SPAM emails

Discussion in 'PC Performance, Security, and Tips' started by Bookworm616, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

This isn't a problem with my computer, per se, but I didn't know where else to put it. LOL.

A couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine told me that she got a SPAM email from one of my Yahoo email accounts. I asked her to send it to me, and she did. The email went out to some (like 7) emails on my Yahoo Messenger list.

I changed my password and thought all was good.

Today, she gets another SPAM email from my account and again it's only to people (this time only 3) on my contact list.

Does this mean I'm going to have to give up on that email? I've had it for 11 years. It's so ridiculous, but it's not like it's sending it to random people, it's sending it to people only on my contact list. It's freaking me out a bit.

Is there anything I can do?

2. Espy

Espy New Member

That actually happens a lot with Yahoo Bookie. I get SPAM emails from other people who have me on their contact list, but I don't often add people to my contact list and no one has ever mentioned getting SPAM from me. It's likely some virus affecting Yahoo. They may have something on it in their FAQs.

3. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Mine has done the same thing. Once I deleted some suspicious contacts that I recently accepted cause I thought that I knew them, it stopped.

4. jayarmy

jayarmy New Member

This happened to me too some time ago. Yahoo told me to send the email IN FULL HEADERS to Postmaster@yahoo.com.

We usually receive the short version of an email without all of the other stuff we dont pay any attention to. Well that other so called garbage part of the email was what yahoo wanted to see.

They corrected my problem. I was even getting emails from MYSELF...LOL that were totally just spam. They fixed it in no time after I sent them the full email.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/basics/basics-31.html

The text will tell you its on the left side but I found mine on the right side.

Click on Full Headers

Forward that to postmaster@yahoo.com

Yahoo will take care of that for you or tell you to put the domain/email address on your block list.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/classic/abuse/abuse-09.html

I hope this helps you out. They fixed my problem with that. I would hate to give up my only constant email address that I opened so long ago.

5. GirlieGirl74

GirlieGirl74 Well-Known Member

Bookie, I had the same thing happen to me. I actually started getting mail delivery failures from some old email contacts that I hadn't deleted which alerted me to the emails being sent from my account. I called my computer tech guy, and he told me to change my password and my security questions on the yahoo account. That happened in September, and I haven't had any problems since then.

6. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Same here.. I couldn't even access my account w my old pass word... I was locked out... until I changed my password. Now all fine, I think:)

7. FRESH

FRESH New Member

We sound like a support group or AA.

8. mama

mama Well-Known Member

Im mama and Im a spamaholic. :smt024

9. Bookworm616

Thanks for the info, peeps!! I did change my password, but I will change it again. Hopefully that'll be the end of it. :smt023

10. FRESH

FRESH New Member

Hi. I'm FRESH, and my email hasn't sent an unwarranted email in 99 days.

11. Espy

Espy New Member

:smt042

12. Bookworm616

So, my friend sends me an email today saying she got yet another spam email from that same email address. ARGH!! She forwarded me the email and it's to the same people. It keeps sending it to the exact same people. It's creeping me out.

Anyway, I went in and changed my password AGAIN, changed my security questions and added a sign-in seal to my work computer and then to my home computer immediately when I got home.

I hope that's the end of it now. :smt067

13. veema

veema Member

Did you run a malware/virus scan before changing your password? If not, you may want to give it a try. Then do another scan after changing your password just for good measure.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ is a great site with tons of information on stuff like this. There are also forums where people will help you diagnose problems with your computer.

14. Bookworm616

I changed my password whilst I was at work, where a virus scan is done daily.

I just realized that I can no longer get AVG for free. :smt009 Not sure what I'm going to do to get free virus software on my computer. I guess it's time to start researching online.

Oh, and thanks for the website. I will check it out!

15. redlady

redlady Active Member

This happened to me too; but I gave up and deleated the e-mail address:confused: to bad I didn't think of asking for help!
    If you find free virus protection would you mind posting it? I need one too but I never know what to use.

I was tired of saying...
    Hi I'm red and I get drugs for penile enlargment spam from my contacts ..