The Christmas Thread

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bug, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Favourite stuff about Christmas?
    Or least Favourite stuff whatever floats your boat.

It could be about what you do over the Christmas period, visiting relatives, buying gifts, It can be particular images or a Christmas past that you can't recreate again as they are too special.

I personally love the shopping act, ie especially finding just the right gift for someone special and the kids.

I'd love some funny stories too if you have them.

In christmas 96 I got some pretty terrible gifts (imo then) I asked for a waterproof sports watch and got a gold link watch and I asked for a decent walkman (for use while on my bike) and got a sony personal cd player with NO ANTISHOCK! personal cd players were useless then for moving about with hence why i asked for the walkman cassette.
    Anyway long story short I had a face as long as a donkeys ding dong for most of the day.

Then in the evening I was asked to make a coffee for the adults and my dear old Nan served everything with a saucer then, I brought Nans out fine, I brought my elder sisters out fine barely a rattle, then I brought my Mums out and I dropped it (let me say it WAS an accident) even so It did end up scalding her leg :(

Now obviously every christmas we have the Christmas joke of I hope F got what she wanted this year as I don't fancy being scalded "queue raucous family laughter"

Here is a pic of my Village Church's nativity scene, which is quite rare to see here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

We always drive around and look at Christmas lights. That's long been a favorite tradition.

3. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Ahh I bet you have some gooduns where you are, there is a house by my Mums which happens to be by the newsagents so we gawk at that one a lot lol he even has music playing (bit annoying though, the music) kids love it.

And as I was driving into my village the other night, I noticed one of the big bungalows has a massive display but we will have to walk and look at that one as its in an awkward spot and its set back far from the road.

4. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

We do have some cool displays! I'm not a fan of the new LED lights, though. They're too harsh. I'm an admitted tiny white lights fan, but I do enjoy displays with the colored lights, too. Especially the big, vintage bulbs which are disappearing.

5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Festoon lights arent as cheap as Led lights now, hence why the are few and far between now.

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

This is the kind I was talking about: [​IMG]

7. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

yep festoon lights, thats quality lighting that can be dragged out for 20years and still work lol the trick is finding the bulbs my company used to hire these in the longer lengths and even then we had to replace bulbs by going to maplins so not ur average diy store stock here.

8. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Oh, I thought festoon lights were the round ones? My ex's parents gave us a set of blue lights our first Christmas because they wanted to switch to red. I'm ashamed to say that we never used them and eventually threw them out. I wasn't the vintage/retro/antique buff that I am now. Ergghh.

9. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Remember these? Imma find me one....

[​IMG]

And I'm on the hunt for more of these. I have one:

[​IMG]

10. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

we pride ourselves on being the "inflatable" house...increased traffic down our street...people stop and takes pictures...my neighbors hate it...so I buy more every year...lmao

the big joke in our family is my dad and the cranberry sauce...we will have cranberry sauce with ever meal until it is gone...that stuff never goes bad...lol...don't waste the leftovers!

11. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Well the festoon refers to the cable and not really the bulb ie a garland of lighting, true the bulbous bulbs are also festoons but the fitment they go into is the same festoon lighting. Well here they are or should I say they used to be.

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Oh Lord, not the inflatables!!! During the day, people's yards look like a rubber graveyard! Lol.

We used to do the same with cranberry sauce growing up.

13. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

OK, I gotcha.

14. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

we leave them on day and night...i suck up the electric bill for the children...man they love them...

now we did get 10 inches of snow overnight early last week so they are not even up yet...we are hoping to get a couple more nice days this week to melt off the snow so we can get them out...otherwise we might have to anchor a few to the roof

15. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I'm stuck on "10 inches of snow." Can't even remember what the rest of your post said. :|

16. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Up in the day time!! that is definitely a luxury display you have there my Sash would love it :D

17. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

overnight we got 10 inches...it came fast and furious...schools closed...they only plowed main roads...I was out with no coat the night before...completely dry roads and woke up to not being able to open my back door...

18. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Polar Bears...Penquins...Santa & Mrs. Clause...trees...Santa Sleigh and reindeer...Frosty :D ...we must have a dozen of them...if my son get's them up I will post a picture...

19. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

If they go up I would love... to see a picture, so would Sash.

Ohhhh I feel all Christmassy and warm now :D

20. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Ugh. I dread it. Lol.

Ya gotta post a picture!!

One thing I enjoyed at Christmas when I was a kid was going to church on Christmas eve and then to my grandmother's. She would always make us spiced hot cranberry juice. When I got older, I really liked going to the midnight service. Ringing in Christmas with a bunch of people. Not many churches seem to do the late service here any more.