Starbucks' PR Disaster in Philly

Discussion in 'In the News' started by SilverSmith, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Lol..have ya been to some parts of Philly? Loitering is the local pastime.

Sometimes l can't go in a store because the damn door is blocked. And forget our local Chinese stores, lol. It's just so common.

Which is why this incident is baffling because Philly center City is like 70% Black residents. 18th & Spruce St is heading close towards West Philly. The manager really overreacted calling the Police.

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Ok..that's right, you do live in a suburban area. All it takes is one 'suspicious' asshole....

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I get it but I'm good. Not living my life on egg shells for anyone.

4. K

K Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people who do the same. It's a sad thing.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I hear you but ill say this the downside of building a life you want os the very real realization that it doesn't take much to destroy that shit

6. The Dark King

Was in Philly last summer. Holy shit there is a ton of homeless people and that's saying a lot when a New Yorker is surprised by the homelessness. The suburban areas are very nice though. I would live out there if thr circumstances were favorable

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I wasn't raised to do extra just to calm irrational fears of some whites, and I'm not gonna start now.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Bliss, cops ALWAYS have the discretion to reevaluate a situation and decide what's the appropriate response. Cops choose what's the appropriate amount of force to use, if any.

In fact, those cops could have decided we'll wait here with you until your friend arrives.
    Saying their only option was to put those two Black men in handcuffs over a misdemeanor offense that in normal circumstance for someone with no criminal record would result in dropped charges anyway, is just an excuse.
    I guarantee you if those young men where the sons of prominent families in Philly, there's no way anyone ends up in handcuffs.

Little story, I went to college in a major Northeast city and during my freshman year, I was out at 2AM in the local 'hood trying to score weed. After I finally got my hookup, a squad car drove up. Both officers said they say the whole thing go down and asked me, without putting on handcuffs, to get in the back of their squad car.

I was freaked out, and I all I could think to say was, "Yes sir."

Those cops drove me around for about 15-20 minutes and basically gave me a lecture on life. Once they were done, they dropped me off where they picked me up and told me to go back to campus.
    I know part of the reason I got 'special treatment' was because of where I went to school and because I didn't sound like I was from around there, but the point is, those cops could have said fuck it, we're going to take this punk back to the local precinct and put a drug conviction on his record.

In most minor cases, cops always have a choice about how to proceed.
    Same thing happened when I was 19 at the same school trying to buy a couple of keg balls for a house party and I got busted by an undercover cop for using a fake ID. He took the booze from me, said what I was doing was a serious crime and told me to stop fucking up.

There's no way their only option was to arrest those brothas. Not at all.

For too many cops, the easiest option is to put a Black man in handcuffs, which is a major part of the problem.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

10. The Dark King

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Blue state.

12. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed! I do think some take it too far. It does suck because a store like Starbucks in the city will often be small as space is limited. In cases like that I may scope out the place first if I'm interested in killing some time. I'm sure Starbucks is very much aware that people will hang out there not much different than people at bookstores. My understanding is that Barnes and Noble, and Wegmans actually encourage it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Agreed, and agreed! I do some of the same things. My thing is that I want folks to always be aware that I'm around so as to not startle anyone. When I'm running through neighborhoods, I tend to run in the street so as to be seen by anyone who may be outside. Also... At times like when walking to/from my car I may let my keys jingle just to say that"I'm here, and simply going about my business".

14. The Dark King

Not as recent as the last election though

15. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

@Beasty and @The Dark King fighting Civil War 2.0 up in this piece. Both of y'all ain't shit, satisfied???? :D

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

*dead*

I guess the 28 years before that don't exist.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol.

I'm out.

18. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Just to clarify I meant that in a joking way, I like both you cats

19. The Dark King

Lol shots fired

20. K

K Well-Known Member

I think Starbucks does as well. They have things set up so people can come in to use computers and hang out.