Southern Living

Discussion in 'Dealing with Prejudice' started by justmel, Oct 1, 2012.

1. falcon

falcon New Member

Awwww Majic City...Well it was closed down by the Feds..at it was used by drug dealers to hide money from the IRS. Also it had ties to former mayor Bill Campbell. As you know he also went to jail also. So its gone along with FreakNik...

Have a Great Day....Better yet have two great days and give one away....The Joy of Giving

2. justmel

justmel New Member

I guess I will explore Atlanta, New Orleans, and Savannah and decide where or if I want to go from there. It's difficult trying to determine the best path sometimes.

3. falcon

falcon New Member

Atlanta is a great city...And I'm not just saying that because i reside here. The city has soo much to offer from the arts, culture, sporting events and concerts.

Have a Great Day...Better yet have two great days and give one away...The Joy of GIving

4. justmel

justmel New Member

Falcon, I love the idea of Atlanta, but I have only seen the tourist stuff the museum, CNN, world of coke. My only concern with Atlanta is the fact that I felt like I was going to get run over on the interstate. I'm also single and wanting to date bm. So I am just asking some questions, I surely didn't mean to offend anyone. I plan on visiting for a long weekend soon and seeing what I can find then. Thanks for all your help.

5. falcon

falcon New Member

Not offended....But when you get here...I will set you with a list of places to visit and take in...Now the traffic...thats another story, sometime you have to drive it like its stolen.

Have a Great Day...Better yet have two great days and give one away...The Joy of Giving

6. justmel

justmel New Member

Thanks falcon, I just might need that list. I def have to drive faster, which makes it harder to take in, I might just get on Marta and see if I can "see" more that way.

7. falcon

falcon New Member

You cant see too much from marta....It will only get you there but I guess that is the point.

Have a Great Day....Better yet have two great days and give one away...The Joy of Giving

8. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

Live in GA. Never had an issue. IR's have become quite common.

9. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

Atlanta is not an issue neither is Macon or Columbus and many surrounding areas. It's the backwoods you have to worry about.

10. ReginaStar

ReginaStar New Member

IMO the best place to be is in Metro Atlanta not necessarily Atlanta. Less traffic, more southern comfort, but still without the bull you would find out the middle of nowhere small towns.

11. free816

free816 New Member

me and my boys always wondered what happened , never forget seeing deon sanders in their and dude was 5'11 on a good day and thinking this skinny dude is the best athlete on the planet, use to go down every summer when I was a kid, aunt give me and my cousins some coin drop us off at 6 flags come get us when it got dark :) of course after Wayne Williams my mom was convinced he would get me

12. justmel

justmel New Member

Thank you Regina, I really appreciate the information. I am excited to have new possibilities but a little scared as well.

13. justmel

justmel New Member

Thank you so much, excited to explore New Orleans as well. I went once but didn't leave Bourbon Street.

14. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

As someone from Columbus who lived in Macon for a few years, this is pretty much spot-on. Neither of those is as open-minded as Atlanta though, especially Macon. Plus with Atlanta being as big a city as it is there are a lot more professional men there as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

15. justmel

justmel New Member

Thanks Since, I don't want to be anywhere where the majority of people are racist idiots. Why do those people tend to live in the sticks? Or is it that they just hide better around a large group of people? I do love men who are professionals well at least men who are doing something with their lives and so I appreciate your input.

16. Shoogadadie

Shoogadadie New Member

What's the bull exactly?

I just find that interesting because The A is one of the few cities where you will find minorities all over the city and suburbs. Having said that, there are WAY more IR couples in Gwinnett County than any other part of Atlanta. Which is no where near "in the city". Must not be too much bull... :smt101

17. Shoogadadie

Shoogadadie New Member

I see you are in Tennessee... I'm from there but live in Atlanta. Not sure which part of Tenn you are from but Atlanta has areas similar to the 3 biggest cities in Tenn.

(Disclaimer: this is a generalization)
    Dekalb & Cobb Counties are like Nashville
    Fulton & Henry are like Memphis
    While North Fulton & Gwinnett are like Knoxville

So if you have ever spent anytime in those cities in Tenn you can get an idea of what to expect. You will not have a "major" problem with IR dating in any of the areas. But it's typical of a southern city in that everyone (black or white) will not be ok with it. But it's common enough to where people are not going to make comments to you in public. The most would be a few funny looks... I don't even think anyone would stare. If so it's not because of the IR, it's because you are or your partner are Hott! ;-)

18. justmel

justmel New Member

I completely understand this. You speak Melissa, now do you like living in Atlanta?

19. falcon

falcon New Member

What you may want to keep in mind is that Atlanta and the metro area is an international city.. Many people move here becaouse of career transfers Ms. Star is correct it is the small towns areas that you will hear comments or get the looks.

Have a Great Day...Better yet have two great days and give one away...The Joy of Giving

20. justmel

justmel New Member

I love culture, arts, and music and Atlanta is looking better and better. Plus it would be a much closer less expensive move. I REALLY need a new start and hopefully in February I can complete the transfer, get a raise, and begin the next page in my life. Sounds like there are all kinds of opportunities to meet and learn from a variety of people, can't wait to visit in November.