Terry Crews captures why sexual assault survivors don't come forward

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Loki, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

While I applaud his intelligence and restraint in the face of being sexually assaulted (some hollywood exec grabbed his crotch right in front of Crew's wife), I must say its a DAMN shame that Black men (or anyone for that matter) have to worry about going to jail, if he did what he wanted to do and beat his assaulter into a stain on the carpet...

http://www.conchovalleyhomepage.com...assault-survivors-dont-come-forward/832748943

"Actor Terry Crews said he understands why women are reluctant to raise sexual harassment allegations against Hollywood power brokers like Harvey Weinstein.

Why does he get it? "Because this kind of thing happened to ME," Crews said Tuesday.

As misconduct allegations mount against Weinstein, Crews became the latest celebrity to come forward with similar claims against another Hollywood executive. In sharing his story, Crews called attention to the power dynamic that he said keeps sexual assault survivors from speaking up.

Crews said his piece on Twitter, hours after an explosive New Yorker magazine story alleged that Weinstein had raped multiple women. The report included new allegations of harassment and other improper behavior. A spokeswoman for Weinstein denied the rape allegations in a statement to CNN. "Any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr. Weinstein," the statement read. "Mr. Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances."

Crews -- known for his roles on "Everybody Hates Chris" and "Brooklyn Nine-Nine" -- did not name the "high level Hollywood executive" whom he accused of groping him at an industry event in 2016. He thought about challenging him until he considered the possible headlines on the incident: "240 lbs. Black Man stomps out Hollywood Honcho," he surmised. "Only I probably wouldn't have been able to read it because I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left."

Crews said he talked to people who worked with the executive. The next day, the executive called Crews to apologize, "but never really explained why he did what he did," Crews said.

"I decided not to take it further because I didn't want to be ostracized -- par for the course when the predator has power and influence," he said on Twitter.

"I let it go. And I understand why many women who this happens to let it go," he continued, laying out the potential scenario:

"Who's going to believe you? Few.

"What are the repercussions? Many.

"Do you want 2 work again? Yes.

"Are you prepared to be ostracized? No."

2. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

3. Rochiebabes86

Rochiebabes86 Well-Known Member

Ehh not the place

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  4. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Dude am I the only person in America who has NOT been inappropriately touched? I mean really

5. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

This among many other reasons is why many men stay silent. Not to mention the onslaught of those who assume you want it, or if the perp is a woman foing it to a man. It's pretty terrible.

6. meowkittenmeow

[QUOTE="Rochiebabes86, post: 1070...[/QUOTE]
    This post isn't very appropriate considering the subject matter.

7. Rochiebabes86

True, it takes someone comfortable in themselves like Terry to speak out. Brave man

8. Rochiebabes86

Fixed

9. meowkittenmeow

There is quite a bit more too it than that, but I understand what you are trying to say.

10. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Coming forward about things like this is very brave. And I do understand the repercussions for that action.

When George Michael was arrested in the bathroom sting, he claimed that the undercover officer didn't bust him until after the two had their fun. George Michael thought that if the undercover officer was who he said he was, he would've been arrested before anything happened between them.

I remember a guy whom I once worked with years ago. He was found in the men's bathroom. It was reported that he his pants were down and he had multiple bruises to his face. He looked scared. He said that he was attacked and raped by two men. He identified them. I was shocked at whom he picked out of the lineup. One of the attackers was a guy that I had seen before. The alleged attacker worked at a shop called Open Country. I had seen this guy follow men into the men's bathroom. He was questioned about the incident and later released. The victim quit the job and was never seen again. The alleged attacker returned to his job. Business as usual.

11. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Truth.

12. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

It's happened to me. But, thankfully, not by a man.

If things happened the way he said they did, him coming forward is a huge step. But, because he doesn't name anyone, it may just end up being a footnote rather than a story.

13. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Based upon how the victim gets treated... It's totally understandable why many don't come forward. It's also very sad.

14. K

K Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be a man assaulting another man. We've had this discussion before on this site and hasn't gone very well. I know men who were told to do this or that and threatened if they didn't that the tiny little (white) female would tell this or that person and/or file charges (various charges).

15. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

This is increasingly understandable. You speavk up, you risk losing your career. What do you do?

It's way worse that, as a Black man, you risk jail of worse for defending yourself.

16. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

If you are a somewhat decent looking person, expect to be sexually assaulted a couple times in life.

[​IMG]

Cold truth and reality of the world we live in.

The hotel industry tends to attract homosexual men so I've experienced many unwanted advances. This one dude was super extra with it but I only put up with it because I was doing dirt hoping he wouldn't snitch.

Women are very touchy feely too. Always wanting hugs and shit.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The thought of possibly being sexually assaulted by men is some sobering shit. I remember walking through peidmont park in Atlanta on the way back home when I noticed two white dudes built like wrestlers having sex in the park.

I'm more of a Kimbo Slice style boxer and the thought of possibly having to fight two wrestlers to literally save my ass was sobering. Luckily they didn't see me, I passed by them in stealth mode.

18. medullaslashin

medullaslashin Well-Known Member

I was sexually "assaulted" a few times when I was younger...

Once on the subway, I'm leaning on the door and a white chick, talking to her gf, just basically lays on me. We rode like that until they got off... Didn't think anything of it. If I had crept up on her ass like that, it would've been "sexual assault", so I'm counting that one.

Another time, I'm walking along and a white chick just comes up to me... Before I know it, not a word, and we're kissing... Her girlfriends are there too, and they're all black. For some reason, I just kept walking after. Didn't think anything of it.

Another time, a black chick kinda caressed my ass on the subway. Kinda ran her hand up the crack, like a dude might do to a girl. I look back, she's smiling at me. I smile and walk away (if I remember correctly). Didn't think anything of it. I was a good-looking dude when I was younger and those were different times. Chicks used to literally throw themselves at me (and I know the meaning of "literally"... It happened!) I didn't have much "game" but shit -- I didn't need it! :D

...Then there was the time that I'm on the subway and two white guys get on. I feel someone touch my ass. I'm holding a few CDs in a bag from the record store. (Remember record stores?) I swing and hit the dude with the CD edges. Bright red blood trickles down the bridge of his nose. The train is crowded (weekend evening) and I'm in the middle of an incident. Dude says he didn't touch me. Next stop, I escape into the darkness of the ghetto, back when 135 was ghetto... (Not sure if it still is...) If I remember right, the conductor was radioing the incident at the time... Could've gotten arrested, ruining my pristine record... but I'm good.

Another time, a dude at work inexplicably smacks me on the ass. I look at him and he just grins. Thinking back on it now, I think the dude might've been gay. Who wants their hand anywhere near another dude's ass? Plus he was a confirmed bachelor... No mention of a gf... White-collar black dude... All that together makes me think he might've been gay.

...So those are all the times your friend medulla has been "sexually assaulted". I hope you enjoyed (but not too much... :cool:)

P.S. -- Message to the white chicks here: Imagine if terry crews had been humiliated like that and HADN'T subsequently become rich and famous? Now you see how "black rage" accumulates in dudes... Taking a steady "snow" of humiliations and micro-aggressions from bullies in anticipation that things will be better later in life (which never materializes) will do that to you. Many also take the shit because they know if they let loose, someone is going to die (and it could be them, so why not kill the bully?...) I think Crews even gets into that aspect -- not wanting to throw away his future. Black men walk a tight rope. We're often very patient with fools -- sometimes too patient. Sometimes the anger comes out on each other.

Many black men take indignities they never talk about (in spite of so many assholes saying that all we ever do is whine)... Not sexual assault, but other frustrating, insulting and hurtful shit coming from all angles. We just try to put shit behind us and not constantly "relive" and dwell on shit. Just putting that out there, for your insight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

20. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member