Starbucks' PR Disaster in Philly

Discussion in 'In the News' started by SilverSmith, Apr 16, 2018.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So weird they took that moment to be super strict with the rules. Anyone would agree calling the cops when you've been told they were waiting for a friend seems extreme.

2. The Dark King

When its the citizenry opening fire like in places like Florida and Alabama then you have a point. Police brutality is nationwide. No one tried to segregate my prom in my entire state how about you?

3. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Ironically, the friend they were waiting for was a middle-aged White male who looked bewildered as the farce unfolded. He can be seen on video inquiring of the police the circumstances under which the arrests were justified.

Crisis management 101: Don't call 911 if the customer is in no rush to order an overpriced latte.

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lol.

Not worth a serious reply.

5. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

Dot your I's and cross your t's then don't give them a leg to stand on. When they didn't buy something that gave them a leg .

6. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

This is a local incident here. What is not reported here is that STARBUCKS actually called the police to remove them for tresspassing.
    The cops arrived, asked them three times to leave and they refused, by law they had to arrest them to remove them.

This is why the CEO is flying out...because HIS Manager, who was following Starbucks company policy of "no buy, no toilet, no sit" called the police.
    This is all on Starbucks.

*** Mind you, there is another similar one in liberal CALIFORNIA of a Black guy who asked to use the bathroom. The either Asian or Hispanic woman said not unless he buys something.
    The guy then sees an Asian guy do the same thing as him but he gets buzzed in before buying something... I can link you to the video if you want..(l just hate the Website it's on). Let me know.

The guy is right though. Starbucks call the cops on him, too, because he's video-taping the incident, calling the manager out for not buzzing him in and she's arguing with him to leave, that "its a private business, etc". It's worth watching.

8. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

That's literally been reported everywhere and has been mentioned in this thread.

The California video was also linked in this thread.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

in Philly downtown, l was in one that had signs that said 'seating and WiFi is for paying customers'.
    Which makes sense.
    Do you go into a restaurant and just sit there and not order?
    Why don't you buy something, TDK? Go to a library if you wanna be cheap, lol!

10. The Dark King

For me I love the atmosphere the vibe is different in NY. A lot of artists and writers hang out there. I might not buy coffee right away like I might hang out talking it up with someone for a good half hour before I buy anything. Then again I usually tip well like 50 to 100 percent so I'm sure like others said they know who I am so they let me be.

11. The Dark King

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Oh see, you do buy something. If that's your M.O then they know your style. Fair enough.

13. Paniro188

Paniro188 Active Member

It's literally the same thing.

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I'm being told by philly cops family that the cops didn't even want to arrest them. Cops don't have the discretion if it's a call for tresspass removal from a place of business. Their hands were tied. They asked the guys several times to leave so they had an out. Starbucks need to own this BS.

15. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

I don't ever recall seeing a "restrooms are for paying customers only" sign at a Starbucks store. Having a policy that precludes individuals from ''trespassing ''or utilizing the restroom is purposeless if that rule is not applied objectively and universally.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

Interesting. I go to busy starbucks and there are always lots of people with computers and many aren't buying anything. Some will even get a free ice water. It kindof surprises me actually because some of them are in there for hours on end. It can be annoying when you are going in there and buying things and can't get a place to sit. Lately, I've been opting to go through a drive thru or some other place instead.

17. The Dark King

Yeah sorry to agree with the discretionary application of loitering. We keep playing this game where being black comes with some type of bs tax

18. The Dark King

No it really isn't. Its segregation based on limiting access because of how someone looks when minorities do it its usually a respite from living lives where spend all our time trying to make white people comfortable enough not to call the death squad on us.

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Curious..do you spend your life and all your time trying to make White people comfortable enough not to call the police on you? Or no. Serious question.

20. The Dark King

I'm hyper aware of movements. Like when I go jogging on a trail I make sure I run when I know theres a ton of people/witnesses in case of a misunderstanding. Sometimes when I'm in my building I'll take the stairs so some jumpy old white woman doesn't misunderstand the situation. I watch my tone I make sure not make sudden movements when I'm alone with strangers. It sounds weird but I live in an area where I'm a minority and because of that the assumption is guilty until proven otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List