The animal awareness thread

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by Unique4ever, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

I guess you already noticed that I have a huge heart for animals.
    Since I don't want to create a new thread every time I feel like sharing something I read, I decided to create a new thread:

A thread for all kind of stories or videos about:
    animal rescue, anti hunting, anti trapping, stories about how smart wild animals are, cute pet videos etc.

Please no stupid comments about how tasty some animals are or other negative provoking posts.
    This is supposed to be a positive thread.

Thank you!

2. Unique4ever

[YOUTUBE]uUxLlVUVxIY[/YOUTUBE]

3. Unique4ever

[YOUTUBE]1okTecIZBn4[/YOUTUBE]

4. Unique4ever

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

Captain Paul Watson

[YOUTUBE]Zjm3Yuwh5TI[/YOUTUBE]

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Beagles rescued from Bankrupt Animal experimentation lab

They have NEVER been outside. They don't really know what being a dog is. They have new lives now..:heart:

[HDYT]UpFKo2di5Nc[/HDYT]

Published on Jul 3, 2013
    90 Beagles from an animal experimentation laboratory leave small cages and step onto grass for the first time at the Pets Alive no-kill animal shelter, during Independence Day weekend.

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Beautiful first-time bonding captured <3

[HDYT]h352ubY-lW8[/HDYT] :heart:

(ps: she hugs her daddy first)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  8. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]eKVccBy56nc[/YOUTUBE]

9. Unique4ever

OMG Bliss, this video gave me goosebumps and caused some tears.
    Thank you so much for sharing. I wish more of those poor animals who suffered could be freed for a better life :heart::heart:

10. Unique4ever

Thank you Bliss, Tarshi and North for those videos.
    Oh, what have I gotten myself into with this thread?

I will not be able to access this thread anymore before removing any eye make up that is not water proof....:D

11. Unique4ever

How amazing:

[​IMG]

India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons, whose rights to life and liberty must be respected. Dolphin parks that were being built across the country will instead be shut down.

India's Ministry of Environment and Forests has advised state governments to ban dolphinariums and other commercial entertainment that involves the capture and confinement of cetacean species such as orcas and bottlenose dolphins. In a statement, the government said research had clearly established cetaceans are highly intelligent and sensitive, and that dolphins "should be seen as 'non-human persons' and as such should have their own specific rights."

:smt026 :smt038 This makes me extremely happy !!!

12. Unique4ever

Dolphins Talk Like Humans

[​IMG]

- Dolphins produce sounds much as humans do, and don't whistle as was previously thought.

- All toothed whales probably communicate in a similar way, since they have anatomy comparable to that of dolphins.

-The hope is humans will eventually be able to understand and possibly even communicate with dolphins.

Dolphins do not whistle, but instead "talk" to each other using a process very similar to the way that humans communicate, according to a new study.

While many dolphin calls sound like whistles, the study found the sounds are produced by tissue vibrations analogous to the operation of vocal folds by humans and many other land-based animals.

Communicating similar to the way that humans do solves what would otherwise be a major dolphin problem.

"When we or animals are whistling, the tune is defined by the resonance frequency of some air cavity," said Peter Madsen, lead author of the research appearing in Royal Society Biology Letters."The problem is that when dolphins dive, their air cavities are compressed due to the increasing ambient pressure, which means that they would produce a higher and higher pitch the deeper they dive if they actually whistle."

In terms of what the dolphins are communicating, it's known they share information about their identity, helping them to stay connected even while traveling in vast bodies of water.

As for actual whistling, dolphins can be trained to do it, just as humans sometimes whistle for fun, but Madsen doesn't "think they do it in the wild, because they have evolved a much more effective way to make the same sound."

13. Unique4ever

Join Empty the Tanks Day Near You

All around the world, on July 27th, groups will be holding events in front of dolphinariums, urging the tanks be emptied and the dolphins be returned to the sea.

Go to the website for Empty the Tanks for information on events near you.

http://www.emptythetanksworldwide.com/

The Earth Island gang will be attending the upcoming Empty the Tanks event in front of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, CA. Six Flags is notorious for having been the last dolphinarium to try to import dolphins (false killer whales) from the Taiji, Japan, dolphin slaughter in 1993. You can get more information about the event here on the Facebook Page.

There will be protests in front of just about every major dolphinarium in the US, and quite a few around the world.

The events will coincide with the release of the new documentary on SeaWorld’s orcas, Blackfish. The film is getting rave reviews and will be in theaters in the US on July 19th. For more information on Blackfish: http://www.magpictures.com/blackfish/

We hope to see you there in front of a dolphinarium on July 27th for the dolphins!

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Yay for the Dolphies!!!! ^^^

Sam Simon, 'The Simpsons' Co-Creator Dying From Cancer, To Donate Fortune To Charity

I feel so bad for him that his life is about to end abruptly :( but love him very much for the legacy he is leaving.. :heart: God Bless you, Sam....

[​IMG]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...fortune_n_3659809.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

15. Unique4ever

16. Unique4ever

Man hits raccoon with 2x4 in video, raccoon dies

WHAT A USELESS PIECE OF SHIT :smt093

http://www.local10.com/news/man-hit...deo/-/1717324/21132970/-/cx0ha7z/-/index.html

Judge sets bond at $25K for man accused of attacking raccoon
    Joseph Amico charged with animal cruelty.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -

A 26-year-old man who was arrested in connection with a video showing a raccoon being struck with a two-by-four faced a judge Thursday morning.

"This appears to be extremely cruel, gratuitous violence toward the animal," said Broward Circuit Court Judge John Hurley.

Hurley was clearly disturbed by the allegations, and he hadn't even seen the video.

Police on Wednesday charged Joseph Amico with animal cruelty.

The incident happened in the 6800 block of N. State Road 7. The video showed the raccoon come out from under a dumpster and reach out for food. Police said Amico then hit the raccoon. After the hit, the stunned animal scurried into the garbage and died.

"It (the arrest affidavit) says the animal never attacked you, the animal never came at you," Broward Circuit Court Judge John Hurley said Thursday morning during a bond hearing. "And, it says at some point, you took a swing at the raccoon with a two-by-four, fracturing its skull, and causing it to die a slow, painful death."

Hurley raised Amico's bond to $25,000 after noting his criminal history, which included prison time for burglary and drug trafficking.

"It was just one time. All charges ran concurrent," Amico told Hurley.

"I'm sorry. Two separate cases. You went to prison one time," Hurley replied before raising the bond.

"Based on your criminal record and the level of violence, most likely you'll go back to prison if convicted on this," Hurley said.

On Wednesday, another raccoon found in the same dumpster was trapped and released.

17. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Excellent news

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Nothing breaks my heart more (other than child and elderly abuse), than animal abuse/cruelty/murder. I can't explain the emotions I feel. May he be bankrupt and cursed for ever!
    BTW, had that been me (the reporter), and the skank bitch hoe slutbag drunk-druggie POS woman of the dirt-bag prick killer of a defenseless raccoon, shoved me like she did the reporter? She'd have no teeth left. And I'd dump the same 2x4 on her and say 'it's not a big deal, right?" Fucken biyatch.

19. Unique4ever

To watch the video was horrible, I'm glad they took out the hitting part.
    This little Raccoon was begging for food and didn't attack that mf.
    He was looking so cute. Maybe he was used to being fed by humans.
    Looking at the behaviour of the mother is saying enough about the upbringing of this bastard.
    Hope he goes to prison and gets what he deserves from his new friend Bubba.

20. Unique4ever

How One Family Went From SeaWorld Fans to Foes in a Single Show

[YOUTUBE]vLnGBK7O7KI[/YOUTUBE]

Last Saturday, when Carlo De Leonibus and his wife took their daughter, Cat, to SeaWorld Orlando for her 11th birthday, they expected yet another exciting afternoon of whale and dolphin watching. SeaWorld was a regular destination for the Tampa-area family, and it had inspired young Cat to become a dolphin trainer when she grew up.

But after what they witnessed at Whale and Dolphin Stadium, Cat’s career plans have changed, and her family will not be returning to SeaWorld.

The show was a sort of low-rent version of Cirque du Soleil starring dolphins, short-finned pilot whales (members of the dolphin family), and tropical birds. In the midst of the entertainment, one of the small whales leapt up onto the “slide-out” area, where it became beached and unable to move back into the pool.

It was an ugly sight: The whale rocked and writhed, vainly trying to push itself back to the water. Many in the audience began shouting and even swearing, demanding that someone on staff do something to assist the poor animal that was clearly in distress.

They waited and waited, but to De Leonibus’ astonishment, no one intervened, he tells TakePart in an exclusive interview. “The crowd was extremely furious. People were stomping their feet. Everyone wanted that dolphin to be helped,” De Leonibus recalls. “One man said he was going to go protest outside the park’s gates.”

De Leonibus had seen enough. The struggling pilot whale had been stuck for at least 10 minutes, he estimates, “though my wife and daughter think it was more like 20 minutes.”

The distraught father went to confront a nearby staffer, who “said everything was just fine, the dolphin was just playing,” he recalls. The worker casually told him, “We teach them to do that, to roll back in the water themselves.” But De Leonibus says, “He wasn’t even looking at the animal.”

De Leonibus was stunned by the ho-hum attitude of the staff. “They were laughing and smirking at our concern,” he says. “They acted like this is what dolphins do all the time.”

That’s when he returned to the stands, picked up his camera, and began recording the pathetic scene. His video (above), complete with the cries of a freaked-out audience, is now on YouTube with 18,413 views and counting.

“The dolphin! He’s stuck!” someone can be heard screaming. As the screaming continued and the whale floundered and flailed, the video shows other pilot whales make futile attempts to liberate their marooned tank-mate.

A thunderstorm was barreling in and the show was postponed. The crowd waited for it to pass. Another 10 minutes or so elapsed before two trainers finally walked over and pushed the whale back in the water, De Leonibus says. According to that account, the animal spent about 20 to 30 minutes in a stranded position.

Meanwhile, young Cat was growing more upset by the moment.

“I went up to where it was and began screaming at a trainer to help the dolphin,” she tells TakePart. “He said they leave them there to learn how to get down, but the dolphin was still stuck after 30 minutes and people were screaming louder and harder. I felt so bad for the dolphin, and kept pointing it out, but he wouldn’t listen. He told my dad, ‘We can’t do anything about it.’ ”

The family did not wait out the storm. They walked out, never to return. It left an indelible impact on the birthday girl. “I wanted to train dolphins and work with them. They are my favorite animals. They’re smart and seem really nice,” she says. But after this incident, “I would not go work for SeaWorld.”

Full article:

http://www.takepart.com/article/201...outube?cmpid=tpanimals-eml-2013-07-29-dolphin