The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

:( So sad. Tributes to him have been in all my FB Feeds..paid my humble respects. We lost a Warrior today.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Thought I"d post this here too..

The picture-taker posted this photo saying...

"My dog made a new friend at the beach today"
    [​IMG]

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Say No To Dog Meat

Sharing...
    GLOBAL MARCH

Join our Global March, 10:00am*Saturday April 4.*Its time to end the cruelty!
    Email us at:CONTACT@SAYNOTODOGMEAT.INFO for info about a march nearest your location.
    [Please be patient – all emails will be answered. ]

http://saynotodogmeat.net/2015/03/15/vietnam-little-girls-pet-dog-now-dog-meat/

*Note: link has pic of deceased dog, however the story is powerful and explains why this march is necessary.

4. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Aww...so touching :heart:

5. Unique4ever

This made my heart melt so I thought I need to share it.
    Every animal has it's own personality.
    It's just not fair that we treat some as friends and others as food....

[YOUTUBE]G48vC72dEM4[/YOUTUBE]

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Eating LAMB,as you know, is entrenched in my culture.
    I remember going to my relative's farm or home, and they would slaughter the lamb and put it on the spit and we would eat it.
    Not until I evolved mentally, and became CONSCIOUSLY aware, did I learn and understand how morally wrong it is to eat a baby animal. It wasn't like we were starving for food - there was plenty of food available on the farm, but we ate it because it was tradition to, culturally entrenched, and food conditioning, and that's all it is.

*Edit: This tragic pic in the link has haunted me for months, and l keep it as a reminder of cruel reality and why l continue to soeak out..
    http://oi59.tinypic.com/10zmf04.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  7. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

so cute...lamb off the list

you keep this up unique and i will be a vegan;)

just read a story about all of the wild horses they are sending to slaughter in wyoming...cruel...why not just castrate and lower the population...damn ranchers and politicians:(

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

1st world problems

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Wrong

http://www.globalissues.org/article/240/beef

Some excerpts..

Consider the following (notes for stats are at the bottom of the page):

More than one third of the world’s grain harvest is used to feed livestock.

*1Breaking that down a little bit*....

2Almost all rice is consumed by peopleWhile corn is a staple food in many Latin American and Sub-Saharan countries, “worldwide, it is used largely as feed.

”Wheat is more evenly divided between food and feed and is a staple food in many regions such as the West, China and India.

The total cattle population for the world is approximately 1.3 billion occupying some 24% of the land of the planet

*3Some 70 to 80% of grain produced in the United States is fed to livestock <~

*4Half the water consumed in the U.S. is used to grow grain for cattle feed.*5A gallon of gasoline is required to produce a pound of grain-fed beef.*

10. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Great stats...I have been thinking about it for awhile now...I think that I am going to make some cuts in what I eat...Iay still eat fish as long as it is wild caught...farm raised is full of hormones...I need to start buying organic chicken and pay the price...

BTW...I saw your lovely avatars yesterday ....so gorgeous :smt103

11. Unique4ever

12. Unique4ever

LOL, I will do my best :freehug: ;)

13. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You do what you can, where you can, when you can.

Thanks luv.;) l put it away in profile because frankly, l post actively and definitely don't want to see my face all over the forum, gawd, lol.

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  15. Unique4ever

Ha, you know I had to lurk you beautiful woman you.
    What a stunner :smt060

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

:freehug:
    Side note:You know, etting to know you more these last few months has been awesome. Same with Lippy. Great women!

17. Unique4ever

The feeling is soooo mutual :smt058

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

What do you think of this strange story? I'm conflicted. ..

Woman charged with killing hunter's falcon to save duck

Associated Press
    51 minutes ago

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) — An Idaho woman faces charges after authorities say she beat a hunter's falcon to death with a beaded scarf after seeing the bird of prey take down a duck.

Patti MacDonald, 60, of Hauser, was charged with a misdemeanor count of beating or harassing an animal, the Coeur d'Alene Press reported (http://bit.ly/1EVs0LB ).

Authorities say MacDonald fractured the skull of the 8-year-old falcon named Hornet on Jan. 7. The duck also died and was being stored as evidence, Idaho Fish and Game said.

Hornet's owner, Scott Dinger, said MacDonald should be charged with killing a protected species.

He said he was about 500 yards away when Hornet made a successful attack and landed with the duck. He said he was approaching the spot then he saw a red Jeep Wrangler pull up to the side of the road, and Hornet flew away but appeared injured.

Dinger said the woman told him she beat the bird, which had been with humans since the day it was hatched.

"So they don't really know they are falcons," Dinger said. "That was probably a part of his undoing, because you could walk up to him and he wouldn't fly or try to get away."

Craig Walker, a regional conservation officer for Idaho Fish and Game, said he later received an anonymous call from a woman saying she tried to save a duck from a falcon. The phone system identified the caller as MacDonald.

Walker wrote in his report that the woman stated "that she had been very upset about the duck being injured, but felt bad about injuring someone's pet."

Kootenai County Prosecutor Barry McHugh said he reviewed Walker's report and determined the misdemeanor charge was appropriate. Beating or harassing an animal is punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $5,000 for a first-time offender.

No phone listing could be listed for MacDonald to try to reach her for comment Monday.

Dinger said it was tough to accept what happened because his bird was 8 years old, and falcons can live for about 30 years when they're with humans.

"I had planned for Hornet to live longer than me," Dinger said.