers for the replies.

I did not see any particular reason why such a feature is disabled. Vbulletin offers every member the option to disable pm messaging if he or she chooses so. That would eliminate the hate mail from those who register solely to insult another member.

Chat rooms are not helpful if the person you are looking for does not participate there.

Surely, if someone takes it upon himself or herself to join “your friends list”, there should be a means of contact between two parties where both can exchange thoughts on a particular subject at hand.

Webmasters, & Moderators reading your PM Messages should not be an issue unless you are getting too personal with your thoughts in which, you should exchange phone numbers to delve into something a little more in-depth and, not keep it available on the Internet for the whole world to see.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  5. Max Mosley

Max Mosley Well-Known Member

Ive learned that the rep feature can be used as a private message. :)

6. Arwen

Arwen New Member

yes, but you can use it only once every while. :(

7. curleyblonde

curleyblonde New Member

Yes I find that frustrating that I can't add rep to someone when it is deserved because I already have given them one and it says you have to spread the rep around:smt026...

8. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Yes, that is quite annoying!!

If Private Messenging can be turned off by the user, why can't we have it then? :D

9. Brittney

I'm with curleyblonde and Bookworm!

10. chicity

chicity New Member

The techhead side of me thinks pm boxes are manageable enough that it makes sense to enable them, and makes me want to lend a vote that way.

The still-new-enough-to-be-a-total-outsider-here side of me is partly convinced that if the regulars here get pm boxes, you all will talk to each other so much via pm that you'll stop posting publicly on the board all together. :(

lol

11. Brittney

Hmm, I never though of that. But hey, if that happens then people wouldn't have to sort through so much...whatever you want to call it either.

12. Stheno

Stheno New Member

well can always be new people have to have an amount of post before be able to have pm like lets say 1000 post or more this can solve a lot :D if someone can stay here after a while to just send rude msg then they are idiots and have no life lol

this way everyone can have the pm just need to reach the post they need

13. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

That's a good idea....I also meant to say that there should be a probationary period of a month or two, to ensure that you aren't a troll, before you get access to private messenging.

As for regulars talking to each other, we can all do that through IM on other sites. We still post! ;)

14. webmaster

webmaster Administrator Staff Member

Yes, there will be criteria for gaining PM access, but it will be a combination of things. There is a new plugin being written that will accomplish all that, but it's still being debugged. It combines reputation, post count, thread ratings, etc. to come up with a score.

I didn't want it to be based on one thing that people can easily manipulate, like post count. Then you'd end up with tons of posts that aren't relevant to the discussions.

15. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

You mean like this post right here that I just did?:smt042

16. Stheno

Stheno New Member

yes i know what you mean but you say that people will post just to get the post count up but already they doing it with the reputation giving just for that reason, also you mension the thread ratings hmm this can be manipulate too people rating their friends thread so really even with all this you can never stop that what will happen is people that are good and dont get many reputation or they dont have friends will never get the pm .. i dont think will be fair

17. webmaster

It will be fair. I'm on top of it.

18. z

z Well-Known Member

That is good to know, boss.

19. Raul Sinclair

Raul Sinclair New Member

Please put a private IM back......

20. webmaster

I don't believe it was ever turned on. It was only something being considered for members who meet certain criteria.