Study says Millennials are living with parents in large numbers, would you do it?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by goodlove8, Oct 30, 2016.

1. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Http:www.time.com/4108515/millennials-live-at-home-parents/

More young adults are living with their parents than at any time since 1940, according to new data. And for today’s millennials, it means that more than a third of young women and almost half of young men will have to say a sad goodbye to that dream of the Rachel-and-Monica-loft from Friends.

The Pew Research Center data shows that about 36% of women and 48% of men ages 18-34 lived with their families in 1940. Young people started moving out mid-century as they became more economically independentt
    , and by 1960 only 24% of young adults total—men and women—were living with mom and dad. But that number has been rising ever since, and in 2014, the number of young women living with their parents eclipsed 1940s—albeit by less than a percentage point. And last year 43% of young men were living at home, which is the highest rate since 1940. There isn’t comparable data for the number of young people living at home before 1940.

The large number of young men living at home can be largely attributed to economic factors. In 1940, many young men were staying in the nest because of the lingering effects of the Great Depression. But for women, the reasons for staying at home are very different. Young women in 1940 were less likely to go to college, and often stayed in their parents’ house until they got married—but they usually got married much earlier. In 1940, 62% of young women were married; in 2013, it was 13%. Back then, the average age at first marriage was between 21 and 22; today, it’s 27.

Ironically, increased college education and later marriages might explain why more women are living at home. Women are five times more likely to go to college today than they were in 1940, but college is also much more expensive than it was then—and many college students may choose to stay with their parents to offset rising college costs. In 2014, 45% of women college students lived with their parents, according to Pew, compared to 33% of non-students.

---------------------------------+-+-+

Would you live with your parents?

2. If I was single,possibly to save money to travel, or help them out if money is tight for then, But if I was in a relationship nope. My ex wife and I lived with her parents for 4 years, because. ..and I quote she said" I like having no responsibilities" meaning,parents cooked, cleaned, paid her bills, did laundry. Where I live in California is a heavy Mexican population and that is the concept. It's actually encourage to stay with your parents. Mind you she's 36 and still lives with then now.

3. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Oh wow! In terms of leaving the nest... it sounds like she has some serious responsibility issues. I think this makes sense when you're starting out as a young adult or even if someone is unfortunate enough to fall on hard times. However, instead of a temporary thing of a year or two... she's working on decades.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

If you have a plan why not. If it's to build capital for a business or even a house why not. Independence is cool but high rent is insanely stressful. Rent is like 2k where I like now, I'd rather go home pay my family a couple hundred and stack for a few years and make some good moves.

5. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

As long as my sons can't stand me and save their money, they can live with me as long as they want.

If I got a long with my parents, I would do it.

6. Stizzy

Stizzy Well-Known Member

My children don't have to leave the nest. All we ask is that they are respectful and strive to be productive in life. Fortunately, my mom lives with me. There's nothing like having a mothers love around and it not clash with my lady. Perks: live in sitter, and breakfast at will. Haha

7. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

Culturally, a lot of mexican people don't stray far from home anyways. When you marry them you marry the whole family.

I'm not on good terms with my mother so I'd rather be homeless than stay with her.

8. K

K Well-Known Member

Agreed...and I have. I was out at 17.

My adult children: 28 year old is roommates with his dad (each pay their own), my 24 year old is living with me working and paying rent (much less than she would pay elsewhere) and her bills.

My oldest was on his own then he and his dad chose this route to help each other out. Daughter is moving out next year and getting married the following year.

I'm glad my kids have been able to plan and do things in a sensible way.

The only times I've thought it wasn't a good idea for adult kids to live at home is if their parents are disabling them.

9. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

I agree. It's all about the money.

My question to the brothers is about dating? Do I need to spell it out?

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

We can split a hotel room or wait for my parents to go to bed. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have a condo would have stayed home and paid for a house straight out. One of the main reasons I moved out was women. Not a smart choice. Notice how they don't really make any financial decisions based on us? That's where they are way smarter.

11. 4north1side2

The article wasn't about dating. You never referred to dating. You posted this in the conversations for between white women and black men.

I need you to spell out how the fuck you became a teacher.

12. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

I add onto the Convo. The statement "I don't need to spell it out" means take that issue where ever you want. Threads evolve all the time.

Stop being a lil bitch

13. 4north1side2

[​IMG]

It's a phrase to insult the intelligence of others, not a statement. Do I have spell that out for you?

14. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

If you took it that way. You are a lil bitch.....you chose the right picture . It fits you well. Moist ass

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  15. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Lol

You also notice the double standard. If a man lives at home then he's a loser. Women get a pass

16. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I agree IF the person has a plan like those you mentioned.

17. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

And also it's keeping money within the family.

18. K

K Well-Known Member

It can be tough either way. And for the parents too. More parents are single parents with adult kids living at home now too.

Nothing happens in my place.

I actually have had a more difficult time with all that later in life than I did when I was younger.

I know some people (men and women) who will place someone who's living alone over someone who's not just because it's so much more convenient.

19. goodlove8

goodlove8 Active Member

Yeah no doubt about that

20. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I would never assume a guy is a loser just because he lives at home but to get serious with a man living at his parents house, probably wouldn't work for me. Not for any other reason except I'd imagine we're in two completely different places with regard to responsibilities and I would think that would carry over to other aspects of our relationship and potentially cause problems. At my age, I have kids and have lived independently since age 18 and I'd want the person I'm dating (if serious) to be accustomed to a similar lifestyle/set of responsibilities. Same reason I could never get serious with someone who doesn't have kids. There's so much that comes with having kids (like needing to live on your own and provide for your babies), someone who hasn't been through it (in my experience) would have a very difficult time understanding.

I think if you're young, no kids, not married, stay at home and build the start to your financial future! Once you have those kids though, or choose to marry, you've chosen a different path imo. My kids can stay for as long as they want, as long as they're pursuing a goal and being responsible with their money coming in.